Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first oil change on my Sonata 2018 Limited at Dealership. A few days later I checked the dip stick in the morning when the engine was cold. The oil reads well past the full mark. See the attached picture. I drove back to the dealer and showed them the picture and then they took another reading. They said that it is normal for the oil to read above full and that once you start the car and start driving the reading goes down as the oil is dispersed throughout the engine. Sounds logical, but not sure and the reading did go down when he took the reading after I drove to the dealership just half a mile away. I always thought you were supposed to take a measurement when the engine was cold, but they said that when the engine is cold all the oil pools down so it will be above full. Does this sound right or are they just covering their asses?

Thanks SLMG2018

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Interesting.
I went in to dealership for oil consumption issue because I have been topping up oil more than 1 quarts in every 1000-1500 kms.
My dealer suggested me to read the dip stick when it’s cold, so oil can go back in pan and then they can see and measure loss of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
It looks like a quart over-filled...a little over I wouldn't worry...this is excessive.

Reactions: NDSE

·
Registered
689 Posts
that is definitely way over. But to be sure, are you checking on a flat surface? Even the slightest incline or decline will mess up readings.

My thought is that they did not let the old oil all drain out before putting the oil drain plug back in to put in new oil. Maybe junior technician had other more important things to do like slacking off.

take it back and get it drained out and filled properly. When your engine is hot, and you check again you will find that the level will even be higher!!!! Don't let it bubble over and foam over your engine.

I'm somewhat of an expert when it comes to talking about Sonata oil level checking as I did it every 500 Kilometres.

My dealer at most, overfills just past the letter F. Usually they top it to the actual letter "F" rather than the hole.

here is how it looks after one of the dealer oil changes:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Checking when cold, sitting overnight is, IMO the most accurate for long term comparison purposes. the dealer is not correct, once started (unless just after a filter change) the oil level does not go down and oil does expand a little when hot so a hot reading on my cars is usually a little higher than a cold reading.

Yours is overfilled by perhaps 1/2 quart or so, probably not an issue.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I measured the picture of OP with my fingers using the L and F dots as ratio. It actually looks 1.5 qrts overfilled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
like MattTRIX said a flat surface is critical. if i pull my car a little to far into my garage i get a reading just like that.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Check the oil level per instructions in your owners manual.

Something not right at a dealership when the techs waste money and grossly overfill engines.

They might have a habit since so many earlier engines were oil burners.

I would have them correct the oil level per their owners manual or their factory service manual. If they don't, tell them to enjoy the massive amount of negative feedback that you will give them during the typical post service surveys.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,074 Posts
The dealer is not wrong. I have for years preferred to test my oil level just after I shut the engine off. The dip stick then should show level at the full mark. After sitting the oil drains down from the engine and will show over the full mark.

What you get with doing it this way is a little more oil volume which helps keep the oil a little cooler.

·
Registered
689 Posts
For me, the difference between checking the oil hot and cold is not that much. The OP's huge variance from the F dot is way too big for it to be a normal cold level.

Even when checking while engine is still hot, you gotta wait for the oil to drain back, like 15-20 minutes before you take the reading.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
There will be a slight increase on the dipstick on a completely cold engine opposed to a freshly shut down engine.
But that dipstick reading is way over full.
No way there is a quart and a half of oil sitting in various places in the engine that would drain down and give that high a reading.
Too much oil can cause serious issues, especially if the crank counterweights hit the oil and foam the oil.
Oil pumps can't push foam so your engine will starve for oil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, I agree that you need to follow the Owners Manual on how to check oil. My car had not been started since yesterday and was setting on a flat surface. I checked the oil and it was over full (bout a half quart) and I think that is where it was when I changed it about 1,500 miles back. I ran the engine until it was warm and then checked the oil as soon as I shut it off and it was right on the full mark. I reloaded some shells to kill some time (maybe 5 minutes) and to give it time to drain back, and checked it again and it was almost back to when it was cold. I then reloaded a few more shells and checked it again and it was back up to the original reading. I don’t think it hurts to be a little over full but just looking at the dipstick is a hard way to tell how much overfull that it reall is.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Half a quart over will not hurt anything but being a quart and a half over like OP is may start to cause problems.

threadjack/ What are you reloading and what press are you using?
I have an old Rock Chucker but want to get a nice Dillon some day.

·
Registered
54 Posts
threadjack/ What are you reloading and what press are you using?
I have an old Rock Chucker but want to get a nice Dillon some day.
I have a Lee Turret and reload 9mm, 45, 223 and 300 BLK. Mostly I reload 9mm because I shoot both IDPA and USPSA and go through 120 to 200 round per match.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,074 Posts
Check the oil level per instructions in your owners manual.

Something not right at a dealership when the techs waste money and grossly overfill engines.

They might have a habit since so many earlier engines were oil burners.

I would have them correct the oil level per their owners manual or their factory service manual. If they don't, tell them to enjoy the massive amount of negative feedback that you will give them during the typical post service surveys.
The dealer is not wrong. I have for years preferred to test my oil level just after I shut the engine off. The dip stick then should show level at the full mark. After sitting the oil drains down from the engine and will show over the full mark.

What you get with doing it this way is a little more oil volume which helps keep the oil a little cooler.
I rekindle this thread only because I am trying to determine IF I am burning oil.
I actually just read the owner's manual to learn what Hyundai wants me to do.

Manual says: Check oil with hot engine - turn engine off - wait about five minutes then check level. The level should be (ideal) at the full mark but is OK if in range between low and full marks. Manual says if close to low mark then top up. This means at the gas station it's best to let the engine sit while you fill before checking the oil level. Or after returning from a trip with hot engine.

If you check the level just immediately after turning the engine off the oil will show about 1/2 quart down - which will lead you to think you need to add oil, but with Hyundai's method the level is fine.

I think for doing accurate oil consumption readings it's best to start from a new oil and filter change so that you can know exactly how much oil is in the sump. The manual says 5.07 quarts. I will be using this as my starting point by doing the change, starting the engine and getting it warm then leaving overnight for the oil to drain down and doing a level check then to set a start point. I have bought a graduated 1 quart measuring cup that I can use to measure any oil added and know over time the consumption - if any.

This is all easier with somewhat dirty oil.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Just had my first oil change on my Sonata 2018 Limited at Dealership. A few days later I checked the dip stick in the morning when the engine was cold. The oil reads well past the full mark. See the attached picture. I drove back to the dealer and showed them the picture and then they took another reading. They said that it is normal for the oil to read above full and that once you start the car and start driving the reading goes down as the oil is dispersed throughout the engine. Sounds logical, but not sure and the reading did go down when he took the reading after I drove to the dealership just half a mile away. I always thought you were supposed to take a measurement when the engine was cold, but they said that when the engine is cold all the oil pools down so it will be above full. Does this sound right or are they just covering their asses?

Thanks SLMG2018
That's the wrong answer. Best to check after vehicle sets for a couple minutes on level surface and fully warmed. Or check fully cold on level surface. Also look at both sides of the dipstick. If there's oil on the sides of the tube it can gather on the stick as you pull it out. It usually will only get on one side of the stick. But when you check with the car full cold after sitting several hours this is not a problem.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I suspect this is some managers lame reaction to the Theta engine failures.

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
514 Posts
Based on the photo, that definitely looks like way too much oil. As other posters have stated, a little more over the F mark is no big deal but that looks like an additional quart or more. Checking the oil before it has a chance to drain back into the oil pan is a waste and is a quick and easy way to over fill the crank case.

This and many other reasons why I do my own oil changes (even on a new 2018 Sonata). I know what oil I am putting in, I know what oil filter I am using (and not tightening it to Herculean levels), I know how much oil I'm putting in, and I know it's all done with care because it is MY car and not just one of many cars that need to be done that day. Besides, the more work I do on the car, the more familiar I am with it so when things start to look, feel, or sound "off" it is easier for me to recognize. Furthermore, with the help of all of you on this forum, it gives me an encyclopedia of things to look out for and in many cases an inexpensive and accurate solution. So, to all posters (even those that are sarcastic) thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Based on the photo, that definitely looks like way too much oil. As other posters have stated, a little more over the F mark is no big deal but that looks like an additional quart or more. Checking the oil before it has a chance to drain back into the oil pan is a waste and is a quick and easy way to over fill the crank case.

This and many other reasons why I do my own oil changes (even on a new 2018 Sonata). I know what oil I am putting in, I know what oil filter I am using (and not tightening it to Herculean levels), I know how much oil I'm putting in, and I know it's all done with care because it is MY car and not just one of many cars that need to be done that day. Besides, the more work I do on the car, the more familiar I am with it so when things start to look, feel, or sound "off" it is easier for me to recognize. Furthermore, with the help of all of you on this forum, it gives me an encyclopedia of things to look out for and in many cases an inexpensive and accurate solution. So, to all posters (even those that are sarcastic) thank you.
Hey man,

I cant trust dealerships and wanna start doing oil change on my sonata 2018 sport 2.4L. What filter brand and oil do you use?Castrol EDGE Synthetic Motor Oil, 5-L? Let me know. Im a newbie wanting to do a oil change. Saw youtube videos and best one was 2017 tutorial.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts