Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok, so they replaced with a long-block, including new spark plugs. I paid for replacing the serpentine belt, and hoses. I will be picking it up soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MO K,
Did they say what cased them to replace? Was it Oil consumption or noise or both?
How long did it take for them to agree to replace?
They did job in one day?
How much for and what hoses?
I just dropped mine off at dealer here in NJ this am.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Probably posted some where in the thread, but let me mention my experience with the 2011 Optima 2.0T, 172,000 miles, I know different manufacturer. but:
Called Kia, explained oil consumption problem, no noise, car ran great and received a "claim" number.
Appt w/dealer change oil/filter.
Returned 12 days later, 730 miles, 2 qts low
Dealer called Kia, removed the valve cover, possibly to check oil seals
4 hours after I arrived at the dealership, Kia authorized replacement and rental.
8 days later, dealer called, car done, no cost.

·
Registered
139 Posts
JimJeep, all - It was solely oil consumption. Over a period of about a month, I took my car in every 1k miles, they checked the loss and noted it, and they topped off the oil. After 3k miles, they put me in a rental for about a week while they ran tests and sent results to Hyundai. They received authorization to replace the engine, and did so within that week. I asked them to replace the serpentine belt and the upper and lower radiator hoses, which had been showing a good amount of wear as the car had almost 96k miles on it. They also replaced the ribbed belt (not sure what that is). It took them a day or two to put the engine in and swap out the items. I also had them make sure the new engine had spark plugs, and it did. Total cost to me was $411, and so, in essence I prepaid my 100k service tuneup at a discount.

The car seems to have more power, runs smoothly. The engine compartment looks brand new, which of course it should, but, still, it is a nice sight. I will check the oil at each gas fill-up to make sure all is well.

Attaching two invoices, and covered over technician info. for the sake of his privacy. On a sheet the dealership kept, the engine was prices at something like $5,800, so that is not shown here.

Addendum: When running from cold start, the engine doesn’t give that rhythmic rattling/ticking that characterized fresh running before, a little like a diesel engine would sound like. Nothing like that with this engine. Also, the front end seems a little lighter, with my front wheels more apt to lose a little traction at launch throughout the day. Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Recalls completed, including 953. Dealer claims not enough "noise" to decide anything yet.
Oil changed and filled. Return in 500 miles to start oil consumption test. 39 for oil change no charge for check and fill for consumption test.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Addendum: When running from cold start, the engine doesn’t give that rhythmic rattling/ticking that characterized fresh running before, a little like a diesel engine would sound like. Nothing like that with this engine. Also, the front end seems a little lighter, with my front wheels more apt to lose a little traction at launch throughout the day. Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
So i have a little side question from motor test.
When recalls were done I assumed that one of them was for the airbag light i have had on my dash for about a month or so. Got the car back and light is still on. Isn't there a warranty for the closckspring that may have something to do with light coming on? I did not ask dealer yet but he didn't even mention when he was trying to sell me to do an alignment, brakes......... from the free 24 point inspection blah, blah. Wondering why he didn't even mention.
Thoughts?
If this needs to be separate thread feel free to move

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another non engine question now I have a weird electrical type noise coming from inside my dash since recalls done, Noise happens even when engine not running. Seems to be constant, Also interior dash lights wont dim. Would they take dash apart for recall?

·
Registered
27 Posts
They must have taken the lower dash apart to do one of the recalls.
I just went out and noticed the small panel that the dimmer switch is located in was sticking out a bit. I removed the fuse panel door reached up and pushed out entire panel. The connector that should have been connected to the dimmer lever/switch was connected to the blank switch location. Attached it to the correct switch location and dimmer works just fine now. Gotta figure out this noise now, sounds like an old computer trying to boot up so to speak. Happens when engine running or not. Should be back to dealer for 500 mile Oil check #1 by end of week, early next week. I will be calling dealer tomorrow as this electrical sound scares me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Test one done, 1.5 qts and 650 miles.
As for noise, dealer was looking at me like I was insane until i made him listen to video i took on phone while it was doing it. Intermittent and did not do while in shop for test. Hasn't made noise all day so far today. Ill try to post noise video when i figure out how.
Test two will be friday AM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I noticed oil consumption right before the engine seized. I never had to do the oil consumption testing. The engine seized on me. It was towed to a local dealership. They verified the engine was seized. Hyundai asked for photos of the engine without the oil pan on. They then replaced the engine (reman long block) and paid for my rental car. Not many hoops honestly. It was pretty easy.

Ought to be interesting where this goes...
Those who received a free motor please chime in and let me know what hoops you jumped through, if any...thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
2nd Oil consumption test today. Down 2qts 650 miles (i think he was being generous). Noise from under dash seems to be gone since I complained about it at first test (dealer said they were unable to duplicate - but seems gone since).
Mentioned the airbag light being on and asked why it wasn't mentioned during "free 24 point inspection". Dealer said he'd look into while doing second top off of oil. They replaced the clock spring for free. Light is out now.
So third test next week and dealer said to be prepared to leave it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
They're giving you the run around. I took out '11 Optima 2.0T (I know Kia) in for the test with 172,000 miles, then back 730 miles, down 2 qts. Dealer called Kia, 2 hours later sent me home with a rental and 8 days later the new engine was done.
Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Last test yesterday am, from my look it was at least a Qt and a half in about 600 miles. Not sure what dealer even said.
I dropped car off at 7:30, by noon I received a phone call that I would be getting a new engine and to come back for a loaner until my car is done.
So at 250k almost exactly on a 2011 Sonata they are "making good on a new engine".
A few of the dealer reps commented that I was a record holder for them.
Except for oil consumption I have had no issues with engine at all. I did have a clogged CAT about 3K ago that mechanic said was probably due to oil consumption issue.
Lets hope the tranny hold out now and well try for another 250k.
For anyone dealing with this issue, try a few dealers if you need to. My closest dealer treated me like I was trying to get over them and didn't seem to want to be bothered. I went to one a little further away and it was like night and day the way I was dealt with.
Anyone know what warranty is on replacement engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Sonata 2011 Limited, 2.4L. 196,200 miles currently, have completed my third oil consumption inspection, and am awaiting for Hyundai to get back to me. My first check at 1300 miles, 1qt. Second check at 1300 miles, 1qt. Third check at 1250, 1qt. The engine isn't real noisy, but does make some ticking which sounds like lifters but I don't know what the source of the noise is. I noted that around 190,000 miles I'd have to add about 1qt of oil every 1300 or so miles. I'm the original owner, and since the second oil change after new off the lot, I've used full synthetic oil mostly of which has been Mobil 1. I'll post back when I hear back from the dealer.

***Update 3/22: So dealer told me they are replacing the engine! Can't believe it...rental paid for, new engine is now installed and I've got the vehicle back. 12mth/12k mi warranty on work done, engine essentially has no warranty except only what was touched. I've attached a picture of the ODO and new engine installed. They installed Shell 5w30 synthetic, I also paid for new upper/lower radiator hoses.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
So just got back from dealer.
5 open recalls. I am bringing the car back next week, he is going to give me loaner and complete all recalls.
Now for a new twist on engine replacement possibilities;
1. Evidently they can now listen to motor and decide if Hyundai will replace. So if they hear whatever they hear (on the no good side) they inform Hyundai and if agreed they will replace engine. If I was within warranty that would be it. Since I have high mileage no promises.
2. They may be asked by Hyundai to open up engine and scope to get more info and decide to replace. In my case due to mileage If Hyundai says no because of mileage i would be responsible for scoping costs 155.00.
3. would be to do oil consumption test 3 visits where they doc amount of oil consumed. I know i get 500 miles to the quart. No charge on oil said i would just bring in and they would top off and doc. I asked if I would be charged for an oil change and he said no they would just top off and document. My guess is if i was denied on 1 or 2 why would then then say yes after oil consumption test?

Rep was very helpful and made no promises other then completing the recall work but would do all he could to get Hyundai to replace regardless of mileage.
Could just be trying to get recall work but I guess ill find out. Says they do a lot of them and they have done some over 200K. Will do my best to update next week.
The recall/warranty work doesn't pay very well, so my guess is that if they're really trying to help you out that much it's just so that you come back for all your future work. A local Ford dealer got years of my parents business and a couple more cars sold because they helped get us warranty outside the warranty on a major head gasket job.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 100 Posts