Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Suppose to replace that crush washer each time, shop manual says 25 ft.-lbs, I just go by feel.

Seems like 15 ft. lbs it is darn tight, those extra 10 are just over stressing those threads. But this is me, not you. Never lost a drop and tend to coat those threads very thin with Permatex non-hardening gasket maker with a tad on both sides of that washer.

Ha, could also use my 550 ft.-lb impact wrench like what some shops use.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Same here, by feel. About 25ft lbs. I was taught to snug, then a "hand bump". Same when loosening, should just take a sharp hand bump to break it loose. Remember, there is no oil pressure in the pan.

·
Registered
982 Posts
+1 for tightening by feel. But if you're having someone else change your oil, ask them to tighten to no more than 25 ft-lbs.

Reactions: flemmons

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Shop manual drain plug torque spec is actually "34.3 ~ 44.1 N.m (3.5 ~ 4.5 kgf.m, 25.3 ~ 32.5 lb-ft)"

The oil filter torque spec is "11.8 ~ 15.7 N.m (1.2 ~ 1.6 kgf.m, 8.7 ~ 11.6 lb-ft)", but if you tightened it this much, not only flattens that O'ring but that metal retainer ring that holds it and may never get it off. And with that retainer ring distorted, may end up with oil leaks. So far better off to go by feel.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Make sure you know your audience when telling them to tighten by "feel". Guy wanted to know how tight to go on the lug nuts. Told him if he didn't have a torque wrench to tighten to contact, continue to "snug", then go 1/4 to 1/2 turn. It would get him home safely, then check with a torque wrench.

He snapped off a stud on two of four wheels. Use a breakaway torque wrench and determined he had tightened to about 200-225 ftlbs.

Snug, indeed.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Make sure you know your audience when telling them to tighten by "feel". Guy wanted to know how tight to go on the lug nuts. Told him if he didn't have a torque wrench to tighten to contact, continue to "snug", then go 1/4 to 1/2 turn. It would get him home safely, then check with a torque wrench.

He snapped off a stud on two of four wheels. Use a breakaway torque wrench and determined he had tightened to about 200-225 ftlbs.

Snug, indeed.
Darn good point when you been doing this for over 60 years with a person that never touched a wrench before. With bolts, they have to be cleaned and lubricated. I stick with my torque wrench on lug nuts. 94 ft.-lbs on the Elantra.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have a pre-set torque wrench I found in a new Prius during PDI in my Toyota days..

I bought a 17mm 6pt impact socket at LOWES and put it on the wrench.. it clicks rough 35 lb-ft.. I gave it to the oil change kids one day to use just to mess with the Quick Lube fella that come in to watch them and see that they was following set guidelines for Quick Lube

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Been using Fumoto valves on every car for the last 30 years. Tighten it once to 25 lb/ft and never worry about it. :wink:
EZ Flow Valve installed on my Elantra said to use a Cresent wrench to tighten. Always did drain plugs with my calibrated arm. Same with oil filter.

Brake/suspension bolts, lug nuts, and sparks plugs get a torque wrench.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Snug, indeed.
Good point. Aluminum pan + steel drain bolt can equal a pan missing threads if their "feel" is way over what we would consider snug

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just tighten the plug about 1/4 turn... The filter, I hand tighten by feel.
The filter is not done by feel. The instructions for a filter are quite clear, and are written on the box: Tighten by hand only, 3/4 to 1 full turn after gasket contacts base.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The filter is not done by feel. The instructions for a filter are quite clear, and are written on the box: Tighten by hand only, 3/4 to 1 full turn after gasket contacts base.
That's what I did... Tighten by hand.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Since I change oil parked I use cap wrench with extension to tighten filter. It is doing by feel. I can feel when it is snug or "just right". After changing oil and filters over 100 times you just know. The main thing is being focused/taking your time.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Thumb and index finger get a bit of oil on the tips when removing the drain plug, that comes first. But hand gets soaked with oil removing the filter so go down with at least 6 full size Bounty paper towels, to wipe my hands off and clean up any mess.

The new filter is already oiled on the ring, ready to put on, then the drain plug. Have a cushioned creeper, very comfortable, ha, take a short nap, then I am done under there.

Bit spoiled with cartridge type filters, has a cap, but remove the drain plug first, all the oil leaks down, this is done the top of the engine, so hands stay clean, but have to go down the second time for the drain plug.

Dish washing soap that cuts grease gets my hands clean again. Not nearly as bad as my Supra with a screw on filter, have to turn it sideways where all the oil spills out, a lot more to clean, only way to get it out.

I do not like to think about changing oil filters 8 hours a day, really a messy job. Do use a funnel for the new oil, pour in 4 quarts, start the engine, take it off the ramps, let it sit for a bit, then top it off to the full mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reading these posts: Why bother changing your oil yourself? No one will give your car the proper care better than yourself. This applies to EVERYTHING in life. To most people you're a money making opportunity.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts