Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Recently bought a 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T with 100k miles. This happen around 12/9/17. After a month it started to idle rough and start really hard. I research the issue and replace the ckps, battery and was ready to replace ignition or pump.
I saw that cylinder 1 & 2 had oil. I bought a line and vacuum it out.
That is when I decided to clean the throttle body. I discover there was oil on the line coming from the intercooler. Like about 1 quart.. The car did not start before. I cleaned the throttle body, clear the piping and everything back to normal.
Have rough idle but was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of. I Will take it to the dealer for the oil line recall. I'm thinking that is the reason for all this.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Don't know of the oil line recall but when you get a turbo car filling cylinders up with oil there's usually only one cause and that's rings/piston damage. It may be a turbo seal but I would think that would put oil into all cylinders. What is the engine oil level? On the off chance someone may have overfilled it but my suspicions are engine damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cylinder 3 and 4 were good. Maybe overfill but I'm thinking it could be the seals from the valve cover gasket. The oil inside the cylinders could be because of the oil that sucked the throttle body. The engine seems with power just feels like it slips. I'm assuming, it could be not enough oil. IDK, this is my first turbo car. Planning on buying a catch can. Will take it to the dealer to have it check. Thanks for the reply.
Edit: Engine oil is fine since I just did a change...but will see how it goes as time goes by. Will check it every time I drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know of the oil line recall but when you get a turbo car filling cylinders up with oil there's usually only one cause and that's rings/piston damage. It may be a turbo seal but I would think that would put oil into all cylinders. What is the engine oil level? On the off chance someone may have overfilled it but my suspicions are engine damage.
Hope its not that. Have not had white smoke or symptoms of piston damage. I check the prices and its not that bad for the parts. 35 per piston and 79 for the rings. Labor is where will vary. Will do a pressure test to see if its compression is good.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
From my experience when the oil is getting past the valve stem seals it mixes well with the fuel and burns leaving a hard crusty carbon deposit on the spark plug. When it's coming up past the rings the oil settles on the top of the piston and dosn't burn it just puddles so to speak and splashes around. A compression test may help but a cylinder leakage test is a better test to do. Catch can well it may help reduce a little but if it wasn't necessary when they built the car my guess is something is wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts