Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing an oil catch can in our family's 2014 SF. It went pretty smoothly.

I used some 3/8" hose with some CCF pipe insulation. The PCV valve is a "loose" fitting 3/8" hose nipple and the connection on the intake plenum is a bit oversized. Probably closer to a 1/2" hose nipple. The OEM hose was pretty flexible compared to the thick walled hose I used. This flexible hose allowed for a good seal for the two different sized nipples.

Care must be taken if you use a thicker 3/8" hose during insulation of the plenum hose nipple. I was worried about breaking the nipple. I used some motor oil to help lubricate the hose during installation.

I trimmed about an inch from the 1/2" pipe insulation and then wrapped it with some 3M super 88. This helped save some space.

The oil catch can that I used: MISHIMOTO COMPACT BAFFLED OIL CATCH CAN. MODEL: MMBCC-MSTWO

Overall I am pretty happy about the installation and hope it helps with any further carbon buildup on the intake valves.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks like a nice mod, but is this really needed/helpful on a 3.3L ? Not sure what engine I was looking at here on the LWB forum...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a nice mod, but is this really needed/helpful on a 3.3L ? Not sure what engine I was looking at here on the LWB forum...
There hasn't really been very many known issues with the 3.3L GDI's intake valves on these Santa Fe's that I know of. There is definitely a known problem with the design of GDI engines overall. The engineers are coming up with new ways to solve the issues caused by GDI engines.

This mod will surely help with any further carbon buildup issues on the intake valves. This should help with fuel ecomony, power, and prevent any valve buildup related misfires that may occur as the engine ages. I will also use CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve Cleaner before every other oil change. Plus I will use a high end synthetic oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And use top tier 91+ octane fuel, and change your oil according to the severe service schedule. I never put my transmission in ECO mode unless I am cruising on the interstate in the middle of nowhere, and the terrain is flat.

If you can find ethanol free super unleaded, it is worth the extra $$. I get 3-4 MPG increase using it.

And at least a couple times a month, do the Italian Tune Up!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts