Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unpleasantly surprised to find a substantial amount of oil in the air filter box yesterday. I was replacing the air filter and when I pulled it out of the air box there oil dripping from the rubber seal. I used a flashlight to look inside the air box and the bottom of the box had a significant amount of oil pooled. The top side of the box (after the filter) was coated with fresh oil.
It's a 2017 Sonata 2.4 with only 16K miles. I don't know how long this has been going on but since it's a GDI engine I'm concerned that the valves must be severely coated with deposits.

I don't drive this car hard at all. And I'm the only driver.

I have to say... I'm extremely disappointed to find this happened. I already felt like I was taking a gamble with GDI. Now I think it was a huge mistake.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feel your pain. I feel the same way about this engine type. I have the 2015 2.0T with 50,000 miles on it already and I can't wait to trade this car in lol. Good luck and happy new years!

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I was unpleasantly surprised to find a substantial amount of oil in the air filter box yesterday. I was replacing the air filter and when I pulled it out of the air box there oil dripping from the rubber seal. I used a flashlight to look inside the air box and the bottom of the box had a significant amount of oil pooled. The top side of the box (after the filter) was coated with fresh oil.
It's a 2017 Sonata 2.4 with only 16K miles. I don't know how long this has been going on but since it's a GDI engine I'm concerned that the valves must be severely coated with deposits.

I have to say... I'm extremely disappointed to find this happened. I already felt like I was taking a gamble with GDI. Now I think it was a huge mistake.
Clean it out and see if it happens again. If it does, back to the dealer.

I had a car that did this. After a few years of running it I was losing oil, and found that blow-by into the intake was the main culprit. I cleaned out the throttle body, the intake plenum the MAF sensor, etc and added a quart of oil every 3 weeks.

It was a 23 year old Mazda 626. I just ran it. It was still running at 25 years old and I gave it away.

It may just be that someone spilled oil when they were filling it? That's why I say clean it out (or have the dealer do it, but it will only take you a few minutes) and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Running my oil catch can, it actually collects a decent amount of oil and gunk that I'm glad isn't being sent back into the intake anymore. Definitely bring it into the dealer and see what they say, and maybe invest in a OCC in the future to see if this continues to happen.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dougary, how is your oil level?
I do the oil changes myself with OEM filter and 5 qts. I use 5W30 synthetic.
The dip stick indicates a little over filled. About 1/2 inch over the Full notch.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Usually it's valve stem seal leaking. The part is super cheap but requires hours of labor. May need to remove the camshaft first. For older cars switch to high milage oil usually fix that. Maybe you did too much low speed driving, carbon deposits in PCV valve and mess up everything

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Usually it's valve stem seal leaking. The part is super cheap but requires hours of labor. May need to remove the camshaft first. For older cars switch to high milage oil usually fix that. Maybe you did too much low speed driving, carbon deposits in PCV valve and mess up everything
That's unlikely as this is a 2017 with only 16,000 miles. Oil changed every 3300 miles. If the valve stem seals are bad then this car is going straight to the Toyota dealer used car lot. LOL

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree. don't bother cleaning it so the dealer can see it themselves. Otherwise they may not take action just by seeing your pictures.

If you clean it it, it may take some time before it builds up again for them to open a case for warranty. If you still have the old filter, put it back in before you take it in. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Just thinking out loud here.If your engine was over filled with oil when you ran the intake valve cleaner thru the engine,that could be the culprit. Remember,you were at times holding the motor to around 2500 rpm for short periods,correct? I am guessing it is that and would drain some oil,replace the air filter,drive it for a few days and note conditions. If you get the same results,I would bring it to dealer at that point. Hard to imagine,with your mileage that rings ,valve stem seals or anything else is shot,especially with the way your car is maintained.Exactly,what oil and viscosity are you using?

It is also important not to over fill with oil as the crankshaft will whip the oil around causing it to foam which will not lubricate. If you ever checked the dip stick after a drive where temps reached operating temperature and you saw or see bubbles,that is not good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
that seems awfully clean for oil coming from the pcv.
maybe it just looks like it is clean in your pictures.

if you look at catch can oil, it is usually pretty black. like diesel oil black. so I would question where it came from.
It could also be as Airforce1 says and you over fill and that is some of the initial oil making it out explaining why it is so clean.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just thinking out loud here.If your engine was over filled with oil when you ran the intake valve cleaner thru the engine,that could be the culprit. Remember,you were at times holding the motor to around 2500 rpm for short periods,correct? I am guessing it is that and would drain some oil,replace the air filter,drive it for a few days and note conditions. If you get the same results,I would bring it to dealer at that point. Hard to imagine,with your mileage that rings ,valve stem seals or anything else is shot,especially with the way your car is maintained.Exactly,what oil and viscosity are you using?

It is also important not to over fill with oil as the crankshaft will whip the oil around causing it to foam which will not lubricate. If you ever checked the dip stick after a drive where temps reached operating temperature and you saw or see bubbles,that is not good.
Yes... I ran that CRC thru the intake 3 weeks ago. In fact, I recall taking out the air filter to inspect and there was no oil at that time.
The 17 Sonatas have the orange dipstick. If that means the full mark is already higher than the yellow dipstick by one qt then being over the full mark on the orange stick could be significant.
But I'm certain that I only put in 5 qts at every oil change (always with a new filter). But the dipstick says its over the F mark.
Aren't the newest 2.4L engines 5.1 qt systems?

·
Registered
2021 Sonata SEL
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay... now I'm really getting confused.
The dipstick has L and F stamped on it. But just above L is a tiny hole. Just below F is a tiny hole. Are the holes the high and low marks... or the L and F stamps what I need to be looking at?
Because the dipstick is quite a bit above the F hole and a tiny bit over the F stamp.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts