Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have 2012 SE and 2013 limited. I use full synthetic oil in both. Oils are always dark (as you would see when oil change is due) even after fresh oil change.

In my other cars, when you change oil, it is so clear that it is sometime hard to see in dip stick.

Anyone has noticed this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Normal and why I recommend the severe service interval and synthetic media oil filters

Reactions: 54strife

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Did you buy this car new? Do you know its oil change history?
Sounds like it didn't get enough oil changes in the past and now the oil is cleaning out sludge and varnish.
Take off the oil fill cap and look inside with a flashlight.
How does it look? Better yet take a photo.
Also make sure the PCV valve is clear and getting vacuum.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
If you are talking dipstick oil color, then change the oil every 2k until the dipstick oil appears clear after 500 miles of use.
Then do a couple 3K changes. Use 5w30 instead of 5w20.

My dipstick oil color is very close to clear at 1k. At 2K, it's amber brown. It turns black by 3k and that's when I do an OCI.
For those that say oil color should not be a judge, I laugh. They are still trying to relive the old SJ, SL, and SM certifications.

Gasoline oils intended for modern engine 0w20, 5w20/30 applications don't naturally get black early anymore. Those days are gone.
If your oil turns black soon, you have a dirty engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. I did buy car new. And never missed oil change.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Gasoline oils intended for modern engine 0w20, 5w20/30 applications don't naturally get black early anymore. Those days are gone.
If your oil turns black soon, you have a dirty engine.
That's seem unusual as the replacement engine after the first oil change the oil was far from clear..............................black.
Just changed the oil yesterday and want to guess the color, black. Sues it needs to be changed every 500 miles.

Had an appointment so departed in a hurry, but did want to add, from Amsoil:
Oil Myth: The color of the oil indicates when it’s time for an oil change
It’s common to assume that black motor oil has worn out or become too saturated with contaminants to protect your engine and
requires changing. Not necessarily. As we saw, discoloration is a natural byproduct of heat and soot particles, which are too small
to wear out your engine.

Similar to transmission fluid, its dyed red to distinguish it from other fluids and over time it will change color, turn darker, but that
does not indicate the fluid is "worn out".

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did buy car new. And never missed oil change.
GDI soot darkens the oil. Nothing to worry about. And, never missing an oil change means little. The question is whether your oil change intervals are soon enough or not, for your weather conditions and driving style.

GDI soot is abrasive and the OE filter 'was' a 50 micron joke. Not sure what Hyundai rates their new filters. Use an aftermarket filter, like the Fram Ultra, Purolator Boss, Amsoil, Royalpurple, WixXp, or Napa Platinum.

My oil is clean after an oil/filter change..... and shades with mileage.

The issue is that your oil turns immediately dark after an oil/filter change. So, either your dealer/shop is taking shortcuts, or your interval is excessive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GDI soot darkens the oil. Nothing to worry about. And, never missing an oil change means little. The question is whether your oil change intervals are soon enough or not, for your weather conditions and driving style.

GDI soot is abrasive and the OE filter 'was' a 50 micron joke. Not sure what Hyundai rates their new filters. Use an aftermarket filter, like the Fram Ultra, Purolator Boss, Amsoil, Royalpurple, WixXp, or Napa Platinum.

My oil is clean after an oil/filter change..... and shades with mileage.

The issue is that your oil turns immediately dark after an oil/filter change. So, either your dealer/shop is taking shortcuts, or your interval is excessive.
Thanks,
I change oil myself and on recommended intervals even with full synthetic oil. I have been using Hyundai filters last few oil changes. I have not paid much attention to filters though. Driving is not hard at all.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Changed the oil today, DIY. Black as h3ll at 3,400 miles. This in on a new block that's seen 21k on it so far and this is it's 6th oil change. Synthetic oil diet, and Fram XG9688...prior oil had it's fair share of short winter trips and idling. And I do enjoy spooling the turbo 😁

Also serviced both front and rear brakes....cleaned the brake hardware to get all the winter salt off.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
That's seem unusual as the replacement engine after the first oil change the oil was far from clear..............................black.
Just changed the oil yesterday and want to guess the color, black. Sues it needs to be changed every 500 miles.

Had an appointment so departed in a hurry, but did want to add, from Amsoil:
Oil Myth: The color of the oil indicates when it’s time for an oil change
It’s common to assume that black motor oil has worn out or become too saturated with contaminants to protect your engine and
requires changing. Not necessarily. As we saw, discoloration is a natural byproduct of heat and soot particles, which are too small
to wear out your engine.

Similar to transmission fluid, its dyed red to distinguish it from other fluids and over time it will change color, turn darker, but that
does not indicate the fluid is "worn out".
In re-reading my comment, I forgot to exclude GDI / TGDI engines, for they display soot / carbon regularly. My bad!
So yes, these engine oils will turn black eventually after every OCI. Mine turn black at 3K.
1k - still clear
2k - amber brown
3k - black
I suspect the turbo engines (never owned one and never will) will turn black sooner.....maybe by 2k. But in no way should that oil be black soon after an OCI. If it is, then change the oil earlier for the next few OCIs.

Or, one can live with soot / carbon black oil early-on for a long time. But it will eventually catch-up to the vehicle owner and shorten life of things like timing chains......etc. Enough of it's buildup turns the engine oil into sludge.....etc.

I'm done with this thread. Need something answered from here?...... please PM Me.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My recent oil change after 14 months and 3500 miles, the oil was medium brown, not black.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Probably needs a good engine flush, i have had great luck using BG EPR shake it & pour it in & run the engine at 1300 low rpm for 15-20 minutes with the ocasionall light rev for splashing. it will clean in-behind piston rings as well. Product is amazing and very safe to use wont harm any gaskets either highly recommend it Professional grade product You will see results. cheers (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts