·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
407 Posts
Full Synthetic, 0W-20 Quakerstate, every 5,000 miles

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GL and I’ve never owned a car where the crankcase looks so dirty after Every (synthetic) oil change, so frustratin!
FWIW, I just had the first “free” dealer oil change for my 2020 hybrid (7400 miles - manual recommends 7500). 0W-16 recommended for the 2.0L hybrid. I looked at the oil on the dipstick before taking it in - it still looked like honey - almost no darkening.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited Stormy Sea
42 Posts
Just had my second oil change in my 2020 limited. My dealership uses full synthetic Quaker State 0W-20. We change oil every 3 months or 3000 miles here in AZ

·
Registered
487 Posts
i think we need to get clarification on oil change intervals, and type. i know this has already been discussed, but there seems to be different answers depending on what dealer i spoke to. this applies to 1.6t engine. 2020 handbook says oci 6k. 2021 says 8k. when i called the dealers back in 2020, both said cars come with syn blend, and that is what they put back in. now, one dealer says the same thing, another dealer says there was a bulletin back in march(when we got our car) that put the intervals back to 6k for all years, and full synthetic. he also said what they put in is 5w-30. the other dealer, where we got the car, is smaller. the tech/adviser i spoke to said they have not yet serviced any 2021(or maybe he said any 1.6t) cars, and he would check with his tech. while i dont care for the dealer that told me full synthetic, 5w-30, i would take my car there for the free service, otherwise, i just take it to a local independent. which i have already done, twice. of course, calling hyundai customer service does nothing, all they say is ask my local dealer. when i tell them what the 2 dealers said, all i get is , "huh?" so, if anyone else calls their dealer, post back here what is said.
Change to the newest oils with API SP ILSAC GF6A oils. There are 7 new tests which are very difficult to pass. The full version of this test requirements were released Dec. 2020. Many oils have failed the 7 tests.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis belong to ILSAC - International Lubricant Standard and Approval Committee org. The Hyundai factory oil have passed API SP / ILSAC GF6A and GF6B Tests and are certified.

Not all engine oils are created equal. Not all synthetic oil are created equal. Older oils (including Synthetics) have lost 9%-13% wt when exposed to 1 hr 250 C test, or lost 1/2 qt out of 5 qt oil in 1 hr., 250 C test. This contributed to carbon build-up, oil consumption and LSPI - Low Speed Pre-Ignition. (Data from PQIA, compared API SP vs SN vs SL). The new oils were tested to increase the Timing Chain life, reduce carbon, reduce sludge, lower cold temperature (-30 C) cranking viscosity, address LSPI, etc..

(Source of Data, PQIA). A company which passed the API SP / ILSAC GF6A is Warren Distribution. They blend oil for Costco Kirkland full syn, Walmart SuperTech full syn, AutoZone full syn, ORiely full syn, etc. The cold start viscosity for older oils were over 5,500 cp and the new API SP oils improved the cold weather protection by lowering cold crank viscosity to 3,800 cp. Costco Kirkland 5w-30 full syn is $24.95 for 10 Qts, Walmart 5w-30 full syn is $14.95 for 5 qt. Walmart full syn oil change is $49.95.

The best way to determine which oil is best is to use API (American Petroleum Institute org), ILSAC (International Lubricant Standard and Approval Committee org) and PQIA (Petroleum Quality Institute of America) Please read the label. Oil companies have until April 2021. After that date they get decertified and cannot use API certified star.

·
Registered
487 Posts
FWIW, I just had the first “free” dealer oil change for my 2020 hybrid (7400 miles - manual recommends 7500). 0W-16 recommended for the 2.0L hybrid. I looked at the oil on the dipstick before taking it in - it still looked like honey - almost no darkening.
The new ILSAC GF6B or 0w-16 oils have passed very stringent 7+ new tests. Hyundai factory oils have passed the new API SP / ILSAC GF6A and GF6B. These oils have very sophisticated Total Base Number (resist acidification from ethanol fuel additives) and anti-wear components. This oil have passed, improving timing chain life, reduce volitility (old oils standard allowed 9%-13% wt lost in 1 hr, 250 C test), address LSPI - Low Speed Pre-Ignition, lower carbon and sludge build-up, lower cold (-30C) crank viscosity for cold start protection, more high temperature stability, etc..

·
Registered
908 Posts
Change to the newest oils with API SP ILSAC GF6A oils. There are 7 new tests which are very difficult to pass. The full version of this test requirements were released Dec. 2020. Many oils have failed the 7 tests.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis belong to ILSAC - International Lubricant Standard and Approval Committee org. The Hyundai factory oil have passed API SP / ILSAC GF6A and GF6B Tests and are certified.

Not all engine oils are created equal. Not all synthetic oil are created equal. Older oils (including Synthetics) have lost 9%-13% wt when exposed to 1 hr 250 C test, or lost 1/2 qt out of 5 qt oil in 1 hr., 250 C test. This contributed to carbon build-up, oil consumption and LSPI - Low Speed Pre-Ignition. (Data from PQIA, compared API SP vs SN vs SL). The new oils were tested to increase the Timing Chain life, reduce carbon, reduce sludge, lower cold temperature (-30 C) cranking viscosity, address LSPI, etc..

(Source of Data, PQIA). A company which passed the API SP / ILSAC GF6A is Warren Distribution. They blend oil for Costco Kirkland full syn, Walmart SuperTech full syn, AutoZone full syn, ORiely full syn, etc. The cold start viscosity for older oils were over 5,500 cp and the new API SP oils improved the cold weather protection by lowering cold crank viscosity to 3,800 cp. Costco Kirkland 5w-30 full syn is $24.95 for 10 Qts, Walmart 5w-30 full syn is $14.95 for 5 qt. Walmart full syn oil change is $49.95.

The best way to determine which oil is best is to use API (American Petroleum Institute org), ILSAC (International Lubricant Standard and Approval Committee org) and PQIA (Petroleum Quality Institute of America) Please read the label. Oil companies have until April 2021. After that date they get decertified and cannot use API certified star.
Didn't you already post this 9,999,999 times on this site? Good grief.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Idiots posting idiot stuff trying to look smart

·
Registered
487 Posts
Didn't you already post this 9,999,999 times on this site? Good grief.
I will continue to post the new oil specifications API SP ILSAC GF 6A and GF6B, as long as “Used Oil Collectors”, silly annual oil change advocates, wrong oil advocates, diesel oil advocates, old single grade oil advocates are posting recommendations which damage our Hyundai engines.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Idiots posting idiot stuff trying to look smart
Both you and Gaz have advocated diesel oils which damage Hyundai gas engines. People on this forum need to know your decrepit scam to damage Hyundai engines.

You have no engineering test data. Please learn to read English, read the test data from PQIA, API and ILSAC.

You are little boys, cry babies, name calling and opinions to damage people property.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Diesel oils don't damage engines.

I have read their data. PQIA, ILSAC, and API are jokes. This is why automakers come out with their own specs. Use Dexos if you're stuck on US motor oil. I use the euro LL oils. They protect.

Yes, little boys.... just read your posts of ignorance. Want to sure no one follows your useless advice and blabbering nonstop.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There's no other subject like engine oil on car forums...

Raymundo , diesel oils contain more detergents and dispersants with their lovely little polar heads and hydrocarbon tails .

They do not harm any type of ice engine .

Manufacturer specs give far more oil performance profile information than ACEA , API etc .

VW make it very , very simple and produce a dual spec oil 504.00 507.00 .

504.00 is the petrol and 507.00 the diesel in one , one stop shop universal high quality oil that's the highest manufacturer spec I've ever seen .

It does petrol - diesel , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 8 and 10 cylinder , fixed and LongLife variable servicing the latter I don't agree with ! PD , common rail , TFSl , turbo , super charged , N/A , S , R , and RS models .

·
Registered
908 Posts
I will continue to post the new oil specifications API SP ILSAC GF 6A and GF6B, as long as “Used Oil Collectors”, silly annual oil change advocates, wrong oil advocates, diesel oil advocates, old single grade oil advocates are posting recommendations which damage our Hyundai engines.
I certainly hope a strong gust of wind doesn't knock you off your horse. I couldn't imagine a world without the Almighty Ray's sermons on motor oil.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I dont understand. The maintenance guide that comes with the car explains everything and is very clear and not at all complex.

You must abide by the lease maintenance requirements, if any, and the owners manual to maintain warranty coverage. Miles/KM or time, whichever comes 1st, isnt rocket science.

That redflagdeals site is popping up in tech/auto forums everywhere. Sorry, not going there and useless info too. Why are many are trying to drum up members and traffic to that site???

·
Registered
89 Posts
I dont understand. The maintenance guide that comes with the car explains everything and is very clear and not at all complex.

You must abide by the lease maintenance requirements, if any, and the owners manual to maintain warranty coverage. Miles/KM or time, whichever comes 1st, isnt rocket science.

That redflagdeals site is popping up in tech/auto forums everywhere. Sorry, not going there and useless info too. Why are many are trying to drum up members and traffic to that site???
Understood... editing my post. And will delete the content. I really found something in discussion. But can agree with you. For me all this is brain wash. I don't used to this. Sorry.
I scrolled quickly trough Maintenance part of the user manual. Did not find oil filter type and oil type.
Could you point me to the part related to oil and filter part numbers. I will then download manual from US site.
What's popping up is

Do you strictly use Quaker (not oats :) ) ?

Reactions: Gazwould

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could you point me to the chapter in document related to oil and filter part numbers. I will then download manual from US site.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts