Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been changing my oil every 3k miles. But looking at myhyundai account with severe driving picked and average 1k miles a month. It is suggesting oil change every 5k miles. Would it be okay to go the 5k miles during the warm season and back to 3k miles during the cold season?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Any synthetic 5w40 motor oil should have no problem going <5000 miles or <6months, whichever comes 1st. Just remember to check oil level weekly and keep it to the full dot.

Reactions: Stephen Salyer

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any synthetic 5w40 motor oil should have no problem going <5000 miles or <6months, whichever comes 1st. Just remember to check oil level weekly and keep it to the full dot.
Pretty sure you mean 5w20.

I change mine at 5K year round.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Pretty sure you mean 5w20.

I change mine at 5K year round.
No, I mean 5w40 because the thread starter has a 2.0T.

And, I wouldn't even use a 5w20 in my 2.4GDI.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
Im in a 2017 2.0T and drive 30,000 + a year.
According to what I read in the owners / service manual and what my dealer wants is 5,000 mile oil and filter with synthetic. If i drove less they would say 7,500 miles between changes.

My 2012 1.8l Turbo MBZ C250 was 10,000 miles with synthetic and the newer 2014 to now are 20,000 miles oil and filter with Mobil1 all MBZ and I believe that BMW is at 20,000 and my Infiniti were 7500 miles with synthetic back in 2010

With synthetic there is no reason that we should have to change every 5000 other than the manufacturer calls for it to maintain the warranty probably because of the past history of engine failures.

documented changes every 5000 with a quality synthetic and filter will cover you for warranty

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ever heard of the saying "Oil is cheap engines aren't" I follow this rule of thumb for all engines and cars. I have the 2.0T and I change the oil myself every 2,500 miles. Even though the manual recommends every 3,000 miles.

Reactions: rts1676

·
Registered
144 Posts
6000 km or 6 months........(Sonata Canadian manual shows 12,000 km 12 months) Cheers p

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
you did not mention where you llve. the response will differ between Canada and Florida as to what your interval should be, the type of driving you do etc., Short trips,cold winters = shorter intervals, highway driving, warmer climate one can easily go 5000 + miles between changes. In today's world with today's engines and oils, IMO 5000 mile intervals and the engine will outlast the rest of the vehicle by a wide margin.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
you did not mention where you llve. the response will differ between Canada and Florida as to what your interval should be, the type of driving you do etc., Short trips,cold winters = shorter intervals, highway driving, warmer climate one can easily go 5000 + miles between changes. In today's world with today's engines and oils, IMO 5000 mile intervals and the engine will outlast the rest of the vehicle by a wide margin.
Since he mentions a Canadian manual and 6000km (3728.2mi), your comments are mostly pointless! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Except for the type of driving he does. However, thank you for pointing that out!!!!!!!!
He doesn't mention it, but...OCI says "severe/cautious"! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Since he mentions a Canadian manual and 6000km (3728.2mi), your comments are mostly pointless! :rolleyes:
Are you looking at the original thread started by Stephen Salyer, he never mentions km or where he lives etc and he has not replied to any posts other than to start the thread! You are assuming he lives in Canada as other posts refer to it

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Ohio. I do a lot of short trips but the car always gets fully warmed up and driven for 5 minutes fully warmed up. Other than that. A lot of highway miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ever heard of the saying "Oil is cheap engines aren't" I follow this rule of thumb for all engines and cars. I have the 2.0T and I change the oil myself every 2,500 miles. Even though the manual recommends every 3,000 miles.

Wow. You are a marketers dream. 2500 miles may make you and the auto parts vendor fell good but your car doesn’t know the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Are you looking at the original thread started by Stephen Salyer, he never mentions km or where he lives etc and he has not replied to any posts other than to start the thread! You are assuming he lives in Canada as other posts refer to it
6000 km or 6 months........(Sonata Canadian manual shows 12,000 km 12 months) Cheers p
Since you did not quote Stephen, and your comment was directly after Paul J.H...you can guess the rest? :whistling:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Clarification - the "Canadian" manual show ever 12 months / 12,000 km, it was the "dealer" who crossed this out and wrote in 6 / 6 and that's what I do.....Cheers p

·
Registered
144 Posts
My dealer says 3750 for sever conditions, they change it every 3000. It's cheaper to change oil than an engine....I know my dealer is using a synthetic blend and I can push it, I do know this if I have any engine problems I will have no problem getting it warrantied since they do all the work ahead of schedule.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts