Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My I’m Karen and new here. I have a 2016 Hyundai Accent. Between the last oil change and the one I just had a few days ago I lost 3 1/2 quarts of oil. No leaking and no smoke. The mechanic I took it to said there was just a small amount of dampness around the valve cover. He couldn’t see any leaks. He said he did research and some Hyundai’s burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles with no issues. It was “ normal”
If I had checked the oil at 1000 miles it would have shown low.
Does this sound right?
Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
No. The quart every 1000 mile is just their standard deflection answer.

Are you sure it was full to start with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. The quart every 1000 mile is just their standard deflection answer.

Are you sure it was full to start with?
Well that’s what I was wondering when I discovered it was so low. I take it to the same place all the time for my oil changes. Of course they would probably not admit it hadn’t been filled

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
In your Owner's Manual somewhere it says to check the oil every time you get gas.
I do this with every new-to-me car until I determine how much, if any oil it uses.
I suggest going forward you do this too.
And check oil level yourself after a change, before leaving the shop.
My Tucson doesn't consume oil, but I still check every 1000 miles.
It's easy to look at the odometer and know when to check.
1000+ miles per quart is inconvenient, but not defective.
There are many Euro luxury cars that burn that much brand new.
Toyota says less than a quart per 600 miles is normal for warranty purposes.
Running an engine low on oil makes the remaining oil work harder and get hotter, increasing wear and consumption.
It's a vicious circle.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In your Owner's Manual somewhere it says to check the oil every time you get gas.
I do this with every new-to-me car until I determine how much, if any oil it uses.
I suggest going forward you do this too.
And check oil level yourself after a change, before leaving the shop.
My Tucson doesn't consume oil, but I still check every 1000 miles.
It's easy to look at the odometer and know when to check.
1000+ miles per quart is inconvenient, but not defective.
There are many Euro luxury cars that burn that much brand new.
Toyota says less than a quart per 600 miles is normal for warranty purposes.
Running an engine low on oil makes the remaining oil work harder and get hotter, increasing wear and consumption.
It's a vicious circle.
Thank you. That is very good advice. I know I should have been checking my oil often, but I never remembered to. I always had the oil changed every 3000 miles but not checking it in between changes was a mistake that will not happen again.

·
Registered
2016 Accent Hatchback 1.4MPI 6-speed manual
12 Posts
Hi
My I’m Karen and new here. I have a 2016 Hyundai Accent. Between the last oil change and the one I just had a few days ago I lost 3 1/2 quarts of oil. No leaking and no smoke. The mechanic I took it to said there was just a small amount of dampness around the valve cover. He couldn’t see any leaks. He said he did research and some Hyundai’s burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles with no issues. It was “ normal”
If I had checked the oil at 1000 miles it would have shown low.
Does this sound right?
Thanks
Audis and BMWs with recent GDI engines are known to burn excessive oil - even when brand new.
So too the new Toyota GDI engines - but to a lesser extent, since they also couple their fuel injection system with the older MPI technology, at lower engine RPMs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Audis and BMWs with recent GDI engines are known to burn excessive oil - even when brand new.
So too the new Toyota GDI engines - but to a lesser extent, since they also couple their fuel injection system with the older MPI technology, at lower engine RPMs.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Accent Hatchback 1.4MPI 6-speed manual
12 Posts
Audi, BMW, add Subaru and Toyota on a couple engines had this problem long before GDI came out.
Well actually, Audi (and VW) had their first gasoline direct injection engines since 2006. VAG called it FSI (Fuel Stratified Injection) aka GDI.

Audi Direct-Injection Issues & Carbon Deposits

BMW followed suit in 2007, with their first GDI N54 engine in the 335i model.

Thats when BMW’s engine-related woes started … including engine fires.

What is Direct Injection? BMW Direct Injection Explained

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,848 Posts
My '08 Accent burned a quart every 3k miles when new. Now it goes trough a half quart every 7500 miles with 183k miles on it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 2012 Accent has over 600,000 miles on it . I change the oil every month (4k-5k miles) and I have never had to add oil between changes. Just keep an eye on it. Defiantly check it after each oil change to check the work done.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
My 2012 Accent has over 600,000 miles on it . I change the oil every month (4k-5k miles) and I have never had to add oil between changes. Just keep an eye on it. Defiantly check it after each oil change to check the work done.
Dos this car a name or nickname? Deserves some sort of title for such loyalty. I'm assuming original motor, never been opened up? Is it ever turned off? If only it was metric, a snap shot of 999999 on the odometer rolling over , rare . (y)

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
949 Posts
Our gdi engines do lose some oil but can also use no oil if they're broken in right when new and revved as they should be.
mine used 0 oil between oil changes of 5,000 to 6,000 mile intervals. I've never had to add oil either.
So you may ask why is that? 🤔
I run the snot out of it and every on ramp I'm redlining the tach because it's fun to do and I know how these engines work at those rpm's.

Constant low revving and lugging the engine is one of the main causes of oil consumption as is the oil type you're using.
These engines aren't some big torque monsters and have to rev to stay clean and trouble free.
I stand by this. 😉

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dos this car a name or nickname? Deserves some sort of title for such loyalty. I'm assuming original motor, never been opened up? Is it ever turned off? If only it was metric, a snap shot of 999999 on the odometer rolling over , rare . (y)
nope, no nickname. Yep, engine never been open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts