Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 has lost oil twice now due to leaking oil from the filter housing and cap seat. My guess is I'm not putting the gasket in the right spot or it's kinking.
I've put the gasket on the wide rung towards the middle, and this time it was towards the top. It's always VERY difficult to tighten down once it's past half way. It's on straight and oiled up. Wife has been driving it with about 3 quarts of oil for unknown amount of miles, but it's been almost 4k since changed. Oil leaked all around the housing where the cap screws on, again.

Not taking changes with it happening a 3rd time and with 110k miles after it lost all oil on the highway, knocked, but came back to life.
WHERE is it supposed to go and how?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
If you look at the screw cap there's a machined groove. That's where it goes. Don't forget to lubricate the O ring seal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
See the attached file, @CraigB_TX originally created this I added the verbage about loosening it and waiting 5 minutes for draining, but it's a really good tutorial.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I couldn't find anything anywhere. That's where I put it. I even poured new oil all over the outside of the cap so I can rule that out. It is VERY hard to tighten down once it hits that o-ring like it's bending but there's no way. Still don't actively see oil leaking.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That seems odd, New O-ring?
If it is in the 'correct' groove should go on easy,
but still require 'tools' not finger tight to the base.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 2016 has lost oil twice now due to leaking oil from the filter housing and cap seat. My guess is I'm not putting the gasket in the right spot or it's kinking.
I've put the gasket on the wide rung towards the middle, and this time it was towards the top. It's always VERY difficult to tighten down once it's past half way. It's on straight and oiled up. Wife has been driving it with about 3 quarts of oil for unknown amount of miles, but it's been almost 4k since changed. Oil leaked all around the housing where the cap screws on, again.

Not taking changes with it happening a 3rd time and with 110k miles after it lost all oil on the highway, knocked, but came back to life.
WHERE is it supposed to go and how?
Seems like the filter cap is not full seated. Make sure the filter nipple is fully inserted in the housing socket. I also pre-stretch and lube the edge of filter fabric hole to help that cap plug fully engage. Attached is a photo summary of what I'm talking about.

In addition, this YouTube video may be helpful:

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 3.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks, I'll try the above method. I use oem filters always with a new ring, oiled up and tightened down. Still see it bubbling slowly towards the back of it. Leaked enough to wet everything on an hour drive. I ordered a new cap. I'm hoping it's not the housing but I won't know until it comes in Friday. I'm SOL until then. I've done the oil every 5k for 100k miles and it's only the second time it happened. But I'm assuming its me and not the cap.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
The cap may be cracked. Might have a real good look at it. I don't know if they sell it separately but when I checked for one 10 years ago you had to buy the entire assembly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts