Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2015 Sonata SE is consuming lots of oil. So we switched to higher viscosity oil, then today on start up it blew whiteish-blue smoke!! The oil change was only 1100 miles ago. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY CAR?!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Our 2015 Sonata SE is consuming lots of oil. So we switched to higher viscosity oil, then today on start up it blew whiteish-blue smoke!! The oil change was only 1100 miles ago. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY CAR?!
So did you go from 5W-20 to 5W-30 and are you using a full synthetic oil?

·
Registered
882 Posts
you should find out where did oil go to. Remove ignition coil and see if there's any oil on the top of spark plug, and check if any oil burning smell

·
Registered
393 Posts
I witness that too. My car is at 88322 Kms and checked oil level 3 weeks ago and topped up with almost 2 quarts to reach level Between L and F. That was roughly my oil consumption I noticed first time between oil change interval of 5000kms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Since when did the supposedly appliance Sonata became a high maintenance BMW??
That is not the point! With all the engine problems, I highly recommend checking the oil once a week. If you don’t think it’s necessary, then don’t do it.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,081 Posts
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY CAR?!
First, how many miles and is the car still under warranty?

Blue-ish smoke out tail pipe on start-up (and at idle) can be worn valve seals.

Burning oil will also show up on the spark plug inspection.

How much oil is it loosing over how many miles?

Higher viscosity oil will help a little on oil burning, but that's not the solution, especially if the car's still under warranty.

So far I loose no oil with 5w-20 Syn.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m Not Very Cool;5770445 said:
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY CAR?!
First, how many miles and is the car still under warranty?

Blue-ish smoke out tail pipe on start-up (and at idle) can be worn valve seals.

Burning oil will also show up on the spark plug inspection.

How much oil is it loosing over how many miles?

Higher viscosity oil will help a little on oil burning, but that's not the solution, especially if the car's still under warranty.

So far I loose no oil with 5w-20 Syn.

If you are thinking about using warranty to fix this issue for free, good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,081 Posts
If you are thinking about using warranty to fix this issue for free, good luck.
I guess valve seals could be viewed as normal wearable items. Depends on the miles and maintenance. Never hurts to try. Don't always take the first denial from either the service rep or the mechanic. Speak to the factory regional rep.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Didn’t the 2015s have some type of CVVT malfunction that causes oil to get sucked into the intake runners? Seems like I remember SBR mentioning this before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts