Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 santa fe with the 2.7 engine. I would like to change my own oil but I'am unable to find any oil filter wrench to remove the factory short filter. Anyone else ever had this problem? If so, what did you use to remove the short factory oil filter? If I get the old filter off I will use a longer filter to solve this problem.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yes, the 2007-09, 2.7L filter points straight down and is kind of tucked up in there. I had difficulty with the first oil change and was able to use an old school strap type oil filter wrench (at an angle) to loosen that filter. From then on I make sure I don't put them on that tight, therefore I'm able to remove them by hand. BTW, the genuine Hyundai filters are built like a bomb shelter. They're really nice. I've cut them open and are very impressed with the build quality of them. I buy them online for $5-6/ea.

Like you say, finding a filter that will thread on and seat properly, that is longer to allow more "grab" is an option. People will squawk and say you're flirting with disaster because of bypass rates and whatnot. For decades I've used 'my own' filters on various vehicles and engines w/ no issues what so ever. For instance, used to run "PH8A" sized on my Jeeps and Fords as opposed to the much shorter OEM size, plus I run "FL400's" on my Kohler V-twin mower engines.

Joel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts