Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I currently have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Sport that is burning out all oil at 1800 miles and shows a black stick when checking the oil. The oil light started coming on and we started an oil consumption test during our last visit. My wife drove over the 1000 miles but it is still currently being measured by me and 1890 miles no oil and stick oil shows very dark. Hyundai wants to charge for oil consumption testing now and charges 151.00 for first test, 467.00 for second test and 63.00 for last test. This was free a month ago. Absolutely ridiculous..... anyway are others having this same problem?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The oil light came on because you let the oil get too low and as there was no oil to be picked up, so the light came on. Oil consumtion tests are a waste of time anymore as Hyundai/Kia have changed their tune concerning this dilemma, so just make ceratin you keep the oil full, continue to drive the car and hopefully some day the engine will seize and they will install a new engine.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you routinely drive 1800+ miles without checking the dipstick and topping off the oil, that's simple neglect.
Running with the oil level low increases engine wear and oil consumption. It's a vicious circle.
Look in the Owner's Manual and you will see it recommends checking the oil every time you get gas.
Most car maker manuals say this.
Once you've established how much, if any, oil is consumed you can space out the checks.
My cars for the last 30+ years don't use oil, but I still check every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If you routinely drive 1800+ miles without checking the dipstick and topping off the oil, that's simple neglect.
Running with the oil level low increases engine wear and oil consumption. It's a vicious circle.
Look in the Owner's Manual and you will see it recommends checking the oil every time you get gas.
Once you've established how much, if any, oil is consumed you can space out the checks.
My cars for the last 30+ years don't use oil, but I still check every 1000 miles.
One thing to keep in mind is that when these engines decide to gobble up oil, it will go off the dipstick in under a thousand miles.
Although my 2.0T didn't seize, it was replaced for oil consumption qt p/325 miles.
Daughter's 2017 2.4, 10 days after an oil change the light came on, down 3 qts.

On the other side of the spectrum, the wife's Acura TL we've had for 17 years, oil change every year and can't remember the last time I
checked the oil level as the car uses virtually no oil at all.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I check the oil approx every 500 miles. I change the oil with synthetic every 3-3.75k.

Never blame the dealer or Hyunkia Inc. for ownership maintenance neglect.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Sport
37 Posts
Real simple, every time you add full tank gas you should be checking your oil at minimum. It only takes 1 minute to do. Than to get best out of engine add only a good synthetic oil at minimum change it every 5k miles or every 4 months whatever hits first, and use a high quality filter, I put bit more miles on than most, so with highway driving I have zero issue changing oil every 5k. If you do not put lots of miles on change every 4months or 3500 miles. Get in habit of checking oil every time you fill a car, just like you should check air pressure often also. You will catch issues much faster and your engine will thank you.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Real simple, every time you add full tank gas you should be checking your oil at minimum. It only takes 1 minute to do. Than to get best out of engine add only a good synthetic oil at minimum change it every 5k miles or every 4 months whatever hits first, and use a high quality filter, I put bit more miles on than most, so with highway driving I have zero issue changing oil every 5k. If you do not put lots of miles on change every 4months or 3500 miles. Get in habit of checking oil every time you fill a car, just like you should check air pressure often also. You will catch issues much faster and your engine will thank you.
Not saying that checking the oil at every fill-up would be a bad idea, but it would be a cold day if/when I would do that, but with these engines guess it wouldn't hurt.
4 months, 3500 miles, along with a good synthetic and filter, all a waste of money. Maybe you're not familiar with these engines, but no type of maintenance nor oil quality will keep the engine from going. The only reason I use synthetic, is that it's less expensive than Dino, @ $3 p/qt, dexos, SN plus, 5-30.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Sport
37 Posts
Very familiar with these engines and reasons for using a synthetic. Regular oil changes are very important. Simple common sense approach to maintenance goes a long ways, have 30 years experience with Industrial machinery and power plant operations and PM's are very important. Driving style is part of consideration hence why I change mine every 5K miles.

·
Registered
2019 Sonata Sport 2.4L GDI
403 Posts
Very familiar with these engines and reasons for using a synthetic. Regular oil changes are very important. Simple common sense approach to maintenance goes a long ways, have 30 years experience with Industrial machinery and power plant operations and PM's are very important. Driving style is part of consideration hence why I change mine every 5K miles.
Yes! And be sure to use either the oem or very high quality brand aftermarket oil filter.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
How are you very familiar with these engines and reasons why to use synthetic? Reason I ask is if all it takes is synthetic to maker certain that the engines don't seize, I'd say Hyundai/Kia aren't that dumb and would have issued a TSB years ago rather than spending millions on replacements.

·
Registered
115 Posts
How are you very familiar with these engines and reasons why to use synthetic? Reason I ask is if all it takes is synthetic to maker certain that the engines don't seize, I'd say Hyundai/Kia aren't that dumb and would have issued a TSB years ago rather than spending millions on replacements.
the only reason to use synthetic is the stability during high temps and for longer compare to Dyno oil. Hyundai/Kia use Blend in their basic oil change and changing the type of oil wont change the inherent design failure that the engine had. whatever excuses H/K uses. the frequent oil changes and used of better than base oil will help lower the changes of this happening since you are not letting whatever shavings stay to long int he engine and the better oil helps by keeping lubrication even if shavings are present.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Simple neglect is Hyundai manufacturing vehicles with defective engines.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
the only reason to use synthetic is the stability during high temps and for longer compare to Dyno oil. Hyundai/Kia use Blend in their basic oil change and changing the type of oil wont change the inherent design failure that the engine had. whatever excuses H/K uses. the frequent oil changes and used of better than base oil will help lower the changes of this happening since you are not letting whatever shavings stay to long int he engine and the better oil helps by keeping lubrication even if shavings are present.
Problems are the shavings from abnormal cylinder deformity, along with ring wear, they will build up on the oil pump screen and away goes the engine, synthetic or Dino, no difference.
Many, many engine gone when synthetic has been used. I sound like a broken record, but as stated before, there is nothing one can do to prevent the demise of the engine, if it's destined to go, it will go.
Kia/Hyundai, without a doubt, would have made technical/maintenance changes if there were anything that would help these engines.

Actually have never seen anything like it. I've used this example before, daughter '17 Santa Fe 2.4 always synthetic, never needed oil added between changes, had the oil changed @ 72,000 miles and 3 weeks later the oil light came on, down 3 qts. Had her keep driving the SUV, keep oil full, and 2 months later the engine seized 9 miles after the CEL P1326 came on.
Just junk engines.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Problems are the shavings from abnormal cylinder deformity, along with ring wear, they will build up on the oil pump screen and away goes the engine, synthetic or Dino, no difference.
Many, many engine gone when synthetic has been used. I sound like a broken record, but as stated before, there is nothing one can do to prevent the demise of the engine, if it's destined to go, it will go.
Kia/Hyundai, without a doubt, would have made technical/maintenance changes if there were anything that would help these engines.

Actually have never seen anything like it. I've used this example before, daughter '17 Santa Fe 2.4 always synthetic, never needed oil added between changes, had the oil changed @ 72,000 miles and 3 weeks later the oil light came on, down 3 qts. Had her keep driving the SUV, keep oil full, and 2 months later the engine seized 9 miles after the CEL P1326 came on.
Just junk engines.
and thank god they decided to replace it, instead of try to fix it after 9-10 year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having similar issue with oil consumption.
For me its cheaper to change oil for 6 years old car than spend more money at dealership.

In my case : When check engine light comes on at 39k miles and dealership wants to skim more money from you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you sure that you are driving a Hyundai if it is not burning oil ? For some people 1800 miles can happen within 3 weeks and its not possible for everyone to check oil level at gas station. Remember , you need to wait for 15 min before you can see the oil level. People usually spend less than 5 min at gas station.

There is definitely issue with these engines as my oil level drops each time I go for oil change.

Hopefully OP gets resolution to the issue without wasting lots of money at dealership.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Are you sure that you are driving a Hyundai if it is not burning oil ?
The 2.0 Nu engine in my Tucson does not have a reputation for burning oil.
Besides, 30 years ago I learned to inspect the tailpipe when buying a used car (I've never bought new) for oily deposits,
Dry soot is okay with GDI.
For some people 1800 miles can happen within 3 weeks and its not possible for everyone to check oil level at gas station. Remember , you need to wait for 15 min before you can see the oil level.
It takes me anywhere from 3 days (road trip) to 3 months to drive 1000 miles.
I check oil in the morning, after it sits overnight.
So one could check it the morning after getting gas.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Best to check the oil every 500 miles and when the engine is cold and on flat surface.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts