Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Synthetic oil can get "dirty" and abrasive just like conventional under severe conditions.
IMO it's a fools errand to extend change intervals unless you do only high speed cruising.
Just to update everyone. I decided to change oil every 3,300-3,500 miles instead of the 5,000 that I stated earlier just to be safe. It's more difficult in the cold months since my garage is not heated but doing it myself only costs about $22 with QS synthetic and a hyundai filter.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a package at the dealer $95 for 4 oil changes & all inspections using Hyundai filters and Quaker state synthetic blend. Have done changes at 1000 mi (breakin) then 4600 now at 8200 mi this week when was going to hit the 6 month mark, so at slightly under 3750 severe service intervals. At all times they slightly overfill the oil despite me making a big deal this week to please NOT OVERFILL the oil (said they use the 5.04 quart amount). The other thing that seems strange to me is right away the oil is already a tan overtone to it, not a dirty brown or black but not clear. When I have my Camry oil change using spec'd 0W20 full synthetic the oil stays so clear for 1000 mi I can hardly see it on the dipstick. I measured my Santa Fe today 150 mi after the change on Monday and it's 14/32s over the F small hole, and you can see in this photo it's tan. The last change it was tan as well and stayed that way for the interval, never got black like my 07 Grand Cherokee did. Maybe QS synthetic blend has this tone, or maybe a GDI engine just discolors the oil right away. At least the oil level doesn't seem to increase like some have noted due to gasoline infiltration.
IMG_20191115_131109618.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am a diy guy for most oil changes ...
  • At 3750, oil color should not be black.
  • Oil color varies from different brands.
  • It is normal for a slight over fill because the shops checks after refill and u check it in the morning (?). For the 2.0T engine, I just dump the entire 5L jug, don't bother the check.
  • For the 2.0T, there will be oil dilution, it is the unfortunate side effect from the high pressure fuel delivery system. The severity is a function of your daily trip duration, the longer the trip, the more gas will burn off, the less oil level increase.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When my dealer did the first oil change on my 2019 2.4L the oil was overfilled about 1/2 inch. The oil they use is QS Conventional oil 5-20W. Plus, they broke two of the push pins holding the bottom engine cover. The Service Manage just laughed off my concerns about the over-fill...said as soon as the engine starts the level will drop. Needless to say I am not going back to them.

I went to the Quaker State website and did a search for the proper oil for my engine...it came back with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 Full Synthetic. That's what I have been using. I also found out they have an extended warranty program that is better than the Hyundai engine warranty if you use their oil. I signed up and have been keeping my records updated on their web site. Check it out: Quaker State Warranty Program Details

·
Registered
599 Posts
A lot of shops over-fill oil; same ones over-inflate tires.
Trying to make up for owners who never check these tings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a package at the dealer $95 for 4 oil changes & all inspections using Hyundai filters and Quaker state synthetic blend. Have done changes at 1000 mi (breakin) then 4600 now at 8200 mi this week when was going to hit the 6 month mark, so at slightly under 3750 severe service intervals. At all times they slightly overfill the oil despite me making a big deal this week to please NOT OVERFILL the oil (said they use the 5.04 quart amount). The other thing that seems strange to me is right away the oil is already a tan overtone to it, not a dirty brown or black but not clear. When I have my Camry oil change using spec'd 0W20 full synthetic the oil stays so clear for 1000 mi I can hardly see it on the dipstick. I measured my Santa Fe today 150 mi after the change on Monday and it's 14/32s over the F small hole, and you can see in this photo it's tan. The last change it was tan as well and stayed that way for the interval, never got black like my 07 Grand Cherokee did. Maybe QS synthetic blend has this tone, or maybe a GDI engine just discolors the oil right away. At least the oil level doesn't seem to increase like some have noted due to gasoline infiltration.
View attachment 442687
View attachment 442687
You may be getting semi synthetic oil rather than full synthetic, ask your dealer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You may be getting semi synthetic oil rather than full synthetic, ask your dealer.
All the dealer oil change guy will say is it's "a QS synthetic blend" so you're correct at that price not full synthetic. They are probably feeding it from a 50 gal drum or more so it may not quite be this, all that QS shows on their website https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/products/blends-and-conventional-motor-oils/quaker-state-defy-high-mileage.html

I did sign up for the QS 300,000 mi 10 year engine warranty program since I anticipate doing oil changes at the dealer with a paper trail just not sure how much I'd gain vs Hyundai's own 10/100k warranty. Hopefully won't need either paying attention to severe service oil changes. Perhaps I will ask dealer when my first 4 change package runs out how much they want for full synthetic but not sure it's worth it if I don't gain less frequent changes to keep Hyundai warranty in play (eg, Toyota specifies full synthetic usually $60 specials at dealer but 10,000 mis).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Kind of brings up the question if Hyundai had used a full synthetic oil in their engines from the get-go maybe they wouldn't have had so much bearing trouble leading to engine replacements. My two previous cars were VW's and they always used a full synthetic oil and specified 10,000 mile oil changes. I haven't heard of another car manufacturer having so many engines with main bearing failures...you would have thought they would have figured it out by now....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did my 2nd oil change today. I didn’t add any oil in the past 5k miles, and the old oil didn’t look that dirty. Using Quaker State full synthetic with a Hyundai oil filter.

Still holding off doing the 953 recall until more mileage reports come in. I really don’t want Hyundai screwing up my engine...it runs just fine now with very good mileage. Having the engine go into Limp mode 100’s of miles from home isn’t an option I will except .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I have seen multiple mentions about an app called myhyundai. I could not find this in the Apple App store. Is it a US app only ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Kind of brings up the question if Hyundai had used a full synthetic oil in their engines from the get-go maybe they wouldn't have had so much bearing trouble leading to engine replacements. My two previous cars were VW's and they always used a full synthetic oil and specified 10,000 mile oil changes. I haven't heard of another car manufacturer having so many engines with main bearing failures...you would have thought they would have figured it out by now....
I contacted Quaker State a while ago - - and they do use synthetic in ALL Hyundai and Kia engines in North America.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts