Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Dealer can think whatever they want. Unless Hyundai headquarters stated to do it, its just them making money.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just wanted to pass along to the forum that I picked up my Sonata yesterday after the engine swap. Took one day longer than expected due to a quickly resolved, not the dealership's fault kind of SNAFU...Hyundai sent a kit of incorrect gaskets with the engine, the service department got it resolved overnight. The only thing I was charged for was a new serpentine belt (old one was fraying, they showed it to me, my dealership and service department has been really up front about things so I know they weren't trying to pull one over on me).

The difference in sound between the old and new engine is like night and day...guess I had been running for so long with the old the ears got used to it. It was also kind of fun to look into the top of the engine block and see clean metal :) Feels like a relatively young car again and I'm reminded of the strength of a fresh engine, nice and frisky on the highway!

Other than that, I'd just encourage anyone who thinks their engine is having a series of bad days related to oil to stick with their guns and go through the process of the OC test...you could win a 'new' engine too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will be getting my car back today did oil consumption tests
First 1k miles 4 qt
Second 1k miles 3.5
Ecu update 2 cylinder misfire told still need 2 more consumption test. Ecu limites car to 2k rpm max
3rd 500 miles replacement engine ordered. This was mid February. Got called yesterday car is ready but battery won’t hold a charge. They can install a new one for $178.75 before tax. Told them I just bought my battery in December They tried to get around replacing the battery but since my car had been sitting at the dealership for almost 3 months told them I’m not leaving without a brand new battery. They finally conceded when I told them I will be there to discuss in person and realize that today is Friday so all incoming customers will know just how bad your service is when I get there if there isn’t a new battery in my car.
Now they want me to pay for excessive mileage on the loaner car. How am I supposed to only drive 1000 miles when I had to use their car for almost 3 months

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Another UPDATE.......Picked up my '12 Sonata last week with the new motor and so far after 300 miles all is fine!!!..Had them do the trans drain/fill and new drive belt. Next is new tires, hopefully and I can clock another 25-35k miles without any major expenses....Thanks for everyone following & posting your ideas, thoughts, insights and sharing your expertise!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata. Last oil change was 3 months ago at 103K. 3K miles later, I just went in for recalls and they told me I had no oil. So I got an oil change and am starting the tests at 1K intervals, 3 times.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata. Last oil change was 3 months ago at 103K. 3K miles later, I just went in for recalls and they told me I had no oil. So I got an oil change and am starting the tests at 1K intervals, 3 times.
That's absolutely ridiculous, and they haven't indicated your engine needs to be replaced or anything? Your engine has an expensive diet of oil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's absolutely ridiculous, and they haven't indicated your engine needs to be replaced or anything? Your engine has an expensive diet of oil.
The previous oil change wasn't done at the dealer. I hadn't been checking my oil previously but did see the the check oil light flash a few times when going uphill a few days before going in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The previous oil change wasn't done at the dealer. I hadn't been checking my oil previously but did see the the check oil light flash a few times when going uphill a few days before going in.
Gotcha. That's a scary amount to lose especially if you know you put in a full amount of oil when you changed it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I hadn't been checking my oil previously but did see the the check oil light flash a few times when going uphill a few days before going in.
There is no "check oil" or "low oil" light...only the "no oil pressure" or "you're toast" light! :crying:

·
Registered
125 Posts
*My update Went in for my first round of the oil consumption test. drove 1000 miles and used 1 QT. It was a little more than one Qt low when I checked it this morning. I'll keep my eye on it/them..
Would a Quart be enough to warrant a replacement engine. realistically that's 3-7.5 quarts between oil change intervals depending on the oil used. I always ran full synthetic since driving it off the lot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Got my first test back at 1,000 miles and the loss was 2.5 QT's.
Holy Moly - at 2.5 quarts low, the dipstick was probably bone dry. That is too long to wait if the engine is consuming that much oil. If it was my own vehicle, I would be checking oil level every couple hundred miles. As soon as it's nearing the lower mark on the dipstick (assumed to be 1 qt. low) I would be returning to the dealer to have them record it and top off oil to the top full mark again.

Running your car at 2.5 quarts low is surely risky for causing further engine damage.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Got my first test back at 1,000 miles and the loss was 2.5 QT's.
I agree with @bdahl385. You're in the same territory I was in. 3 1,000 mile intervals and my oil consumption was over 2 qt each time, the greatest use was 2.2 qt. The oil barely registered on the dipstick each time I took it in.

Only took Hyundai 2 days to approve the PA for a new engine. My dealer HIGHLY recommended staying as close to the 1K mark as possible for measurements so they could essentially club Hyundai over the head with facts, but since you're already in 'watch my oil' mode, keep an eye on it every 2-300 miles and if it looks like you're really low before your next 1K interval call your service department, ask their advice, and have them document that you called.

Sounds like you're on the way to a new engine, though :|

·
Registered
17 Posts
My results:
1k - .5 quarts
2k - 1.5 quarts
3k - 1.5 quarts

Dealer submitted to Hyundai, about 10 days later the replacement block was approved. They expect it in 2-3 weeks. Said it would take 2-3 days to install.

I purchased the car with 60k on it. I drive easy, and do my own maintenance. No engine problems until the oil change at 123,000 miles - it was over 1 quart low. From there on each 1000 miles it was using a bit more oil. When it got to 1 quart in 1k miles, I went in for the oil consumption study - 132,000 miles on the odometer.

3 dealers had told me they were replacing engines up to 185,000 miles, but I was still worried. Very happy they are taking care of it outside the extended warranty. Hopefully the dealer will do a good job replacing it.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts