Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum here and first off want to say hi to everyone. I have just purchased a used 2005 Hyundai Accent GLS 3-door 1.6 5-speed with 50,200 miles. I purchased my car from a dealership that sells GM products new so when I got the car it had a crappy AC Delco oil filter and who knows what kind of oil in it. The first thing I did was change the oil. I used Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 and a Purolator oil filter.

Before I changed the oil the car was making a slight rattling sound like a valve rattle or knock but only when the engine was cold and only at low RPMs. When I first changed the oil this went away but after having put about 1000 miles on the car since the oil change the sound has returned. I have read online somewhere and seen the TSB from Hyundai warning about a similar problem when not using a genuine Hyundai filter. I don't want to change the oil again after such a short use but this is what I will do if need be. I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this and if the Hyundai filter does fix the problem.

Also is it best to use 5w30? The manual says to use either a 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi ajsykes07. Welcome to the club.

I also just bought an '03 Accent GT 3-door 5-speed a couple months ago. Though mine has 115k miles. I think you made a good choice with the oil and filter that you used. Purolator Pure-One filters are very good filters compared to most off the shelf choices. Mobile1 filters are comparable. Buy whichever you can get for the least amount of money.

The noise you hear is very common on these engines, and 9 out of ten times its the HLA's (Hydraulic Lash Adjusters). Most people just refer to them as the valve lifters. Ether way you have 3 choices. Remove and replace them. This would be the most work and the most expensive. You could use a product called AutoRX and clean your engine out. Most likely freeing the gunk/sludge possibly built up inside the HLA's. Allowing them to fill with oil faster and function as designed. This would be a little bit of work (changing your oil) and a moderate expense. Or you could just live with it. As its most often only an issue on start-up.

I have yet to do so, since like you, I just did an oil change right after getting my hands on the car. But I'm going to be using the AutoRX product with a 5w-20 mineral based (dyno) oil for the clean and rinse phase. Then switching to either 0w-30 synthetic AMSoil with their Ea filter, or 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra with a Purolator Pure-One filter.

As far as your question of oil grade. All oil is too thick at start-up! And most all oils perform the same when warmed up. Since most all engine wear occurs during cold start-up, thinner oil is recommended. I'd go with a 0w or 5w, 20 or 30 grade oil. If you want some links to some good reading on this subject pm me and let me know. I've done a lot of research on this stuff. I'll hook you up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the 2 bottles of Auto-RX I order last week. (One to use now. The other for later if I need it). I am going to do the basic application as described on Auto-RX's site. I will let everyone know the results as I see them. I hope to notice a difference during the cleaning cycle, I will also let everyone know what the oil is like when I change it for the rinse cycle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts