Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...thinking about trying to an oil change on my car for my first time. Could anybody tell me the part number for a Genuine Hyundai filter that would fit my Accent? Pretty sure the Genuine Hyundai filters come with a crush washer for the drain plug...?

Also thought about getting a Wix filter, but not sure if they come with a crush washer or not.

Is it hard to change the filters on these cars when it is up on ramps? I'd read somewhere that people take the right-front wheel off, but I'd rather not have to do that unless I have to. I've already got strap wrenches and a drain pain, so other than the filter, I should be good to go! Any help would be appreciated! :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about getting a factory part. I've been changing oil on my 2007 since I got it and have never used a factory part. Fram, Wix, any of their higher end oil filter models are fine. Since I have 175K miles I use synthetic high mileage oil and a matching synthetic oil filter.

Here's where everyone will start bitchin - since I'm using synthetic I usually run 5000 miles between changes.

For my 2007 I can't roll up on ramps, the front bumper is too low, I think that's the same as 2009. In lieu of that I jack up the front passenger's side with a dolly. Remember to engage the emergency brake and a block/large rock behind the back tire. The jack point is a little behind the wheel, look for the lowest piece of metal under the car, it looks like an edge that runs the length of the body. Anyways, less than a foot from the front tire there are a couple indents in the metal edge, those are the jack points.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ramp and have used it for other things with this car several times, so for my ramps (at least), my car can get up them fine. :)

Any idea of the part number for the Wix filter and whether it comes with a crush washer or not?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your ramps work? I'm jealous.
No idea on the Wix part number, I usually just ask at the counter. In the old days they'd hang a cross reference book by the filters.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a ramp and have used it for other things with this car several times, so for my ramps (at least), my car can get up them fine. :)

Any idea of the part number for the Wix filter and whether it comes with a crush washer or not?
OEM part number is 26300-35505.

As others have stated, not really necessary to stick to OEM for an oil filter. Rock Auto generally has the cheapest prices, but since you have to pay for shipping you need to buy a lot of them (e.g. a dozen) to achieve real savings vs. buying from a local store.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Here's where everyone will start bitchin - since I'm using synthetic I usually run 5000 miles between changes.

In lieu of that I jack up the front passenger's side with a dolly. Remember to engage the emergency brake and a block/large rock behind the back tire. The jack point is a little behind the wheel, look for the lowest piece of metal under the car...
No bitchin' here! How do you jack a car with a dolly? You forgot jack stands!?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm an OSHA accident waiting to happen. My HOA won't let me work on my car on the road so I have to use my driveway. My drive way is one lane wide and a healthy slant. I HAVE to block my tires or my car starts rolling once I jack up the front. Really, I'm barely lifting the tire off the ground. Consequently, I skip the proper use of jacks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The plastic Rhino ramps work on the large air-dam on the Sonata!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rhino ramps are great, but they can still fail. It's still a good idea to use jack stands if you're getting underneath the car just in case....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If they did fail they would collapse and move the vehicle side-ways...probably taking the jack stands with it. You would need a screw-jack to take off some of the weight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If they did fail they would collapse and move the vehicle side-ways...probably taking the jack stands with it. You would need a screw-jack to take off some of the weight.
If the jack stand is placed underneath the frame rail pinch weld and the head elevated as high as it can go, the car would drop less than an inch before it's caught. This will not take the jack stand with it. But hey, it's a free country and one can work as safely (or not) as one wishes to....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
...again, you are assuming a lot, and I'm not saying don't be cautious or safe! :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
Voivod
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing