Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what size oil filter wrench I need for my 2009 Sonata 2.4L engine? Thanks!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
The 4 cyl uses a Purolator 14459 oil filter, take one out of the box and check it against the filter wrench you are looking to get. I personally got the one that's like a claw that mounts onto a regular ratchet. It's the smaller size.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Depends on the filter you get. The factory filter can be a different size than some aftermarket ones. I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I use an old TOYOTA filter cup on the Hyundai - Kia blue filters.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is one special type of filter wrench that will fit any screw-on style filter... Stab an icepick through it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jul 7 2010, 07:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339660
There is one special type of filter wrench that will fit any screw-on style filter... Stab an icepick through it.
At the local J-Lube, they use an old rusty pair of Channelock slip joint pliers to remove oil filters.

They also use the same tool for every other type of work they do.

Autozone carries the best line of cup wrenches if you like - or need - this type of filter wrench.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought one from Harbor Freight for about $4.00 that looks like a can opener for a glass Mason Jar, a circle with two handles and you just put the circle around the filter and squeeze the handles until the circle is tight on the filter or cap,and then turn the cap or filter off. I use it on all of my cars.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'll be sliding under my I4 this weekend for a change of dino. It's interesting to read some of the comments/suggestions. Four years under mine and I can do it in 2 beers...6 if I forgot the opener. :banana:

Stab it with a pick etc...I could go on... :00000732: Have these folks changed a 4 yet...with the plastic in place? :gitara:

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Jul 9 2010, 11:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340429
Stab it with a pick etc...I could go on... :00000732: Have these folks changed a 4 yet...with the plastic in place? :gitara:
Actually, I just did the first oil change on mine today. I had to take off that massive under-shroud, but the ice pick still worked. The car was a Service Loaner before I got it, so the dealer did the first two oil changes, and I'm not entirely convinced they didn't use an air powered wrench to put on the oil filter. I'm not bragging, but I'm a strong guy, and this is the first oil filter I've encountered in years that I couldn't pull off by hand. I just put the shroud back on afterwards, and I expect to put my arm up through that ultra-convenient hole and remove this one by hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts