Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2019 Santa Fe. When I logged into “MyHyundai” it shows oil change is due in approx 7400 miles, for a 7500 mile interval. When I click “view full timeline” it shows automatically that my driving conditions are severe and only shows the schedule for severe conditions or 3750 mile service interval. That wouldn’t be terrible but every 7500 miles it says the service is going to cost $92.85! And then the 15k mile is $122 and the 30k is $374.80. This is ridiculous! Is this really what they charge to keep within warranty??

Ok so my question is, why am I automatically on the severe category? I tried to click “manage my driving habits” and none of the severe qualifiers I needed to click. I drive mostly highway and only in the city to get back home off the highway and there are very few redlights. I called my dealer service department and they said I needed to use the severe schedule Otherwise they could potentially not honor a warranty claim.

Also I want to bring my own oil, I like to use mobil 1 full synthetic oil in my cars, I called and they said this is ok but they could deny warranty because It’s going to say I brought my own oil. What kind of nonsense is that? Any truth to it?They charge $18 for labor and $8 for a Hyundai oil filter which I will probably use because they aren’t too bad.

The manual states the 2019 Santa Fe takes 5.07 quarts. Will one 5 quart jug be enough or are they going to be super picky and make me bring an extra quart to use that other .07 quarts? I’ve never had a car take the required amount of oil stated in the manual. It’s always a little less and the dipstick shows full so I feel like 5 quarts would probably fill this car up perfectly. What do you guys think? I don’t want to use the garbage bulk oil they have, and pay for synthetic and end up getting a blend of different brands or even Dino oil which has happened to me before. I like to know exactly what’s in my car. I usually change my own oil in my garage but I want to be sure Hyundai records it for warranty. so I don’t mind paying the labor fee.

Thanks everyone. And sorry if this has been discussed before, maybe it has and my searching skills are bad!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mine shows the same way. Below the initial timeline (0 - 37,500 miles), it says "Based on your driving habits, your vehicle maintenance interval is 7,500 miles". Yet if I click on "View Full Timeline", it shows the Driving Conditions as Severe. By no small coincidence, the Dealer's name and pricing for the severe mileage maintenance costs are shown. I think the dealer sets this up, because in their eyes, there is no such thing as Normal conditions.

The fact that the Manage Driving Habits questionnaire (answered honestly) comes up with Normal, and that schedule is adhered to, should protect the warranty for the owner of the car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just got a 2019 Santa Fe. When I logged into “MyHyundai” it shows oil change is due in approx 7400 miles, for a 7500 mile interval. When I click “view full timeline” it shows automatically that my driving conditions are severe and only shows the schedule for severe conditions or 3750 mile service interval. That wouldn’t be terrible but every 7500 miles it says the service is going to cost $92.85! And then the 15k mile is $122 and the 30k is $374.80. This is ridiculous! Is this really what they charge to keep within warranty??

Ok so my question is, why am I automatically on the severe category? I tried to click “manage my driving habits” and none of the severe qualifiers I needed to click. I drive mostly highway and only in the city to get back home off the highway and there are very few redlights. I called my dealer service department and they said I needed to use the severe schedule Otherwise they could potentially not honor a warranty claim.

Also I want to bring my own oil, I like to use mobil 1 full synthetic oil in my cars, I called and they said this is ok but they could deny warranty because It’s going to say I brought my own oil. What kind of nonsense is that? Any truth to it?They charge $18 for labor and $8 for a Hyundai oil filter which I will probably use because they aren’t too bad.

The manual states the 2019 Santa Fe takes 5.07 quarts. Will one 5 quart jug be enough or are they going to be super picky and make me bring an extra quart to use that other .07 quarts? I’ve never had a car take the required amount of oil stated in the manual. It’s always a little less and the dipstick shows full so I feel like 5 quarts would probably fill this car up perfectly. What do you guys think? I don’t want to use the garbage bulk oil they have, and pay for synthetic and end up getting a blend of different brands or even Dino oil which has happened to me before. I like to know exactly what’s in my car. I usually change my own oil in my garage but I want to be sure Hyundai records it for warranty. so I don’t mind paying the labor fee.

Thanks everyone. And sorry if this has been discussed before, maybe it has and my searching skills are bad!
This is a really good question.

I noticed the manual says quaker state oil is recommended.
That's what I use (full synthetic) and I changed my own at 600 miles break in.

I plan on changing my own at 5,000. I keep my receipts and I log into my Hyundai and enter the service when I do it.

It may be an issue with warranty but I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This is a really good question.

I noticed the manual says quaker state oil is recommended.
That's what I use (full synthetic) and I changed my own at 600 miles break in.

I plan on changing my own at 5,000. I keep my receipts and I log into my Hyundai and enter the service when I do it.

It may be an issue with warranty but I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take.
That was my idea, just change it at 5k miles or every 6 months. I’m going to be bringing my own jug of oil to the dealer. I wonder if 5 quarts will be enough. It says 5.07 in the manual. Surely 5 quarts will get it full? I’d hate to have the extra expense of buying an extra quart each oil change just to use a capful of it. If I were going to change my own oil, I’d keep receipts for everything I bought for the oil change and also document in a log book of some sort. By law you have the right to perform the oil change yourself and keep the warranty but you definitely want proof. Personally I spent too much on the car to potentially have a “misunderstanding” when something fails. But I also don’t want to use the dealers crappy bulk oil either.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh and take images of receipts or save them as a pdf. I saved an amazon receipt for 3 filters and then attach them in the my hyundai service log when you enter the info.

Makes it nice and easy for reference and proof

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dealer told me that since we are in Minnesota (I just moved from California) the climate justifies the severe schedule due to the extreme temperatures. So while it might be convenient to subscribe to the theory that every dealer just sets it there, geography should be the main driver.

That being said, my Ultimate is garaged everywhere I go and it's mostly freeway miles, so Im not gonna follow the severe schedule to a T.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can’t find this “view full timeline” link. Where is it and where does it show cost?

On the opening screen after logging in to the MyHundai site (US) , click View Details. This should present a timeline for the first 37,500 miles. Above the 37,500 mark should be a link to View Full Timeline. On the screen the link takes you to, click Show me the Details. On the grid that comes up are the Dealer's pricing for those services.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You can adjust your driving style and road conditions by changing Manage driving habits it is found below and to the right of recommended maint. timeline
that will change your maint. a schedule that reflects actual conditions

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can adjust your driving style and road conditions by changing Manage driving habits it is found below and to the right of recommended maint. timeline

Oddly, if you use Manage Driving Habits and change your driving to Normal (7,5000 schedule), the initial 37,500 mile timeline reflects this change. If you then navigate to the full timeline, it still shows the Severe (3,750 mile) schedule.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I asked the salesman about maintenance during a test drive he stated that since it’s Minnesota they just assume a severe schedule. Never mind that I drive 85% highway miles.

Our 2013 Highlander factory recommended service is every 10k miles with full synthetic.

Would the warranty be voided if we don’t adhere to the severe schedule?

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you are used to and able to perform the required maintenance, there is no reason why you cannot continue to do so. Buy genuine Hyundai filters and any parts you may require (crush washers, "O" rings etc.) to avoid warranty issues relating to non OEM parts. You can use the oil of your choice, if it meets Hyundai specs. Take copies of everything you buy in this regard, including any special tools required to do the work (torque wrench etc.).Take pictures of every step of your work, including pictures of the oil, and oil filter you are using. pictures of the oil draining, filter removal, filter installation, drain plug installation and installing the fresh oil. The schedule may call for other inspections or checks, photograph what you checked and inspected. Take a picture of the drained oil as well. If possible enter these into your service record on line as well as a copies for yourself, print off copies of what you have entered in the online service record each time you enter something. (The dealer may be able to edit what you have entered).

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was a bit surprised to see the 2.0T in severe condition table the oil change is only 5000km..

I will have thought it would have been 7000km and normal 10,000km

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in an area that sees maybe one day of snow a year if we are lucky. I always drive highway miles for the exception of getting back into town to come home. I live in a small town and even coming home there is no stop and go. The only time I stop is at 3 stop signs and then whenever I get to work or home to park. My dealer is about 40 minutes away and I’d honestly rather not use them for service but the service manager told me I’d be denied a warranty claim if they weren’t able to do the “severe” schedule maintenance inspections. Those are every 7500 miles and are $92 dollars along with an oil change using crappy Dino oil and the 15k mile one is the air filter so it’s over $100. I’ve started saving my fuel receipts too so they don’t try to claim I haven’t been using top tier fuel. I use Mobil or Shell fuel so I don’t need to use an additive. I feel like this is a cash grab. I’ve owned a Toyota and a Honda and they aren’t nearly as pushy about severe schedule stuff or making me use them to honor the warranty. Is this because the engine is poorly designed or something, surely a 2019 car can go 7500 miles on mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance oil going 90% highway miles. Below are pictures of the maintenance schedule I’m told I have to follow and prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The default for Myhundai is severe for maintenance. BIG deal just change it to your driving style

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The default for Myhundai is severe for maintenance. BIG deal just change it to your driving style

I have done that. But when I try to see the full schedule (timeline) or make an appointment it defaults to severe. My dealership also says I have to use the severe schedule and I have to get it serviced my a Hyundai authorized service center otherwise if I have a warranty claim
They will deny it. 2 other dealerships a little further away told me the same thing over the phone. Hyundai 1800 number says they take the dealerships recommendations for warranty and I should follow their advice and offered no other help. Surely this is not legal? And they are just trying to scare me into coming in more often? I recorded the phone calls as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So is this the downside to the great 10/100k warranty? Too good to be true?

10k miles with full synthetic should be more than good for most vehicles unless you drive in a lot of heavy stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
When I asked the salesman about maintenance during a test drive he stated that since it’s Minnesota they just assume a severe schedule. Never mind that I drive 85% highway miles.

Our 2013 Highlander factory recommended service is every 10k miles with full synthetic.

Would the warranty be voided if we don’t adhere to the severe schedule?
There is no way the dealer can force you to adhere to the severe schedule. On the other hand, your presumption that you can change oil every 10,000 miles, even when you use synthetic, could well be challenged if you ever have an engine-related warranty claim. For this reason, I don’t even bother to use synthetic oil. I just change every 5,000 miles although I could go a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Between my wife and myself, we have owned 8 assorted Hyundai's since 2004 none of them required any warranty work. My dealer is 65 miles away and I do all my oil changes and basic maintenance. The dealer knows I do this and as long as I have proof of the purchase of the supplies said I won't have any problems. Major inspections at 30K and 60K are done at the dealer. OEM filters are cheap ($5.00) and I only use Mobil1 oil (5qt jug $23 at Walmart)

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I had my SF Sport 2.0T my dealer recommended an oil change every 3000 miles because of the heat generated by the turbo. They charged me less the 30 bucks for the oil & filter so it wasn't a big deal. With my new 2.4 Santa Fe they upped it to 7500 miles, but recommended a first change at 3000.

I have used synthetic oils in all of my other vehicles, but still do a change every 5000 miles. I run Mobil 1 0-20W in my '07 Tundra pulling a 8,000# RV in the Arizona heat with no problems in over 130k miles.

Before VW bought back my Jetta Sportwagen diesel, the oil was Castrol synthetic and the recommended change interval was 10,000 miles. They actually refused to change it one time when I brought it in before 10,000....said it was a waste of money. Go figure.....

The money VW gave me for my diesel put me into my first Hyundai...thank you VW!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts