Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i got the first oil change, i told the shop 5w-30, but they didnt listen, and put in the 0w-20. so i decided to refill with 5w-30. dug out my old mityvac, it was really dirty from not being used in at least 4 years. so i take it outside to clean it, and trip over a sprinkler head that has not retracted, breaking it. skin up my arm falling against the wall. the freaking water nozzle is clogged up, again not being used, by some insect that has made a home in there. has anyone noticed that the oil filter is a cannister, and the filter also fits the accent? now i know why i quit doing this, and take the car to a shop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I have noticed it's a canister, I did my first oil change myself, and it's just as easy of a change as a regular oil filter. I like doing my own oil changes because I know it will be a good job and I'll be putting in the oil that I want. I also chose 5w30 instead of the 0w20, I live in hot southern cali weather.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
when i got the first oil change, i told the shop 5w-30, but they didnt listen, and put in the 0w-20. so i decided to refill with 5w-30. dug out my old mityvac, it was really dirty from not being used in at least 4 years. so i take it outside to clean it, and trip over a sprinkler head that has not retracted, breaking it. skin up my arm falling against the wall. the freaking water nozzle is clogged up, again not being used, by some insect that has made a home in there. has anyone noticed that the oil filter is a cannister, and the filter also fits the accent? now i know why i quit doing this, and take the car to a shop
You and I are just getting to old for this crap!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have noticed it's a canister, I did my first oil change myself, and it's just as easy of a change as a regular oil filter. I like doing my own oil changes because I know it will be a good job and I'll be putting in the oil that I want. I also chose 5w30 instead of the 0w20, I live in hot southern cali weather.
i didnt change the filter, where did you jack the car from? the last cannister filter i had was a 1968 bmw, and i never changed the oil on it. it was totaled just 2 weeks after i bought it. i hate these cars nowdays that dont have central jack point. ramps just dont do it for me. this is where i miss the shop where i can stand under the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i didnt change the filter, where did you jack the car from? the last cannister filter i had was a 1968 bmw, and i never changed the oil on it. it was totaled just 2 weeks after i bought it. i hate these cars nowdays that dont have central jack point. ramps just dont do it for me. this is where i miss the shop where i can stand under the car.
I use ramps when changing my oil.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's a paper filter that you attach to a metal piece inside of the outer plastic spin on housing.
interesting! that is not what comes up when i search for oil filter on amazon....wait? wha? "outer plastic housing"?? Not even metal? sheesh..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just looked at Rock Auto both engines show spin on oil filters...:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just looked at Rock Auto both engines show spin on oil filters...:)
which makes me even more confused...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you happen to know the part number you used? Do you install a drain valve while you were doing it?
i have a genuine right here. 26350-2M000. also, cabin filter, 97133-L0000. this also has got to be the same for another car. the aftermarket takes a while to get up to speed on parts for new cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
do you happen to know the part number you used? Do you install a drain valve while you were doing it?
No, this filter doesn't use a drain valve. I don't remember the part#, I didn't save it. I just went to the dealer and they searched the oil filter by my VIN#. I wanted an OEM filter and/or I didn't think an auto parts store would carry a different brand oil filter for this car yet being a new model.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
which makes me even more confused...
this is typical of an aftermarket parts store. depending on the size, they may have a research dept that takes genuine part numbers and crosses them to aftermarket parts, like wix. however, wix may have the wrong cross, and it gets passed downhill. after i retired, and got bored to death, i got a part time job at oreillys. at that time, we had a couple of mazda millenias with the 2.3 engine. all the catalogs showed the wrong spark plug, and i continually sent correction emails to national. ngk also had the wrong cross, and i only contacted them once, they replied that i was correct, but that it would take a while to correct it in their catalog. way before that, i worked for a company that direct imported parts for german cars out of europe. we were a huge bosch warehouse. bosch has a big rebuild plant in georgia. in their catalog, they had a starter for a certain bmw, and they listed 3 different starters for the same year car. i was on the phone with the plant product manager, told him to pull all 3 starters, and call me back. he did, and he agreed that all 3 were completely different. then he asked if i knew which one was correct. of course, i did, but i declined to do their work for them. another time, we got a pile of alternators for a very popular car, and they were all clocked wrong. at first, the owner didnt believe me. "how can bosch, who is the original manufacturer be wrong?" when several shops sent them back, and verified they were clocked wrong, we notified bosch, who pretty much said we were a bunch of dumba$$e$, and to leave the research to them. we sent them all back, and several months later, we get a notice from bosch that the alternator in question is clocked wrong. DOH!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
and crap. I bought the same fumoto valve i had on my 2019. wonder if THAT will fit...
Let us know if the fumoto valve fits. I am interested in getting one.

·
Registered
342 Posts
No, this filter doesn't use a drain valve. I don't remember the part#, I didn't save it. I just went to the dealer and they searched the oil filter by my VIN#. I wanted an OEM filter and/or I didn't think an auto parts store would carry a different brand oil filter for this car yet being a new model.
A fumoto (or oil change valve) valve replaces the standard drain "plug" (bolt) in most cars used to drain the oil. It is not used by the filter. I am ASSuming this car has a standard drain plug, but i could be wrong..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts