Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I didn't create a new post. There is no post about my issue with my car.
I'm hoping somebody already went through this issue or someone else who have this issue will find some answers here.
At this point I'm worried because i paid extended warranty and i really think is not normal my oil consumption.
I will keep updating this post for others with same problem.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
<--- Please fill in the 'location' and 'what you drive(year & chassis) and engine size' boxes on your personal profile page.
This information makes it much easier for other members to answer/comment on your posts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I didn't create a new post. There is no post about my issue with my car.
I'm hoping somebody already went through this issue or someone else who have this issue will find some answers here.
At this point I'm worried because i paid extended warranty and i really think is not normal my oil consumption.
I will keep updating this post for others with same problem.
I just had this happen to me last night. Never a problem before....always used 5W-20 Synthetic. I have a 2014 2.4L AWD and last night the oil light came on briefly when I I was cornering while accelerating. It took 3 quarts and now I'm monitoring. I have 102,000 miles and ordered a PCV valve and will add oil treatment as per other threads.

This sucks---I never had a problem like this before. I always changed at 5K miles with full synthetic and it was never low....NEVER until now. I have been on numerous threads and there's speculation as to what it might be:
---PCV valve gone bad....bad seals and some other items. People have tried changing to 0W-30/20, cleaning agents and additional lubricants with some improvement but not verified. I do have a letter regarding the recall and testing but I have not brought the car in as I have not had time....I probably should just for the record.

Oh well, I'll keep searching and see what I can find.

Here's a good thread:
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-2014-sonata-i45/544434-oil-consumption-105-000-miles-4.html

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Ok - I have a 2013 2.0T 70k miles and just beginning to see some minor oil consumption - .5 qt every 5k miles . Next to nothing especially compared to others posts but I'd not be at all surprised if the consumption increases over time - in fact I'm expecting it. Like some others use quality syn and change mostly at 5k intervals, sometimes 6k if highway miles.

But in reading posts for several yrs - regards type of oil, brand, viscosity, intervals, oil filters and filling the filter when changing, lab analysis and so on my conclusion is that many owners will experience oil consumption above what they consider normal. I think it can be tied to a number of factors or a combination of factors - Theta II design flaws (identified by various sources but never confirmed by Hyundai) , cost effective design and materials but not industry top echelon, and lastly same issues related to GDI technology (high soot levels, gas dilution) that other makers experience.

I don't think there is any silver bullet to stave off increasing oil consumption as the miles add up with this vehicle, certainly other makers - Subaru, Honda, VW have had oil consumption issues, and it can be random with owners adhering to or exceeding maintenance stipulations perhaps as likely to have an issue as those who do not.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I Ztommy,
at that burn rate, you won't see black smoke.
I am sorry to tell you that likely your dealer will tell you it's within normal specs.

Needs to be more than 1 ltr/1000 KM before they take action. It's not your dealers fault. Credit this to Canadian Hyundai warranty.

After first 1000 km oil dropped 0.5 liter. Not good. They told me i have to monitor 6 times 1000 km. And then will see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You posted that it used 500ml in 2000km, which is a usage of 1l per 4000km. With that rate of loss, after 4500k it would be down just over 1l, which should never be enough to cause the low-pressure oil light to come on. So, if your numbers are correct, it must be that the synthetic oil change was undef-filled at the shop by 1l or more. Or perhaps it was filled correctly, which would mean the oil loss rate is quite a bit higher than what you posted.

In any case, the oil light coming on is a REALLY bad thing, and it's possible that significant engine damage has already taken place. Is your engine on the recall list? If not, you might want to give some consideration to getting rid of it while it's still running well.
Only oil change I had at the dealer they under-filled it. Sad to say you need to check behind the dealer, but they won't take responsibility so you are wise to check if possible.

·
Registered
551 Posts
my 2017 takes almost zero oil in 6000km. 25 000km odo.
Yeah that sounds right, when the engine is new its tight "tight" being little to no wear thats why Yours dont use any right now im surprised my 2014 S.F. uses only 300ml of oil every 5,000kms engines got over 130,000 Canadian kms runs & Purrs Perfect and i no everyone here has had some issue with the 2.0T engine i must of gotten Lucky and on this one so far.

·
Registered
196 Posts
As listed earlier, I added the "BG" oil treatment and then had the oil changed. I've only driven 70 miles since then but a few things I noticed:

#1)---there is NO more gas odor when I start the car. I smelled it every single time for the past 8 months or so when I'd start the car and back out of the driveway. Now there's no odor at all.

#2)---I needed to confirm the oil levels (after the change) after using the SFS a few day and the oil on the dip stick was still crystal clean. For me, that's a first as well. Usually after a day it starts to look cloudy and "black-ish".

I will let you know in 500-700 miles if there's any oil consumption.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Update----After using the BG oil treatment I checked the dipstick last night. My wife registered 560 miles since the last change and there was ZERO oil consumption!!!! Typically I would be down a half a quart or slightly more at this point. One other observation, the oil on the dipstick was [still] clear. I don't recall this happening in the past----there was always some sort of black soot soon after the change. I will update at 1000 miles, but so far it appears promising.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's not bad but not good either. Switch to back to non-syn and see what you get.
Doesn't matter how hard you push - they won't replace the engine until it seizes or fails a recall test. But I have a hunch you won't be waiting much longer until that takes place.
I just had this happen to me last night. Never a problem before....always used 5W-20 Synthetic. I have a 2014 2.4L AWD and last night the oil light came on briefly when I I was cornering while accelerating. It took 3 quarts and now I'm monitoring. I have 102,000 miles and ordered a PCV valve and will add oil treatment as per other threads.

This sucks---I never had a problem like this before. I always changed at 5K miles with full synthetic and it was never low....NEVER until now. I have been on numerous threads and there's speculation as to what it might be:
---PCV valve gone bad....bad seals and some other items. People have tried changing to 0W-30/20, cleaning agents and additional lubricants with some improvement but not verified. I do have a letter regarding the recall and testing but I have not brought the car in as I have not had time....I probably should just for the record.

Oh well, I'll keep searching and see what I can find.

Here's a good thread:
Oil consumption at 105,000 miles
I also have 2017 sante Fe sport with excessive oil consumption right at 90,000. There is a class action suit filed in Cal 5-2020. Case No 8:17-CV-00838-JLS-JDE. cover cars from 2011-2019. Sante Fe sports, Sonata, Tucson and Kia Sorento Optima, Sportage for excessive oil consumption. My engine will be replaced July 2020. HOWEVER Hyundai is only offering 12 months or 12,000 miles on the second engine. Really, that doesn't seem fair... If they are so sure this second engine is not going to have the same problem, why not give full warranty on second engine/

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far i did 3 oil consumption test, 1: normal oil level 2: lost 0.1 L = 100ml 3: Lost 0.5 litres = 500ml , going for my 4th test next week

The service advisor said 0.5 litres is within spec, I object to what he said and said so you told me to do oil change every 8-10k km, if I were missing 0.5 litres every 1000k by the time I do my next oil change there will be close no oil left. and he agreed LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have 2017 sante Fe sport with excessive oil consumption right at 90,000. There is a class action suit filed in Cal 5-2020. Case No 8:17-CV-00838-JLS-JDE. cover cars from 2011-2019. Sante Fe sports, Sonata, Tucson and Kia Sorento Optima, Sportage for excessive oil consumption. My engine will be replaced July 2020. HOWEVER Hyundai is only offering 12 months or 12,000 miles on the second engine. Really, that doesn't seem fair... If they are so sure this second engine is not going to have the same problem, why not give full warranty on second engine/
Just heard from dealer. Go to HyundaiThetaEngineSettlement.com for full details on engine replace. The settlement extends the Powertrain Warranty to a Lifetime Warranty (warranty extension TXXI) 1-866-944-7620 7 am - 5 pm PST. My engine went thru 1 oil consumption test. Used 3 qts of oil in 3,325 miles. Engine is being replacement

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far i did 3 oil consumption test, 1: normal oil level 2: lost 0.1 L = 100ml 3: Lost 0.5 litres = 500ml , going for my 4th test next week

The service advisor said 0.5 litres is within spec, I object to what he said and said so you told me to do oil change every 8-10k km, if I were missing 0.5 litres every 1000k by the time I do my next oil change there will be close no oil left. and he agreed LOL

4Th oil consumption test just finished and it burnt another 0.5 Litres in 1000km...... 1 more test and Hyundai Canada will decide what to do

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hyundai is only offering 12 months or 12,000 miles on the second engine. Really, that doesn't seem fair... If they are so sure this second engine is not going to have the same problem, why not give full warranty on second engine/
I hear You... Hyundai should be Fixing there defective engine issue. not offering a 2nd defective engine in it with the same issue. and after warranty on that expires its left up to the owner to deal with there mess dont make any sense. so... basically hyundai is saying your getting a new engine with the same defect that we dont and cant fix.?

·
Registered
551 Posts

theres a possiblity you might have stuck/coked piston rings causing acessive oil consumption i would run some BG EPR through the engine oil before changing it. pic below is what i used on my VW TDI oil/filter not that it was using any big amounts of oil just wanted to try and clean up the engine & rings. being a diesel engine & oil gets pretty dirty im glad i used this it runs noticeably quiter and starts quicker oil colour is clearer on dipstick too. truly an amazing product to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
theres a possiblity you might have stuck/coked piston rings causing acessive oil consumption i would run some BG EPR through the engine oil before changing it. pic below is what i used on my VW TDI oil/filter not that it was using any big amounts of oil just wanted to try and clean up the engine & rings. being a diesel engine & oil gets pretty dirty im glad i used this it runs noticeably quiter and starts quicker oil colour is clearer on dipstick too. truly an amazing product to use.

View attachment 449510
Not gonna fiddle with anything, I'm glad its still under warranty, gonna ride it out with Hyundai and see what happens,.

Either get new engine and trade in the car, or drive it till it dies

·
Registered
551 Posts
problem with driving it until it dies & losing a engine is you wont be able to sell it easy no one wants a car with-out an engine, i would get the new engine from hyundai.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not gonna fiddle with anything, I'm glad its still under warranty, gonna ride it out with Hyundai and see what happens,.

My 2013 SFS Turbo started using oil around 55000 miles, burning 1 qt per 1000 miles and before it did not burn any. Last oil change I decided to try BG's EPR. Since then, I have burned less than a 1/2 quart in nearly 3000 miles. And my gas mileage has improved a little. Worth a try. YMMV.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My 2013 SFS Turbo started using oil around 55000 miles, burning 1 qt per 1000 miles and before it did not burn any. Last oil change I decided to try BG's EPR. Since then, I have burned less than a 1/2 quart in nearly 3000 miles. And my gas mileage has improved a little. Worth a try. YMMV.
Many on here will never try BG EPR thinking its an engine problem & switch oil viscosity to a thicker one. thinking there engine is too far gone when all along they had stuck oil control piston rings that simply needed some help getting clean using a strong product like BG EPR in the oil,? Glad! to see it worked for You. (y)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts