Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Hyundai sonata (2.4 L) 113,000 miles.
This thing is using a lot of oil. 1.25 qts. in 1000 miles. Had the car at the dealer for oil consumption test. They say it's using more than it should according to Hyundai. According to the dealer. Hyundai specs. 1 qt in 1000 miles. I think this is way too much, but they say this is in Hyundai specs.

They notified Hyundai of the problem. Hyundai says I must spend $1000.00 to have the intake valves cleaned before they will consider replacing the engine. Dealer says Hyundai claims cleaning the intake valves will cure the problem 90% of the time.
So, I spend $1000.00 and it it stops using .25 qts in 1000 miles, then Hyundai isn't going to do anything, because they claim 1 qt every 1000 miles is "normal "!

If it still burns 1.25 qts after the intake valves are cleaned, I guess there's zero guarantee Hyundai will even replace the engine. Or if they do, what will it cost me 10%,20%,etc,.

I just replaced the intake on this car last week due to intake runner code.
I noticed all the intake valves, and cleaned them myself before reinstalling the intake.
The valves weren't what I would call real bad dirty/gummed up, but I cleaned them.
1000 miles later, still burns 1.25 qts of oil.

Guess I'm stuck with this thing, but I'll never purchase another Hyundai.
And I really doubt Hyundai cares if I ever buy another Hyundai, but someone else can be the sucker.
I won't be screwed by the same company for a second time. That's for sure !

Rant over. what are your thoughts here ?
Thanks ..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
dodge if there betting it will repaire it on Your dime$$ i would ask hyundai if you can gaurante this fixes my oil burning issue then i would like it in writing that it will? if not? i would not do it!

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
353 Posts
Yes, the engine is trashed and of course the intake valve story was only a denial attitude, I personally don't see how it could have an impact on oil consumption.

You need to see another dealership if possible. And Contact Hyundai US. Make sure you have the KSDS recall software installed. I would personally use the cheapest possible oil and hope the engine blows in the near future - however be aware that these things fail all of a sudden, even in the middle line of a busy highway. You may end up with a brand new engine which is a rather nice thing in the end.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just replaced the intake on this car last week due to intake runner code.
Did this yourself?
If you have that level of skill I suggest you try a piston soak.

You can google details, but here’s the Cliff notes:
Remove plugs, pour strong solvent of your choice into cylinders, wait a bit.
Wiggle the crankshaft back and fourth a bit my hand with a wrench etc., add more solvent.
Repeat (no lather, no rinse).
Toss a rag over the plug holes and crank with the starter a couple seconds to drive out remaining liquid.
Replace the plugs, change the oil, cross fingers.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hyundai says I must spend $1000.00 to have the intake valves cleaned before they will consider replacing the engine. Dealer says Hyundai claims cleaning the intake valves will cure the problem 90% of the time.
I cant beleive hyundai wants you to pay that much for a intake cleaning that's a big rip off dude, you can get a proffesional BG induction cleaning for your vehicle at a shop like mechanIQ that carries BG products and aparatisus/equipment for cleaning your intake & the rest of the engine a hek of a lot cheaper than $1000.00 WTF.!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hyundai is purposefully fudging the oil consumption numbers as normal to defend/rationalize their shitty engines. Their engine replacement practice has evolved from where I would deliver a knocking engine to their engine bay and have a replacement authorized and be out of the dealership in as little as 15 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts