Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 santa fe 3.3l awd. Is it possible to fill the oil from the oil filter housing rather than the obvious crankcase fill port? I find that the funnel is not stable enough to stay on the fill port. Most of the time I have to hold on to the funnel and the 5 liter jug. It is tiring when the oil flows slowly. I mean can I fill 5 liters through the housing and then put the filter on afterward. At least, I only have to fill very little oil through the fill port.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You can pour oil via the filter canister.. kinda slow though..

Put the filter in, cap it.. with the silly engine top decoration cover bolted in place, use the top off a 1qt oil bottle as a funnel.. it'll sit somewhat supported in th cover' opening if you sit it right

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
you just need a bit of pouring practice. after a bit you won't even need a funnel :)

after a while once your aim gets good you can even pee on a saucer from 10' across the garage while standing on one foot singing queen songs!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
He's talking about having problems with the funnel staying in place when he fills up from the top.
But you don't need a funnel to fill through the fill cap on top - just pour at a steady pace - it's a big enough target to aim at!

A funnel is only needed for tiny holes like the ATF filler tube or a side-mounted filler like the rear diff housing.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
But you don't need a funnel to fill through the fill cap on top - just pour at a steady pace - it's a big enough target to aim at!
Key point per the OP
...5 liter jug...
If he were using 1 liter bottles, yes, it would be a piece of cake. But when you're starting with a full 5 liter jug (or in our case, a full 1 gallon jug), it's not quite as easy to hit the mark the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts