Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've spent a lot of time trying to identify the source of an oil leak on the engine. It drips down on the engine coolant line which runs downhill to the water pump so at first I thought it was on the front side of the engine. But lots of cleaning and sitting under the engine while Idling has finally found the source of the leak. It is at the back right corner of the engine, near the valve cover, but I'm pretty sure it isn''t the valve cover gasket. I can see most of it.

However, there is an instrument just below the valve cover gasket which I suspect to be the leak. Can anyone reading this please help me identify the instrument? In the first picture the electrical connector is in the center of the photo (covered with gunk). The second photo shows the general area so you can figure out where the first photo is. In the first photo the bottom right is the PCV valve which is clear in the second photo. The connector is underneath the airtube from the turbo, just to the right of the engine lift connection. I thought maybe it was the VVT control solenoid, but found it on the opposite corner of the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks. Jerry

20210101_121217.jpg 20210101_122826.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Solved. It is the camshaft position sensor. Causing a bad oil leak. Of course all dealerships are closed. OEM part on amazon is $25. aftermarket discount part at local parts store is $70. I decided to order OEM part so can't fix until Monday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the new one today and slapped it in. It gets easier to work in a blind location after you've done it a few times. No oil leak. Wow that feels good. This one was hard to find. This thread should be easy to find if someone else has same problem. --Jerry

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep, my '13 sonata leaked there too. Wasn't bad enough to warrant replacing the thing. 14 SFS seems to be holding without a leak so far. Can you include the PN for the other poor soul who searches around next time. I believe that's the exhaust cam from what I remember.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang it. Replaced the cam position sensor and felt sure i had it fixed. Still leaking the same. I guess it must be the valve cover gasket. So I'm giving up on getting this fixed in time to send it back to college with my son. He will take my Nissan Rogue and I'll have a semester to work on this one. i'll update when I figure out the leak. --Jerry

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, moved on to the valve cover gasket and that fixed the leak. I think the cam position sensor was probably leaking too. Seems the leakage was all at the back right corner of the valve cover. Probably warmest right there above the turbocharger and exhaust manifold to the gaskets lose their rebound. Note that the valve cover gasket screws are shoulder bolts so tightening them does nothing.

The valve cover gasket was easy to replace after I spent an hour or more removing things. There are a large number gas, vacuum and other hoses on the right side of the engine that have to be pulled back and the mounting bolts loosened. That is a bit of a mess. The reason you pull off the air cleaner and hoses is to get to all of this stuff. The front engine lift bolt may not come all the way out but it comes out far enough. I did not replace the HP gas line as recommended. It is one time use per the lawyers. I have experience with this type of seal. when reusing tighten firmly but not too firm.

Now that I've got the big oil leak fixed I think I have a tiny one on the turbo charger oil line but it is easy to fix.

Jerry

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, my '13 sonata leaked there too. Wasn't bad enough to warrant replacing the thing. 14 SFS seems to be holding without a leak so far. Can you include the PN for the other poor soul who searches around next time. I believe that's the exhaust cam from what I remember.
Yep, back one is the exhaust. Part number is 39350-25010 . I now have a spare working one that needs an oring. --Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts