Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Is there any idea why does the Hyundai Tucson consum oil !
I use to add in each time about 300 ml
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced
Little white smoke come if i the rpm over 4000

Some of technician says that this is comen problem in Hyundai enginese
And the problem is from the valve seals or piston rings

So any one had the same problem
And if yes how did they fix

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure about it being a common problem, but I'm at around 3000 miles and it hasn't left the full mark.....

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
432 Posts
Hello everyone
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced

Thanks
If it's the 2.4L engine, then yes it's very common. It will get worse in time, eventually you will need a new engine.

·
Registered
671 Posts
10 ounces consumed every 1000 miles is not a problem......................... yet.
Change the oil every 4k. Use 5w30 full synthetic oil. Walmart has a good selection and good prices. Quaker State, Havoline or Supertech are thick-side SP 5w30s and may slow consumption for a while

·
Registered
909 Posts
Take to dealer and get consumption run done on it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Using only 10 ounces in 1k means the dealer will send you home until it worsens.
Thicker oil - more often oil changes in 5w30.... do 4k OCIs
I would use Quaker State Syn in your situation..... thick at [email protected]
Don't let the dipstick read more than a half-quart low.

When your consumption gets near one quart at 1k, then go to the dealer for those consumption tests.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is consumption a known issue with the 2.4 L ? I have a 2020.
Consumption runs uncontrollable when there is no hood raising to check oil levels every 500 miles --- when vehicle owners don't change these sensitive TGDI / GDI four cylinder engine-oils every 3-4k --- when they use the watered-down 5w20 instead of 5w30 --- when they use high-rev Sport Mode instead of Normal Mode --- when they don't use CRC TGDI / GDI Intake & Throttle Body Cleaner Spray --- when they don't use top-tier gas that's mid-grade 89 octane or higher --- when they don't use Techron Concentrate fuel tank cleaner every 4k (oil change time) --- etc......etc......etc.

What I recommend here is not a cure. But doing all this will extend your engine life significantly. Average mileage per year is around 10-12k. Wouldn't you like enough time to save for that next vehicle, if you maintained your vehicle more correctly and obtained an extra 45-50k (4-5 years) on the odometer, versus your neighbor with the same exact vehicle and he suffered engine failure because he was too cheap to pay for more frequent maintenance and now he's stuck with a vehicle that the dealer won;t give him any value on a trade-in?

How many dealers give good trade-in value, with a vehicle that arrives at the dealership on a tow-truck hook? Many of our four cylinders from Koren name-plates will eventually fail, due to poor parts. Mine too. I am in a worse jam because I don't trade-in. I have always been 1st and last owner of our vehicles.

My Hyundai GDI 2.4 may become the first vehicle I trade-in, since 1980. I will nurse that engine the best I can - for as long as I can...... until the day comes when I feel it's still running good, but on borrowed time. Then it will be gone quickly, like within days of when I make that decision to part with it.

Heck, I may even donate it to a charity. But not for a tax write-off. We do Short-Form tax filings for a couple decades now. We are retired with no bills. I paid cash for both the new Kia and Hyundai. I may just give it away when engine ticks and advanced oil consumption starts occurring.

Reactions: Clarkbre and SGR

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Why mid grade gas? Car only calls for regular.
Remember it's just opinions here. Here's mine:

I've found modern engines with knock sensors run a little better with more octane in hot weather.
When I know 90+F weather is coming I'll add 1/2 a tank of premium to 1/2 tank of my normal regular.
It's cheaper than buying mid grade.

Once I've established the engine isn't burning oil I check the level every 1000 miles.
I learned 30 years ago to check the tailpipe for oily deposits when considering a new-to-me car.
I've never owned an oil burner, or a brand new car.
If I did own an oil burner I'd check the level more often.

In my current GDI Tucson I change the 5w30 synthetic oil every 5000 miles, and put a bottle of Techron in the tank.
I use the ECO drive mode and shift manually when I want peppier response.
I will not be spraying stuff in the intake to clean the valves.
Don't want dislodged gunk going to the cat convertor, or liquid pooling in the intake manifold.
If symptoms of clogged valves ever appear I'll clean them manually.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Circuit - I like much of what you suggest. Interesting thing here in MN its cheaper to run mid grade than half and half as premium is usually much more.

In a non turbo car I'm not that worried with modern knock sensors. I love Techron as well. I try to do last tank before an oil change on my nicer cars. Had not thought much about it on this one.

I agree on checking for consumption. I try to check often (via dip stick) but as this is my daughters car its impossible to teach a 16 yo to do such things.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Why mid grade gas? Car only calls for regular.
When I switched from 87 octane to 89 Tp-Tier, it ran better and provided the fuel lines and injectors with a little more cleaning agent.

When I switch from 87 octane to 93 octane Top-Tier, it ran even smoother - had more pep and now it was getting the maximum amount of fuel line cleaner, plus my 93 octane has no ethanol. The less ethanol, the less carbon.

None of this is just my opinion. It's all over the internet.
You can just get by. Or you can get by much better than "just".
The people that complain and say my methods don;t work, just haven't tried my methods long enough.
For instance!!..... Most replies on boards like this one state they tried a tankful of Premium 93 octane on their Korean four cylinders and didn't see or feel any difference.

I always tell them to try 3-4 'consecutive" 93 octanes...... even 89 octane Top-Tier. You will feel a difference then. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer to flush the gunk out of the lines and injectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced

Thanks
Hello everyone
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced

Thanks
We have a 17 Tucson Limited, which we bought 2/19. Discovered oil consumption problem in 3/20. No resolution yet. Does anyone know of someone getting this issue resolved under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
432 Posts
We have a 17 Tucson Limited, which we bought 2/19. Discovered oil consumption problem in 3/20. No resolution yet. Does anyone know of someone getting this issue resolved under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty?
Possibly, it's best to check it your dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I switched from 87 octane to 89 Tp-Tier, it ran better and provided the fuel lines and injectors with a little more cleaning agent.
None of this is just my opinion. It's all over the internet.
I thought they all had the same amount of cleaning agent, per brand, and that the only difference between octanes were that the higher octane ones had additives to prevent pre-ignition?

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
432 Posts
I thought they all had the same amount of cleaning agent, per brand, and that the only difference between octanes were that the higher octane ones had additives to prevent pre-ignition?
I know in Canada for Petro Canada they have 50% more cleaning additives in the premium fuel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Consumer Reports has shown many times that using premium gas in cars that don't require it is a waste of money. All Top Tier gas has 2 - 3 times the detergent than other gasolines. If you are using Techron in addition that is overkill IMHO. Agree on the CRC - unfortunately the before and after pictures I have didn't show much change. I need to find a place that does walnut blasting.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
432 Posts
Consumer Reports has shown many times that using premium gas in cars that don't require it is a waste of money. All Top Tier gas has 2 - 3 times the detergent than other gasolines. If you are using Techron in addition that is overkill IMHO. Agree on the CRC - unfortunately the before and after pictures I have didn't show much change. I need to find a place that does walnut blasting.
You're right, that and most fuels contain ethanol which is a good cleaner as well. So most likely the fuel injectors should stay relatively clean. GDI injectors spray at 200x the pressure vs port inject so that amount of pressure with a top tier fuel should be all that you need.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts