Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post

I have always had the oil and filter changed at the same time, but recently have switched to full synthetic oil and wanted to know if the filter should be changed in between oil changes?
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
407 Posts
In the larger scheme of things and where we budget or spend money, is it worth skipping $6 on a new oil filter? I believe Honda is a proponent of changing the oil filter every alternate oil change, doubt Hyundai would go that route.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
Oil and filter everytime

Changing the oil and not the filter would leave old oil in the filter to mix with the new oil
This would accomplish diluting the new oil with used oil

Changing the oil and filter every time gives you the best results from changing oil
Money well spent

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hi everyone, first post

I have always had the oil and filter changed at the same time, but recently have switched to full synthetic oil and wanted to know if the filter should be changed in between oil changes?
Thanks
Bob
Full synthetic oil does not change the oil or filter change intervals.

You change both at the same time as required by the maintenance section of your owners manual.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
From what I read, it seems like he is using a 20k mile oil and wants to change the filter every 10k? Is that correct? or along those lines...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Regardless of oil type used always change oil and filter together as per owner’s manual service intervals.
I do not believe in extended service intervals as oil and filters are cheap compared to possible engine wear or long term damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I frequent a very popular oil site that is everything you want to know about oil and filters-as well as tires and other things. Many, many hundreds (if not thousands) oil filters with 5,000 to 7,000 miles have been cut open (the spin on type) and just about all have to have been found to be OK for another oil change interval.

The best oil filters on the market are made with synthetic media (Fram Ultra, Mobil One, etc.)-which I don't believe are available for the element change only filter that the 6 cylinder Santa Fe XLs have.

With that being said if you use a Fram Tough Guard (or equivalent) which is a semi synthetic (synthetic and cellulose) media you could change every other oil change with no issues.

The Tough Guard is available for about $11.00 online-and also for a little more at Walmart.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
In the larger scheme of things and where we budget or spend money, is it worth skipping $6 on a new oil filter? I believe Honda is a proponent of changing the oil filter every alternate oil change, doubt Hyundai would go that route.
Read the post...between changes.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Nobody here knows how to read.....BETWEEN CHANGES.......If you like wasting your time and money go ahead. Change both at 15,000 miles and you are good. The only thing needed between changes is to check oil level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nobody here knows how to read.....BETWEEN CHANGES.......If you like wasting your time and money go ahead. Change both at 15,000 miles and you are good. The only thing needed between changes is to check oil level.
OK we miss read it.

And no-he would need to perform a UOA (used oil analysis) to see how the oil is holding up after a 15,000 mile run.

There are a couple of services that do this-Blackstone Oil for one.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
OK we miss read it.

Looks like another mis-read.

And no-he would need to perform a UOA (used oil analysis) to see how the oil is holding up after a 15,000 mile run.

I said change both at 15,000....why the UOA? Do you know how much a lab charges to do that? I do. Had to have it done a few times to prove things against law suits.

There are a couple of services that do this-Blackstone Oil for one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I frequent a very popular oil site that is everything you want to know about oil and filters-as well as tires and other things. Many, many hundreds (if not thousands) oil filters with 5,000 to 7,000 miles have been cut open (the spin on type) and just about all have to have been found to be OK for another oil change interval.

The best oil filters on the market are made with synthetic media (Fram Ultra, Mobil One, etc.)-which I don't believe are available for the element change only filter that the 6 cylinder Santa Fe XLs have.

With that being said if you use a Fram Tough Guard (or equivalent) which is a semi synthetic (synthetic and cellulose) media you could change every other oil change with no issues.

The Tough Guard is available for about $11.00 online-and also for a little more at Walmart.

Like you I have read views and opinions on oil and oil filters sites.
Cutting up a filter tells very little about its performance.
A used filter would need to be flow and pressure tested in a certified lab to determine if one filter is better than the next, but in any case why would a person choose to leave a contaminated oil filter on their pride and joy and then proceed to fill their engine with good quality oil.
Filters are cheap insurance and allow one to sleep at night knowing that they have done, in my view the correct thing in maintaining their vehicle.
Of course this is simply my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like you I have read views and opinions on oil and oil filters sites.
Cutting up a filter tells very little about its performance.
A used filter would need to be flow and pressure tested in a certified lab to determine if one filter is better than the next, but in any case why would a person choose to leave a contaminated oil filter on their pride and joy and then proceed to fill their engine with good quality oil.
Filters are cheap insurance and allow one to sleep at night knowing that they have done, in my view the correct thing in maintaining their vehicle.
Of course this is simply my opinion.

Cutting open an oil filter will tell you (visually) how the media is holding up as well as the condition of the bypass valve. If that valve is still pliable and will still do it's job under the condition when it needs to open. I assume you know that -oil filters catch the following-
99% particle removal that are 10 micron in size
98% particle removal that are 7 micron in size
95% particle removal that are 5 micron in size

In a good synthetic media filter you would have to have one dirty motor to even begin to restrict the flow of oil-thus having unfiltered oil go through the bypass.

In addition-there is no way to get all of the dirty oil out of the motor during a change-and the amount left in a filter not changed is very small.

I stand by my statement that a QUALITY oil filter is good for two OCIs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cutting open an oil filter will tell you (visually) how the media is holding up as well as the condition of the bypass valve. If that valve is still pliable and will still do it's job under the condition when it needs to open. I assume you know that -oil filters catch the following-
99% particle removal that are 10 micron in size
98% particle removal that are 7 micron in size
95% particle removal that are 5 micron in size

In a good synthetic media filter you would have to have one dirty motor to even begin to restrict the flow of oil-thus having unfiltered oil go through the bypass.

In addition-there is no way to get all of the dirty oil out of the motor during a change-and the amount left in a filter not changed is very small.

I stand by my statement that a QUALITY oil filter is good for two OCIs.
Thank you for the response and like you I stand by my comments. Carrying out a visual inspection does not always tell the full story as to the serviceably of an item, it is simply the first step. We both live in free countries and can express our views so no problem. In my trade we have a saying “if in doubt chuck it out, “or in Irish” to be sure to be sure”

1 - 16 of 16 Posts