Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the interval everyone is changing their oil? Owners manual says every 7500 miles but dealer says it should be every 3500-4000 or so...basically an extra in between every Hyundai Maint reco

·
Registered
870 Posts
The dealership is only trying to increase revenue by more frequent useless oil changes. I suggest you follow the manual. I'm doing less miles now, working closer to home. I'm changing my oil at around 5000 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put a lot of miles on my car, a 2010 Accent, with almost 50K on it. I chose to change more often than the manual says, but not as often as the dealership wants me to. So every 5K I roll in for an oil, and filter, change.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I change my Elantra and Sonata's oil both around 7,000 miles. If you aren't sure if you want to go that long...go to 5,000 and then send a sample to get analyzed. That's what I did and found I could easily go to 7,500 miles between changes. Browse over to the Sonata forum. There is a Oil analysis sticky thread that we've put up some of the results that we have gotten back. I have two up there. One for my Sonata and the other for the Elantra.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I use full synthetic oil and did my first few oil changes early but now I'm at 6 mo or 7500 whatever comes first. Factory filters. Follow the owners manual and you will be fine.
I agree with Someguy. Use the Hyundai OEM filters. They are built very well. If your dealership doesn't give you a good price on them check e-bay. You can normally get a case of them for a good price. I get mine from the dealership for $4.67 each but they give me a discount due to who I work for.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What is the interval everyone is changing their oil? Owners manual says every 7500 miles but dealer says it should be every 3500-4000 or so...basically an extra in between every Hyundai Maint reco
My dealer said the same thing, but I'm following the manual for my driving style, which is normal. 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My dealer here puts 6000 km, 8000 km with synthetic. The service man suggested against going synthetic (because not worth it).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I live in very dry and very dusty Las Vegas, NV and I get it changed every 5k in miles. Once I move back to humid Texas it'll be 7500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you go to your dealer for oil changes and service? I have an auto shop I like, but I'm guessing that I'd have to go back to the dealer to get any warranty-covered repairs done. (Sorry, newbie owner here.)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Do you go to your dealer for oil changes and service? I have an auto shop I like, but I'm guessing that I'd have to go back to the dealer to get any warranty-covered repairs done. (Sorry, newbie owner here.)
:00000732: and yes, for warranty repairs, head to the dealer. Other stuff, you can get done wherever you like, just make sure you hold on to your receipt.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I asked my dealer the same thing yesterday because on the sticker they give me 3k intervals. He said the manual says 7500 mile interval due to some energy act in California. I have lifetime oil changes at the dealer and the guy said every 3k is fine too, esp since I have the lifetime oil changes. So 7500, 3500, 3000 is all fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer says every 3750 miles. I feel that an extra oil change @ $39.00 isn't hurting anything. I know... We could argue about this all day, but it can't hurt. BMW's have sludge issues, VW's have sludge issues, and several other makes do as well... I feel it's cheap insurance...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts