Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do all my own maintenance on this car. I know it uses 1.5qts or more in 1000 miles depending on highway or local driving. I buy the extra jug of oil to top it off in between oil changes. When I took it the first time, I was kinda surprised it only needed a quart. that's why at the next oil check I checked it prior to my visit and took that photo.

so, this is what they put on the report.

1QT. added..

come today, I took another photo since I will be going to Hyundai for my last 1000 mile check tomorrow night if theyre open. It's a bit lower than 1QT I'd say. I'm intrigued to see how low they say it is tomorrow.
I made sure to take a non blurry photo this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks like you're dipstick results and condition are similar to what mine were...dark oil, well below the min level. Keep the photos for reference, but seems like you're in the 1.5 to 2 qt low range to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got approval for the engine replacement and I'm dropping off the car tomorrow. hopefully it doesnt take too long. but I'm glad they stood behind it
Surprised you can drop it off that quickly. For me it took about 10 days for the engine to come in. Once there, I dropped my car off a day or two later and they had the replacement done in about a day-and-a-half (had some incorrect gasket kit sent that added the extra half day). As already stated, check for leaks, drips, etc. afterwards as my long-block engine had two oil related issues. Now, about 1K miles after installation, the engine runs smooth and quiet, periodic oil checks show the dipstick is clean and the oil level is normal (wow...a surreal feeling after the concern from the old engine!)

Congrats on winning a new engine!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Surprised you can drop it off that quickly. For me it took about 10 days for the engine to come in. Once there, I dropped my car off a day or two later and they had the replacement done in about a day-and-a-half (had some incorrect gasket kit sent that added the extra half day). As already stated, check for leaks, drips, etc. afterwards as my long-block engine had two oil related issues. Now, about 1K miles after installation, the engine runs smooth and quiet, periodic oil checks show the dipstick is clean and the oil level is normal (wow...a surreal feeling after the concern from the old engine!)

Congrats on winning a new engine!
thanks. I drove the car for 2 days and checked the oil. it was 3/4 qt low. I took it back and they documented it and topped it off. Hopefully it was just a misfill or something

·
Registered
4 Posts
2011 Sonata Ltd with 111,750 on the odo.
I was so glad to find this thread as my Sonata has developed quite the thirst for oil - I'm approaching 1000 mi/qt. From what I read here, that's still easy street! Dealer told me the corporate policy of 1000 mi/qt (which is crazy IMHO) and the consumption test. A few questions as I'm getting started with this:
  • Do I pay for the oil consumption testing?
  • Does all this have to be done before the 120,000 mi warranty is exceeded?
TIA

·
Registered
136 Posts
I read through this thread with great interest, as my own Sonata started consuming oil. I brought it to my dealership, and they began charting the oil consumption every 1,000 miles. It is losing between 1 and 1.5 qts each time. I just competed number two, and they said that if it continued, they would put me in a rental while they ran some tests, and this could result in a new engine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just dropped the Sonata off today with the dealer, and they put me in a rental. Stay tuned....
Good luck, hope it results in an engine rebuild / replacement for you.

I am curious if the service department asked you for any maintenance (oil / filter changes) records from you when you turned in the car or during the 1000 mile dealer visits?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just started my consumption test. Going into it, I know I was using more than the 1qt/1000 miles. I checked with a few dealerships on their OCT process. One mentioned that they do an engine flush and then an oil change and 3 level checks/fills every 1000 miles; another an oil change and then seal the engine (tamper resistance on the oil fill, dipstick, and drain plug) and 4 checks/fills every 1000 miles. Odd that Hyundai doesn't have one process. I went with the dealer that didn't do the engine flush but I believe they did it as I've noticed a significant power increase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 11 2.4 with 245k, local dealer in NJ says its worth a try for new engine. Claims he will fight for me but who knows. Could just want the recall work.
Ill be dropping off car to have a few recalls done (including the new knock sensor-which scares me).
Says **** do recalls and oil change for first OCT. Would supply me a rental for a few days as recalls would take at least two days. I told him that im afraid to drive 1k miles without checking/adding oil. he said he could probably do 500 mile intervals.
Consumption wise Im sure id qualify, not sure what effect mileage would have on Hyundai decision.
Anyone get a replacement with over 200K?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So just got back from dealer.
5 open recalls. I am bringing the car back next week, he is going to give me loaner and complete all recalls.
Now for a new twist on engine replacement possibilities;
1. Evidently they can now listen to motor and decide if Hyundai will replace. So if they hear whatever they hear (on the no good side) they inform Hyundai and if agreed they will replace engine. If I was within warranty that would be it. Since I have high mileage no promises.
2. They may be asked by Hyundai to open up engine and scope to get more info and decide to replace. In my case due to mileage If Hyundai says no because of mileage i would be responsible for scoping costs 155.00.
3. would be to do oil consumption test 3 visits where they doc amount of oil consumed. I know i get 500 miles to the quart. No charge on oil said i would just bring in and they would top off and doc. I asked if I would be charged for an oil change and he said no they would just top off and document. My guess is if i was denied on 1 or 2 why would then then say yes after oil consumption test?

Rep was very helpful and made no promises other then completing the recall work but would do all he could to get Hyundai to replace regardless of mileage.
Could just be trying to get recall work but I guess ill find out. Says they do a lot of them and they have done some over 200K. Will do my best to update next week.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
So just got back from dealer.

1. Evidently they can now listen to motor and decide if Hyundai will replace. So if they hear whatever they hear (on the no good side) they inform Hyundai and if agreed they will replace engine. If I was within warranty that would be it. Since I have high mileage no promises.
e over 200K. Will do my best to update next week.
the knock sensor is what "listens" to your engine - if the update fails then they will replace the harness, knock sensor and if still fails you get the reman block . period

as to why Hyundai might give you a new engine if it fails the oil test - they pretty much seem willing to make it better/right to owners who bought a vehicle with engines that have reliability issues - including some owners like you with higher miles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good luck, hope it results in an engine rebuild / replacement for you.

I am curious if the service department asked you for any maintenance (oil / filter changes) records from you when you turned in the car or during the 1000 mile dealer visits?
They have not yet, no. Is this typical?

·
Registered
310 Posts
They have not yet, no. Is this typical?
It depends... From reading other threads here at H-F, I have seen some service departments ask to see maintenance records / oil and filter receipts for DIYers. Other service shops do not. I guess it just depends on the particular dealer and the mood of the service manager on any particular day.

The most common statement seems to be that the service department will look for signs of maintenance neglect like a sludgy engine. If the engine has been properly maintained and nothing jumps out to the service dept. I think you probably won't need to provide the documentation. Let us know how your personal experience goes on this matter.

·
Registered
136 Posts
While the dealership is replacing my engine, what other items like belts and hoses should I have them replace for me, thus saving labor charges later on? The car is a 2013 GLS with 95k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just dropped mine off at dealer to see what they'll do about oil consumption/engine.
39.00 oil change, 5 open recalls, 2019 or 2020 Elantra with 20 miles for a loaner.
Fingers crossed. 248K.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts