Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car, (honda) is notorious for having stripped oil pan drain plug people don't even flinch when it's stripped, they just re-thread.

I know german cars' bolts torque specs are "guten'tight" :p but what about hyundai??? (well i'll be working on 12 elantra) is there specific torque for oil drain plug? or can i just go by 25-30 (of course i can, but i would like to know if there's any info available)

additional question : is there such a "crush washer" in the drain plugs of hyundai that is supposed to be replaced every drain??

i can't sleep i have to figure this out before i get to it lol anyone having similar symptoms?

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
I torque mine to 30, no issues. Also yes there is a washer, they call it a crush washer but its not really one. You can use it more than once, some ppl flip it over. I used mine about a year before swapping it out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I torque mine to 30, no issues. Also yes there is a washer, they call it a crush washer but its not really one. You can use it more than once, some ppl flip it over. I used mine about a year before swapping it out.
Awesome! Assuming the worst, that the washer's been there for 12k miles I guess I'll just buy/ask for one when I buy the filter.

Thank you again someguy

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Yeah if its been on there for 12k that should be fine. I wont be leaving mine a whole year again because it was a pain to get off the bolt but it wasnt leaking oil. Use Hyundai/Kia filter and the dealer will have some washers too. Mine thinks these parts are made of gold though so I got my filters and washers on ebay.

Also the cap wrench you need is 15flute 80mm, its tight in there for adjustable wrench.

and 17mm on the drain plug.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah if its been on there for 12k that should be fine. I wont be leaving mine a whole year again because it was a pain to get off the bolt but it wasnt leaking oil. Use Hyundai/Kia filter and the dealer will have some washers too. Mine thinks these parts are made of gold though so I got my filters and washers on ebay.

Also the cap wrench you need is 15flute 80mm, its tight in there for adjustable wrench.

and 17mm on the drain plug.
darn dealers right? my acura dealer wants $45 for air bag trim nail lol.

i was thinking i could just hammer a screwdriver through the filter and spin it off? always did it like that when mine wouldn't come off(honda)

we're both students and tight on cash so i prefer not to buy tools unless necessary, (btw you made the ramps sound REALLY necessary, i am sold lol)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I torque mine to precisely "good and snug using a short-handled ratchet". In 30 years of doing oil changes I have neither stripped a drain bolt nor experienced a leak due to insufficient tightening... touch aluminum.

As for the crush washers, 95% of the time you can re-use them with no problem. It's the other 5% that makes it not worth it to try IMO.

·
22,787 Posts
For the OCD-er's: 25-32 foot pounds of torque on the oil pan drain bolt. I've done both: hand tightened AND torqued the bolt. And Don is "spot-on" with regard to reusing that crush washer. I have flipped mine over and used the other side many times. However, most of the time when I bought a Hyundai filter, my parts guy would throw a washer in on the deal. I have about a half dozen in the garage. One time he charged me a $1.00. I was livid.

Now I get free oil/filter changes for life, every 3,750 miles. It was a promotion at the time I bought my 2013. So far, so good. They haven't screwed up anything, YET. How do I know? This 63-year old raises the hood, pulls the dipstick, looks underneath for drips, spills, etc. All BEFORE leaving the dealership. I don't care what they think. My car, my rules!

·
Registered
196 Posts
On my Mazda 6 it has a cartridge filter so I always use a torque wrench, but as far as the drainplug I have used these on my last 3 vehicles and LOVE them. I hadn't been to their site in a couple of years, so I got redirected. Formerly known as Fumoto valves.

·
Registered
467 Posts
my car, (honda) is notorious for having stripped oil pan drain plug people don't even flinch when it's stripped, they just re-thread.

I know german cars' bolts torque specs are "guten'tight" :p but what about hyundai??? (well i'll be working on 12 elantra) is there specific torque for oil drain plug? or can i just go by 25-30 (of course i can, but i would like to know if there's any info available)

additional question : is there such a "crush washer" in the drain plugs of hyundai that is supposed to be replaced every drain??

i can't sleep i have to figure this out before i get to it lol anyone having similar symptoms?
Every car I've ever worked on has had a specific torque spec for the drain plug. I'm sure if you looked in the service manual for a German car you'd find one that wasn't just "guten'tight."

Hyundai's do have specific torque specs for drain plugs. You'll find this info at www.hyundaitechinfo.com

Hyundai makes all their service manuals and other docs available for free there. All you have to do is sign up for a free account.

Many people/shops are too lazy to look up the specs or don't have torque wrenches. I have torque wrenches and I like doing jobs properly, so I always torque my drain plugs to spec. I've never stripped one.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So far, so good. They haven't screwed up anything, YET. How do I know? This 63-year old raises the hood, pulls the dipstick, looks underneath for drips, spills, etc. All BEFORE leaving the dealership. I don't care what they think. My car, my rules!
Glad to see I'm not the only one who does that...

...The one time I didn't, with a previous car of mine, I made it about three blocks from the shop before the oil pressure light started flickering. I immediately pulled over and shut the car off, got out and saw a trail of oil going backwards from my car...almost all the way back to Firestone. (I was using a local Firestone franchise to do my normal servicing at the time.)

Seems the service tech forgot to take the gasket from the old oil filter off the block before screwing the new one on. No damage to the motor - I didn't run it dry, and believe me I did have the car checked out throughly afterwards - but after an irate phone call back to the shop, the mechanic in question ended up redoing the oil change right there on the side of the road, with the car jacked up on the paved shoulder as traffic whizzed past at 45 mph. Needless to say, I also got my money back...along with an extra ten bucks for a couple of trips through the car wash to get the oil off my undercariage and the bottom of the pan and transmission housing.

The next time I visited that particular Firestone dealer, they had a new service tech... :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is recommended to change the crush washer at every oil change. However people get away with using the same one for years.
I'm borderline clinically OCD so,,, i'll just spend a dollar and have a peace of mind. thank you.

I torque mine to precisely "good and snug using a short-handled ratchet". In 30 years of doing oil changes I have neither stripped a drain bolt nor experienced a leak due to insufficient tightening... touch aluminum.

As for the crush washers, 95% of the time you can re-use them with no problem. It's the other 5% that makes it not worth it to try IMO.
nice arm you got there :p i'm never physically apt so I need torque wrench to tell me when to stop.

For the OCD-er's: 25-32 foot pounds of torque on the oil pan drain bolt. I've done both: hand tightened AND torqued the bolt. And Don is "spot-on" with regard to reusing that crush washer. I have flipped mine over and used the other side many times. However, most of the time when I bought a Hyundai filter, my parts guy would throw a washer in on the deal. I have about a half dozen in the garage. One time he charged me a $1.00. I was livid.

Now I get free oil/filter changes for life, every 3,750 miles. It was a promotion at the time I bought my 2013. So far, so good. They haven't screwed up anything, YET. How do I know? This 63-year old raises the hood, pulls the dipstick, looks underneath for drips, spills, etc. All BEFORE leaving the dealership. I don't care what they think. My car, my rules!
yay finally some info for OCDer lol good info i'll visit local dealership and ask if this car's eilgible for free oil change. if not, i'll do it.

On my Mazda 6 it has a cartridge filter so I always use a torque wrench, but as far as the drainplug I have used these on my last 3 vehicles and LOVE them. I hadn't been to their site in a couple of years, so I got redirected. Formerly known as Fumoto valves.
I WAS going to install that, yes it's easier & good but not a necessity. PLUS it drains super slow so i'd just risk getting facial by the engine lol

Every car I've ever worked on has had a specific torque spec for the drain plug. I'm sure if you looked in the service manual for a German car you'd find one that wasn't just "guten'tight."

Hyundai's do have specific torque specs for drain plugs. You'll find this info at www.hyundaitechinfo.com

Hyundai makes all their service manuals and other docs available for free there. All you have to do is sign up for a free account.

Many people/shops are too lazy to look up the specs or don't have torque wrenches. I have torque wrenches and I like doing jobs properly, so I always torque my drain plugs to spec. I've never stripped one.
thank you for the great website. i have access to acura service manual for my car but didn't know where to find one for hyundai.

and i know guten'tight was just a joke hehehe

·
6,836 Posts
Having had 2 Hondas in a row before my Elantra, one of them ('91 Civic) had both a dented oil pan and a stripped drain plug when I bought it. The oil change place accused me of causing both and warned me that I shouldn't "drive over curbs." OHH BROTHER. :rolleyes: Anyway, so I know about that issue, and it's annoying.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having had 2 Hondas in a row before my Elantra, one of them ('91 Civic) had both a dented oil pan and a stripped drain plug when I bought it. The oil change place accused me of causing both and warned me that I shouldn't "drive over curbs." OHH BROTHER. :rolleyes: Anyway, so I know about that issue, and it's annoying.

i have service history of my car since new ( knew the previous owner) and guess what, all maintenance was done at acura dealership, and first oil change under my ownership, stripped metal (of the thread) comes out with the drain plug :(

seriously, how hard is it to remember 28lb-ft

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not hard. But to make room in my head I'd have to forget my anniversary, and most of what's left of Grade 11 math. I'll just keep hand-tightening ^_^
:D at least you have good hands. those jiffy lube and whatnots think drain bolt is some kind of lugnut :/

I went to Mr. Lube with my aunt in Canada and when they were tightening it on her camry, i could feel the car shake. not joking.

·
6,836 Posts
:D at least you have good hands. those jiffy lube and whatnots think drain bolt is some kind of lugnut :/

I went to Mr. Lube with my aunt in Canada and when they were tightening it on her camry, i could feel the car shake. not joking.
Yeah, it was Jiffy Lube who stripped my Honda Civic's gasket and accused me of denting the oil pan. :mad:

Oil Can Henry's wasn't much better. Took my Elantra there the first time I got the oil changed instead of the dealer, because my husband said it would be cheaper. Yeah, right! It was NOT cheaper, and they put a bad/ill-fitting oil filter in not once, but twice. The first time, I had so much oil leaking out of my car...my goodness! It wasn't until the third time back there that they got it right. Glad I don't have to go there anymore.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it was Jiffy Lube who stripped my Honda Civic's gasket and accused me of denting the oil pan. :mad:

Oil Can Henry's wasn't much better. Took my Elantra there the first time I got the oil changed instead of the dealer, because my husband said it would be cheaper. Yeah, right! It was NOT cheaper, and they put a bad/ill-fitting oil filter in not once, but twice. The first time, I had so much oil leaking out of my car...my goodness! It wasn't until the third time back there that they got it right. Glad I don't have to go there anymore.

they should've reimbursed you for your time (at their labor rate), gas, and inconvenience.

·
22,787 Posts
It's not hard. But to make room in my head I'd have to forget my anniversary, and most of what's left of Grade 11 math. I'll just keep hand-tightening ^_^
Oh, Boy! You forget that anniversary and you'll feel more than 28 foot lbs of torque up alongside your head, Don! :grin:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts