Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! I bought a '15 LF Sport Limited 2.0 about a month ago. When I bought the car, salesman said all fluids were up to date but the oil change sticker is missing. I asked specifically about this and he said not to worry it was done. I bought from a Nissan dealer but I'm thinking of taking it into Hyundai to change the oil for piece of mind.

My question right now is, what's the best oil change routine for the 2.0? Synthetic? Dinosaur oil? I have 44k and really want this car to last a long time. I'm very busy with work and don't have the time nor the place to do an oil change at home (apartments forbid it).

Thank you
Ryan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey y'all! I bought a '15 LF Sport Limited 2.0 about a month ago. When I bought the car, salesman said all fluids were up to date but the oil change sticker is missing. I asked specifically about this and he said not to worry it was done. I bought from a Nissan dealer but I'm thinking of taking it into Hyundai to change the oil for piece of mind.

My question right now is, what's the best oil change routine for the 2.0? Synthetic? Dinosaur oil? I have 44k and really want this car to last a long time. I'm very busy with work and don't have the time nor the place to do an oil change at home (apartments forbid it).

Thank you
Ryan
I would personally check the fuilds.. I was told the same..but that was not the case as my car desperately needed an oil change. I would also try to follow Hyundai's recommendation for service, (that is what I am doing) I need my car to also last for a long time. I would also find a nice friendly Hyundai dealer and have them be your go to. Oil change, etc. I use Full synthetic

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
First read the owner's manual, maintenance section, that should have come with the car, if not, order one.

A lot depends on the type of driving you do, short versus highway mileage, the climate you live in etc. That will determine the severe versus normal oil change schedule and also suggest synthetic especially if you live in a cold climate area

·
Registered
342 Posts
Americans still appear to be obsessed with being ripped off at autolube outfits at 3,000 miles. Too much trouble to look into the service book and observe the manufacturers oil change and service schedules. What good is a sticker and a salesman's "word" you should buy a car with a proper service history.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Thank you
Ryan
First, it's 2.0T not just 2 0.

Second, you're due for new spark plugs at 45k miles. Problem is Hyundai changed the spec on the plugs, so the new ones dealers are installing are custom NGK plugs ONLY for Hyundai and are unavailable through auto parts stores. Hyundai dealers therefore charge anywhere from $25 to $40 EACH for the plugs PLUS installation. If you're handy or have a buddy with tools and the most basic experience at wrenching, you can change the plugs in about 20 minutes without even getting your hands dirty.

Finally, best oil change routine, IMO, is to buy your own oil, filters, and gaskets from cheapest source (but best brands) then take your supplies into a local shop and have them change the oil for you. You're on a 5k mille OIC, if I recall correctly. You'll have control over what is done to your car, know the best oil/filters are used, and keep your cost down to a minimum. Next best thing to doing it yourself. I've used Walmart in the past, but they recently raised their prices so I've switched to Pep Boys who do the change for $20. I also recommend you lay in a supply of OEM engine air filters (x1) and cabin air filters (x2 or x3) which you can change yourself in 5 minutes flat.

Congrats on the new wheels!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you just have the 2.0, semi-synthetic.. for a few dollars more. If you go to a non-dealer, buy a couple of OEM oil filters. They are available at the dealer for $4 or Amazon. Always put on an OEM filter, get the washer too. Pull the dip stick...is it clear ? Should be a sticker somewhere. Do you have a dash computer oil reminder ? Depends on the model of the car, they can be reset to what ever mileage reminder you want, then reset to zero when you get the oil changed. I change mine every 5K. Been going to the same oil change place for several years now, they know the routine. I get $3 off because I bring my own filter, they have a coupon in a local paper too ! The wife's car is a SFS turbo, I have a Sonata hybrid, they both get full synthetic because of that. My car starts 50 times in a day.

I would find a safe business to change the oil. Even if you want to be cheap, $20 every few month, plus you get a receipt, you stay warm, you don't have to find a place to get rid of the oil. My hybrid has 9 screws to remove to get to the engine.. they spend 5 min just getting it on/off. and it's the same price as my wife's car.

I go with the better oil, OEM filter and 5K. I believe the booklet states 7.5K but would never do that. Check your oil at every fill up. See how many mile it takes to go dark.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Oil is one of the most argued topics on any forum.
go to www.bobistheoilguy.com for a lot of oil info , maintaince etc.

Safest and IMO smartest thing is follow the service manual or more frequent if it makes you feel better . You have the 2.0t (turbo) so your oil/filter interval is 5,000 miles and in most cases it is hard to argue that full synthetic in not the best for a turbo engine.

I have the space and tools to do all my own maintenance but for the cost I use my dealer every 5000 miles for oil and filter change and the 64 point service manual check up, they use Mobil 1 (full synthetic) total cost is $ 69.00 and they wash the car, they have a fast lane for basic service so Im in and out in 45 minutes and the dealer has full records of service (if I did it myself the filter is $6 and a 5gt Mobil 1 from Walmart is $ 24.00 = $ 30.00 so im paying an extra $39 for the dealer to do it and have records that it was done as well as the overall check, tires, alignment, belts, hoses etc as outlined in the service manual). When the service schedule calls for air or cabin filter changes i do it myself, doesn't take any tools and is a 5 min job. OEM Hyundai filters can be found at discount at many on line Hyundai Dealers. On line OEM air fiilters are $15.00 and cabin filters are about $20 usually more than half of what you dealer will charge you for filter and install.

Also the turbo also calls for spark plug change at 45,000 miles and as previously said factory plugs are expensive but can be found on line for about $18-20 each and are a 15-20 min simple change to DIY and you will save $75 labor but if you dont have the tools or are not comfortable find a independent shop to change them but buy the factory plugs on line and save $

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Oil is one of the most argued topics on any forum.
go to www.bobistheoilguy.com for a lot of oil info , maintaince etc.

Safest and IMO smartest thing is follow the service manual or more frequent if it makes you feel better . You have the 2.0t (turbo) so your oil/filter interval is 5,000 miles and in most cases it is hard to argue that full synthetic in not the best for a turbo engine.

I have the space and tools to do all my own maintenance but for the cost I use my dealer every 5000 miles for oil and filter change and the 64 point service manual check up, they use Mobil 1 (full synthetic) total cost is $ 69.00 and they wash the car, they have a fast lane for basic service so Im in and out in 45 minutes and the dealer has full records of service (if I did it myself the filter is $6 and a 5gt Mobil 1 from Walmart is $ 24.00 = $ 30.00 so im paying an extra $39 for the dealer to do it and have records that it was done as well as the overall check, tires, alignment, belts, hoses etc as outlined in the service manual and a car wash).

When the service schedule calls for air or cabin filter changes i do it myself, doesn't take any tools and is a 5 min job. OEM Hyundai filters can be found at discount at many on line Hyundai Dealers. On line OEM air fiilters are $15.00 and cabin filters are about $20 usually more than half of what you dealer will charge you for filter and install. You tube has many videos of how to do and it is just a couple snaps and change the filters

Also the turbo also calls for spark plug change at 45,000 miles and as previously said factory plugs are expensive but can be found on line for about $18-20 each and are a 15-20 min simple change to DIY and you will save $75 labor but if you dont have the tools or are not comfortable find a independent shop to change them but buy the factory plugs on line and save $

·
Registered
86 Posts
5000 Mile OCI for the turbo engines. I recommend fully synthetic, observe the recommended viscosity. My favorite oil filter is the Fram UG. 2nd choice is Mobil-1, both much better filters than the OEM.
I get the oil and the filter ant Walmart, the 5 quart jugs are much cheaper than anywhere else.
The Fram UG is one of the few filters with fully synthetic media and triple dirt holding capacity compared to the OEM filter.
To evaluate filtration efficiency in meaningful terms, you need to know what % of 20 micron particles it filters. 95% or better is pretty good. (Efficiency given @ 40 microns is meaningless)
I only change the filter at every other oil change. The filter is rated for 15K miles, so I think running it 10K miles is safe.

I also use a vacuum oil extractor, which makes the job totally painless, esp. when I do not need to change the filter.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Thank you
Ryan

Anyone seeking advice in this forum deserves the best only, but you will not know the difference between that and nonsense. Ideally, persons with a vehicle like yours would offer the best advice, but this is more of a general subject - so allow me.

Read the owners manual. Everything you need to know is there. Furthermnore, be specific. Unless the engine in you car was replaced, it should be a 2.0T - a turbocharged engine. A Hyundai 2.0 litre engine is completely different from a 2.0T and not offered in the LF Sonata in this region.

Only you would know the oil change interval that should be followed. Three factors determine that: the oil selected for use, the use to which your vehicle is put, and the conditions under which your vehicle is operated. A 5000 - 7500 mile oil change interval comes with conditions. You must always drive your car in favourably consistent moderate climates, on the very best roads, using the very best fuel, at normal operating temperature for extended periods of time, and with the car always in tip top condition. These are the unobtainable ideal conditions under which you should be changing oil between 5000 and 7500 miles. In other words, in a laboratory where testing was done to determine the maximum capacity of today's store or shop lubricants.

Use a full synthetic engine oil. There is no advantage to using a 'conventional' product.

At the time of this response none of the forum members informed you of the very important service specification. Look for an engine oil that meets or exceeds the latest ACEA specification or the API SN Plus (+) only.

·
Registered
16 Posts
several have brought up points i've made but still all important and can't hurt to repeat some for those new to engine maintenance.

personally i have used synthetic on all my vehicles for a couple decades with great results. that said with the issue of carbon build up on GDI engines i specifically looked for the synth oil that did best in regards to volatility, flash points. i found the top two from the data sheets i read to be Mobil One ext. perf. & pennzoil ultra. i also went with a mobil one filter, the store was out of the K&N size i needed at the time. both from my perspective do a great job with filtration, use unique media internally, just better all around. the one thing few discuss on filters is how the filter media holds up over time. what material is used to filter matters nearly as much as how much they filter out. if the media clogs, collapses or turns to paperlike mush not good. i learned the hard way using a good synthetic oil along with a cheapo filter it cost me dearly.

one last thing i never use oil change reminder stickers. mostly as i've almost always done my own. regardless if it's me or a shop i have my oil changed every fall, each year, no matter under miles, makes no difference. i've nothing to remember just after the heat of the summer driving i just do it. to each their own :)

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Only you would know the oil change interval that should be followed. Three factors determine that: the oil selected for use, the use to which your vehicle is put, and the conditions under which your vehicle is operated. A 5000 - 7500 mile oil change interval comes with conditions. You must always drive your car in favourably consistent moderate climates, on the very best roads, using the very best fuel, at normal operating temperature for extended periods of time, and with the car always in tip top condition. These are the unobtainable ideal conditions under which you should be changing oil between 5000 and 7500 miles. In other words, in a laboratory where testing was done to determine the maximum capacity of today's store or shop lubricants.
That overall is one of the best comments I have read in an oil thread.......:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts