Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience with the engine cleaning products, so I have no personal results to add to the discussion. However, I will say that it's curious to me that Hyundai/Kia never tries these products on engines with high oil usage, and just choses to replace them under warranty instead. So it must be that either the automakers don't believe these products have any chance of working, or else they are completely unaware of them. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about this.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Kiaguy1 Most dealers are like everyday people that try the cheap garbage products on the shelves that dont work or did little for there customers vehicle and because of that have convinced themselves nothing works see theres 2 types of products on the market the "cheap marketing version" then theres the "professional grade version" like BG products & EPR, EPR

is a piston ring cleaner im not saying this can fix all of hyundais problems if there engines are defective it wont fix it however if burning oil is caused by low tension piston rings being stuck/coked this is what you need to use not the el cheapo marketing gimicky junk found on shelves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 santa fe sport.i switched to synthetic and after 4500 km i got the red oil light. I called dealer they want to do an oil monitoring every 1000 km.i just drove a vacation trip 2000 km and i lost 500 ml oil.im afraid dealer will tell me that's normal.i can't find any information about how much oil i normal to lose. I have only 90000km.
There is no any oil leak, no smoke,nothing. Just wondering where my oil went?
I also have a 2013 sante fe sport. It has been meticulously maintained with 100,000 kms. I checked it a few days ago and noticed it was down a litre. I have never owned a vehicle at this mileage that used a litre between changes. They switched me to synthetic oil 6 months ago. Hyundai recommended it. Called dealer concerned of this, they said at my mileage, this is considered normal. I call BS, and I think Hyundai has issues and is hiding the truth. Trading this vehicle off soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just finished my oil consumption test #5 = oil level is normal this time... spoke with one of the senior service advisors.. he pretty much said hyundai canada wont do anything unless i am burning over 1 litre per 1000km.. and he stated that even when i do synthetic oil change, oil change is still every 6000km.... mean while the previous tech that did my synthetic oil change, put the system to come back in 8000km... advisor said i should go back to regular oil instead of synthetic. he said synthetic is a thinner oil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Final test done today, used sport mode for 500km and 500km in normal mode.... was testing as i never use sport mode my thoughts are the revving in sport killed burned more oil... test 6 - 1000km burned 1litre.. dealer said they will send the data to hyundai canada and will get results back in 3 weeks. dealer said in the mean time come back every 1000km for top until hyundai canada decision

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2013 santa fe sport.i switched to synthetic and after 4500 km i got the red oil light. I called dealer they want to do an oil monitoring every 1000 km.i just drove a vacation trip 2000 km and i lost 500 ml oil.im afraid dealer will tell me that's normal.i can't find any information about how much oil i normal to lose. I have only 90000km.
There is no any oil leak, no smoke,nothing. Just wondering where my oil went?
Replace your PCV.
I bet it's not regulating pressure property anymore.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just finished my oil consumption test #5 = oil level is normal this time... spoke with one of the senior service advisors.. he pretty much said hyundai canada wont do anything unless i am burning over 1 litre per 1000km.. and he stated that even when i do synthetic oil change, oil change is still every 6000km.... mean while the previous tech that did my synthetic oil change, put the system to come back in 8000km... advisor said i should go back to regular oil instead of synthetic. he said synthetic is a thinner oil
Synthetic oil is NOT thinner.
Your dealer is giving you false information. Very false info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for answers about my 2013 SantaFe's oil consumption and came across this thread. It's a 2.4 GDI engine, bought it used at 142,000 kms. I have done synthetic oil changes every 6000 kms at the Hyundai dealer. After the first oil change I noticed that the oil level is very low. Brought it back at the dealer and they said since I got a used car, the previous owner may have neglected and didnt maintain it properly. They are asking me for previous service history which I dont have. They suggest that I monitor the oil level regularly and top up oil as needed. Now I am at 155,000kms and noticed that the oil is consuming 1 liter every 1000kms. I found out because I top up 1 liter to reach proper level on my dipstick.

Called the dealer and they said make an appointment for a diagnosis. And it will cost $60 to $120 depending on the work.

Since I am the third owner of this car am I still covered by the extended warranty in case the engine needs replacement? I feel that they are trying to avoid this and making the lack of service history record as an excuse.

Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealer called me today and said they will take my car in for 3 weeks and that they need to take the engine apart to replace the engine block/small block by hyundai canada

41 - 53 of 53 Posts