Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 santa fe sport.i switched to synthetic and after 4500 km i got the red oil light. I called dealer they want to do an oil monitoring every 1000 km.i just drove a vacation trip 2000 km and i lost 500 ml oil.im afraid dealer will tell me that's normal.i can't find any information about how much oil i normal to lose. I have only 90000km.
There is no any oil leak, no smoke,nothing. Just wondering where my oil went?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I'm not good with metric measure,, but I want to say USA std seems to be 1qt to 1000 mile before it considered excess

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I have a 2013 santa fe sport.i switched to synthetic and after 4500 km i got the red oil light. I called dealer they want to do an oil monitoring every 1000 km.i just drove a vacation trip 2000 km and i lost 500 ml oil.im afraid dealer will tell me that's normal.i can't find any information about how much oil i normal to lose. I have only 90000km.
There is no any oil leak, no smoke,nothing. Just wondering where my oil went?
That's not bad but not good either. Switch to back to non-syn and see what you get.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Assume that it was not using oil prior to the change to synthetic. Sometimes, not often, a switch to synthetic can casue oil consumption especially during that first oil change interval. Sometimes the consumption goes away after that first reaction to synthetic sometimes not. So, it appears that what the dealer stated to do is appropriate, monitor the situation and see what develops. As to what is normal, well, I do not think the dealer will consider your situation excessive. In addition they may want to throw some services at you that may not be necessary, especially so early in the game. IMO, give it more time, top off the oil and check it frequently and see what develops in the rest of this oil change and the next.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You posted that it used 500ml in 2000km, which is a usage of 1l per 4000km. With that rate of loss, after 4500k it would be down just over 1l, which should never be enough to cause the low-pressure oil light to come on. So, if your numbers are correct, it must be that the synthetic oil change was undef-filled at the shop by 1l or more. Or perhaps it was filled correctly, which would mean the oil loss rate is quite a bit higher than what you posted.

In any case, the oil light coming on is a REALLY bad thing, and it's possible that significant engine damage has already taken place. Is your engine on the recall list? If not, you might want to give some consideration to getting rid of it while it's still running well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My SantaFe Diesel 2.2CRDI uses negligible oil between oil changes - every two years or 20,000 miles!

Oil is 5W-30 C3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never have oil problem before i got this light for oil at 4500 km. I top up 3 liters to bring it to right level then i drove 2000 km vacation trip. This time i checked oil level every day. So after 2000 km i pour 400 ml to level again. Because there is no oil leak and no smoke, i reallly think dealer never put enough oil at my oil change. From now i have to double check oil level because i can't trust them anymore...
Thats why I'm so confused with my oil disappearance....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And light was just came on when hard breaking or sharp turns. So it wasn't completely empty. And yes my car is on the recall list. I also have extended warranty 8 years or 160k.should i push for recall engine change?

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
195 Posts
Wich engine do you have? 2.4 or 2.0 turbo?

Are you sure there is no leak?

One thing to check with the 2.0 turbo is the turbo oil feeder line, there is a recall for it. The line can start to leak in the flexible part. There is a new designed piece for that. Its start leaking slowly and you dont see it because it all the way back down behind the engine. Maybe yours started to leak badly?

Its very possible that the dealer put the wrong quantity when you had your oil change. Stop trusting dealer... If I go to a oil change, I at least check the oil level before leaving the dealer lot.

I would monitor the oil level and park my car over a carton to check for leaks.

With bad oil cosumption, someone following you can probably smell it and see blue smoke from the exhaust.

·
Registered
313 Posts
... i got this light for oil at 4500 km. I top up 3 liters to bring it to right level ....
....should i push for recall engine change?
Doesn't matter how hard you push - they won't replace the engine until it seizes or fails a recall test. But I have a hunch you won't be waiting much longer until that takes place.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I recommend whenever you have a shop do any work do a visual double check (as practical) before you leave the parking lot.
For an oil change that means a dipstick check and look under the vehicle with it idling to check for leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After first 1000 km oil dropped 0.5 liter. Not good. They told me i have to monitor 6 times 1000 km. And then will see.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts