Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have just noticed a small deposit of oil on my garage floor, had a quick look under the Terracan appears to be at the rear end forward of the rear axle, the vehicle has only done 35,000 miles (56,000kms). Will get it looked at properly asap, but any advice as to what it may be would be welcome..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Tilbo, I have had an oil leak from the flange seal on the differential. There was plenty of diff oil splashed around the underside of the floor above the differential. Also I have had a diesel leak which would leave a damp patch of diesel underneath the vehicle after being parked for a while. That was caused by the fuel sender in the fuel tank having corroded pipes which were leaking. Check whether it is oil or diesel that is on your garage floor. When I had the differential flange seal leaking their was also a very distinct smell like sulphur when you walked past the vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bddeazeley, it is without doubt oil & as you describe splashed around the floor,was it an easy fix ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again bddeazeley, have you the part number for the flange seal ?I presume it was a Hyundai genuine part. Thanks Mick..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Tilbo,

Have a read at this post http://www.hyundai-forums.com/155-terracan-forum/146238-rear-differential-flange-nut-removal.html
I think the part number was 53050H1170 and it is item number 53352 in the attached photograph.
I am not a mechanic merely a DIY man but as they say it's only nuts and bolts lol. It is not difficult if you have the appropriate tools and facilities there again I had neither apart from borrowed ramps. The large flange nut was very tight and I used a trolley jack (borrowed) to force the socket ratchet up to loosen the nut. Removing the old seal was fiddly because it was tight (a slide hammer would be useful here) and you have to be careful not to cause damage. I used the old seal which has a metal housing to chap the new seal into place. The flange that you remove after you remove the big nut had a slight groove worn in it by the seal but I did not replace the flange as some owners have and it worked ok on refitting. It appears to be a common problem and there are several posts on this and other forums. The Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero uses the same rear axle set up so check out their forums for rear pinion seal replacement information.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my usual mechanic has had a look, thinks it is best I take it in to my local main agent, i'll make sure I get a quote before any work is undertaken.. I believe there is Hyundai mechanic on here who is available for work, any idea who he is I think he is in Essex which is not too far from me .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the Terracan went in this morning to my local main dealer, as suspected diff seal is the problem.Have quoted £168.00 to do the job ,so I have given them the go ahead should have it back by the weekend..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got the Terracan back all sorted, washed as well & final bill came to £136.00 so I am happy with that !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts