Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think we need to get clarification on oil change intervals, and type. i know this has already been discussed, but there seems to be different answers depending on what dealer i spoke to. this applies to 1.6t engine. 2020 handbook says oci 6k. 2021 says 8k. when i called the dealers back in 2020, both said cars come with syn blend, and that is what they put back in. now, one dealer says the same thing, another dealer says there was a bulletin back in march(when we got our car) that put the intervals back to 6k for all years, and full synthetic. he also said what they put in is 5w-30. the other dealer, where we got the car, is smaller. the tech/adviser i spoke to said they have not yet serviced any 2021(or maybe he said any 1.6t) cars, and he would check with his tech. while i dont care for the dealer that told me full synthetic, 5w-30, i would take my car there for the free service, otherwise, i just take it to a local independent. which i have already done, twice. of course, calling hyundai customer service does nothing, all they say is ask my local dealer. when i tell them what the 2 dealers said, all i get is , "huh?" so, if anyone else calls their dealer, post back here what is said.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
IMO what's in the Owner's Manual trumps whatever someone at the dealership says.
If there's a bulletin that changes it I'd want to see it in writing on Hyundai letterhead.
After all that, I'd use full synth 5w-30 or 5w-40 every 5000 miles.

Reactions: OHoh

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited
120 Posts
Another option is to go to the Hyundai web site and check service intervals. The last time I did that a couple of months ago the data provided for the 2020 Limited was the same as in the original owners manual--not updated with the 2021 data.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another option is to go to the Hyundai web site and check service intervals. The last time I did that a couple of months ago the data provided for the 2020 Limited was the same as in the original owners manual--not updated with the 2021 data.
no, the other dealer said that the change was last year march. and the owners manual has lots of misinformation in it. all i care about now is if i take the car to the dealer for oil service, i get full synthetic. all you people that have 1.6t should call your dealer, and find out. and post back, maybe there is a bulletin. if you dont think it is worth your while, or the manual is the key, or whatever, your choice. if i get what i want from the dealer for no charge, that is what i will do, otherwise, i take it to the independent, and tell them what i want. wtf? only a phone call, and a few minutes of your time

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, I have a 2020 Sonata SEL, 2.5 liter and live in NY. I first e-mailed HyundaiUSA and they wrote back advising me to contact my local dealer. I e-mailed the service manager at the dealer the car was purchased at and he said use 0w-5 at 7500 intervals. I e-mail a second dealership owned by the same company and he advised to use 5w-30 at 3750 mi intervals. In all my e-mails I advised them that my main concern was not voiding the warranty and using the best oil for the vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMO what's in the Owner's Manual trumps whatever someone at the dealership says.
If there's a bulletin that changes it I'd want to see it in writing on Hyundai letterhead.
After all that, I'd use full synth 5w-30 or 5w-40 every 5000 miles.
Agreed! "the Owner's Manual trumps whatever."

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
i think we need to get clarification on oil change intervals, and type. i know this has already been discussed, but there seems to be different answers depending on what dealer i spoke to. this applies to 1.6t engine. 2020 handbook says oci 6k. 2021 says 8k. when i called the dealers back in 2020, both said cars come with syn blend, and that is what they put back in. now, one dealer says the same thing, another dealer says there was a bulletin back in march(when we got our car) that put the intervals back to 6k for all years, and full synthetic. he also said what they put in is 5w-30. the other dealer, where we got the car, is smaller. the tech/adviser i spoke to said they have not yet serviced any 2021(or maybe he said any 1.6t) cars, and he would check with his tech. while i dont care for the dealer that told me full synthetic, 5w-30, i would take my car there for the free service, otherwise, i just take it to a local independent. which i have already done, twice. of course, calling hyundai customer service does nothing, all they say is ask my local dealer. when i tell them what the 2 dealers said, all i get is , "huh?" so, if anyone else calls their dealer, post back here what is said.
Use "full" synthetic 5w30/40 and change that oil every 4K.
2nd Most Important is never-ever letting the dipstick oil-level fall below a half-quart low.

You can thank me in many years ahead.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited
120 Posts
Use "full" synthetic 5w30/40 and change that oil every 4K.
2nd Most Important is never-ever letting the dipstick oil-level fall below a half-quart low.

You can thank me in many years ahead.
Follow the owners manual! xW40 is NOT a recommended oil for the 2020 Sonata Limited.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is going WAAAY off track. all i am concerned about is service interval(6 or 8k), and oil(blend or synthetic). so i guess what i find out, i just keep it to myself

·
Registered
2020 Sonata Limited
120 Posts
this is going WAAAY off track. all i am concerned about is service interval(6 or 8k), and oil(blend or synthetic). so i guess what i find out, i just keep it to myself
The starting point is the owners manual for 2020. Then the question is whether there is valid, reliable information that the data in the owners manual has changed FOR THE 2020 MODEL.
I have not been able to find any information I consider valid and reliable that the information in the owners manual has been updated or superceded by Hyundai.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yes, intervals for the 2020 and 2021 have changed, as has the oil grade and types recommended.

The automaker will give you the best **** MPG and save the environment using the least amount of petro resources possible... no matter how many engines they have to replace.

Has anything changed with the 1.6T used in 2020 when compared to 2021?
Has anything changed with the 2.5GDI used in 2020 when compared to 2021?

There is no need for clarification. Automakers market vehicles and make recommendations and use scare tactics.

As such, do whatever you want. You reap what you sow.

My recommendation is full synthetic oil. My recommendation is a grade above what is listed for best fuel economy. My recommendation is to follow the severe service intervals. Otherwise, don't bother buying Hyundai. Its a great car to lease.

Reactions: pob579

·
Registered
279 Posts
5w- can use petroleum base. 0- is true synthetic base. 5w-30 petroleum cannot compare to synthetic. google million mile bmw
Anything can be anything unless you've very specific oil basestock group info that even data sheets don't contain .

Plenty of 5W... Ester racing marketed oils about.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't always listen to manufacturer oil recommendedations .

They say use Shell , use Castrol , put supermarket oil in , the engine didn't notice the difference in flavour .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GL and I’ve never owned a car where the crankcase looks so dirty after Every (synthetic) oil change, so frustratin!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer uses 0W20Mobil Synthetic for my 2020 Limited, every 5K. You can get it less than half the price the dealer charges from Walmart. The service advisor told me to bring my own oil, no problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer uses 0W20Mobil Synthetic for my 2020 Limited, every 5K. You can get it less than half the price the dealer charges from Walmart. The service advisor told me to bring my own oil, no problem.
Update: I checked my records and had oil changed first time at 5K. Next recommended change at 12500, so it must be 7500 between changes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts