Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 XG 350. I'm trying to find an oil filter wrench that will fit on the end of a Hyundai factory oil filter. Does anyone know the size or where I can get one. I'm having trouble finding one that fits the end.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an adjustable one that I got at the local store. As long as you can get a enough of the chain on the filter, you just need to break it free.

but if you're asking because someone torqued it down like crazy, you need to do two things.

1. **** them out for doing that.
2. never go there again, allow whomever to work on your car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for the round type that fits over the end and then I can use my ratchet on it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I use an old Toyota cup from bak in mid-late '80's when the 4 cylinders used a larger filter before they went munckin around 1990..

The Toyota 4cyl munchkin cup fits the small black filter used on the 2.7 for little bit..

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I made my own filter wrench. The process requires a welder and some steel, but a friend with a welder can do it for you, too.

1) Get a spare OEM oil filter from the dealer to use as a pattern. 2) Cut a disc just a little larger than the diameter of the filter from steel at least 1/8 inch thick. 3) Cut some pieces of 1/8 x 1/2 inch steel about 1 inch long. 4)Place one of these pieces against a flat section of the filter the wrench will grab. Tape it to the side of the filter or use hose clamps to fit around the filter and hold the 1/8 x 1/2 inch steel piece against the filter. 5) Set the filter on the steel disc from step 2 and center it. Weld the 1/8 x 1/2 inch piece of steel to the steel disc. 6) Tape or clamp a piece of 1/8 x 1/2 inch steel to the other side of the filter and weld it to the disc. Continue placiing pieces of 1/8 x 1/2 inch steel around the filter so they fit against it firmly and weld them to the steel disc. 7) Bend a piece of 1/8 inch steel rod to make a circle that fits around the 1/8 x 1/2 inch pieces you welded to the disc and tack weld the circle to the 1/8 x 1/2 inch pieces. This is to keep the steel pieces from opening when the wrench is in use. 8) Weld some square steel tubing to the other side of the steel disc to make a square socket for a ratchet wrench. (I used some 1/2 inch square tubing because the internal size fits a 3/8 inch ratchet. I slipped some 3/4 inch tubing around it and welded it in place for extra strength. Or, an old socket could be welded to the disc to provide a mount for a ratchet wrench.) 9) Check the fit of the wrench on a filter. Grind any tight spots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts