Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm currently girding my loins to attempt an oil change on my 2011 ix20 and thought I'd share the info I've found re the required torque settings. The filter needs to be torqued to 15Nm and the sump plug to 44Nm. These are at the upper end of the range, so wouldn't recommend going the quarter turn beyond these that my Dad always used to advise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do

drain plug: 30Nm (+ new washer that comes with the new oil filter)
oil filter cap: 25 Nm ( + replace all orings that comes with the new oil filter)

Still going strong. :)

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
I've worked at a couple dealerships and independent shops. Had my own business for almost 30 years before retiring this past year. I never used a torque wrench and never seen any tech use one on either the plug or filter.

There's plenty of specs that are best served with gravy.

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,608 Posts
Jeez, I've heard it all now. A couple of grease monkeys criticizing folk for trying to do the job right.

You guys might have years of experience and have a feel for when something is torqued just right, but novices don't. Better for them to use a torque wrench and tighten it to the manufactures published specs than leave a sump plug loose and wreck an engine. And they wont over torque anything using a torque wrench either which is something a lot of you grease monkeys are guilty of.

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
Jeez, I've heard it all now. A couple of grease monkeys criticizing folk for trying to do the job right.

You guys might have years of experience and have a feel for when something is torqued just right, but novices don't. Better for them to use a torque wrench and tighten it to the manufactures published specs than leave a sump plug loose and wreck an engine. And they wont over torque anything using a torque wrench either which is something a lot of you grease monkeys are guilty of.
All I can say is........never mind,,,,,I'm done here...:grin2:
On second thought.....What novices have torque wrenches?

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Harsh words
Well, I think you telling someone they shouldn't be doing the job just because they use the correct tool is harsh.

When the manufacturer publishes a torque spec for something the only way to know you've tightened the fastener, drain plug, or whatever to that spec is to use a torque wrench. That's doing the job properly in my book, so I say well done @ruud1boy/@jert1234 for taking the time to look up the data and do the job right.

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
Well, I think you telling someone they shouldn't be doing the job just because they use the correct tool is harsh.

When the manufacturer publishes a torque spec for something the only way to know you've tightened the fastener, drain plug, or whatever to that spec is to use a torque wrench. That's doing the job properly in my book, so I say well @ruud1boy/@jert1234 for taking the time to look up the data and do the job right.
So you torque everything...you must or you are doing it wrong.....BTW how do you torque a filter?

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Whether I do the job wrong or not has nothing to do with it. You should encourage other folk to do the job right regardless of how you (or I) choose to do it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
.....BTW how do you torque a filter?

There are filter wrench sockets that you use with a socket wrench. I would have thought an expert like you would know this.

For the record, I generally only use torque wrenches for the things that really need it, but then I have many years of experience and have a good feel for how much to tighten most things. However, I am no longer amazed at how many people don't and end up snapping bolts. Maybe the OP will develop a feel for it too. Until then, he is doing it the safe way and I see no shame or fault in that.

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
There are filter wrench sockets that you use with a socket wrench. I would have thought an expert like you would know this.

Wrong....it's a ratchet style filter wrench...not to be used with a torque wrench.....If you were to use a torque wrench......not one person ever has since the first Ford model T rolled off the line.....tell me this all mighty master tech....What would the actual number be to account for the fit? You know what I'm talking about, don't you? Come on....the fit....like if you need to use an extension.....still don't understand.....

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Don't you wish you could say the same.

For the record, I generally only use torque wrenches for the things that really need it,

What would that be....

but then I have many years of experience

In cat years...maybe a couple...

and have a good feel for how much to tighten most things. However, I am no longer amazed at how many people don't and end up snapping bolts.

You should be amazed more.....that could be the problem....usually amazing things are good for learning....you need to be amazed more often.

Maybe the OP will develop a feel for it too. Until then, he is doing it the safe way and I see no shame or fault in that.
Believe me...I'm not trying to be smart with you because then we would have nothing in common.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Believe me...I'm not trying to be smart with you because then we would have nothing in common.

Okay. I came here to learn and to help, not to argue with someone who jumps into all the posts, even when he can't or won't help.
There's no need for insults and personal attacks.

I'm out of here. Enjoy...

·
Banned
7,038 Posts
Okay. I came here to learn and to help, not to argue with someone who jumps into all the posts, even when he can't or won't help.
There's no need for insults and personal attacks.

I'm out of here. Enjoy...
Why didn't you answer my questions? They are RELEVANT. Need to know how to adjust the 'FIT NUMBERS' into the OEM specs. If you don't....the OP will not have the correct information and will not be doing it right. I thought this was about giving them the PROPER information to do the job.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Wow this is getting out of control. I apologise for my comment. I assume this is a cartridge oil filter and it probably has the torque spec written on the cap. Follow that to get the feel experience. It's this type that I have found dealer workshops to overtighten excessively and I mean excessive. Because they use an O ring they really don't need to be tightened at all but that would be a stupid thing to leave it loose so following a torque spec for a novice is a good idea. Make sure you lubricate the new O ring with oil. Pay particular attention where the O ring is. I have found many have another groove which is not the right one. Then again if it's a spin on I'm talking through my hat.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I agree a novice should use a torque wrench for the drain plug...I've heard of many kids helping dad and stripping the threads. About the spin-on filter...if you hand tighten I doubt anyone could strip it! 3/4 turn after gasket contact. :nerd:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I don't think it has a spin on filter. At least not by my listing. If it is cartridge type it's most likely 25Nm. It will be written on the cap. I have had some issues getting spin on filters off when some ahole gorilla has tightened then up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts