Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the leaking front valve cover gasket replace by Hyundai twice under the campaign for that issue. Both times, there was a burning oil smell in the cabin. I assume this came from oil leaking onto the front exhaust manifold and burning.

The same, or a similar smell returned and we took it back to Hyundai dealer for a third replacement. Dealer said that the gasket was not leaking this time. They reported that the catalytic converter had a hole in it and the smell was coming from that source. The service manager suggested taking it to the nearby Midas shop because it would cost around half as much as the dealer cost??

Anyway, did that and smell went away. All good!

Now, two months later, the smell has returned.

I can't imagine that Midas did not do a complete check of the exhaust system when they replaced the catalytic converter. They did not identify any additional work required.

So, if it is not the exhaust system and, it is not the valve cover gasket, what could be causing the smell?

I am thinking maybe oil from some other source leaking onto the exhaust system and burning, but the oil was changed 7,000 km (4,400 mi) ago and the level is not down at all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or does anyone have any other ideas about what could be causing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If the catalytic converter was rusted out, there maybe more holes on the exhaust system. For DIYers I would recommend muriatic acid with steelstik or heat wrap.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks grandpaswagon and camper. I will investigate.

I forgot to mention that the smell comes in through the fresh air blower. I thought the fresh air pick-up would be just under the windshield, not under the engine hood or under the body.

Does anyone know where the fresh air is introduced?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Look around the windshield wipers at the base of the windshield. You will see slots where outside air is drawn in. This location is used because there is a high pressure area here, giving a slight ram-air effect.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you DSHornet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KayNgo87:

Isn't the air intake source for the cabin filter at the base of the windshield as DSHornet said?

Do you mean that air might be leaking from the engine compartment into the cabin through the cabin filter housing?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked a number of other forums and the most likely is the rear valve cover gasket. However, many references to PCV valve or leaking deteriorated (cracked) lines leading to PCV valve. Has anyone had experience with this?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the car to a trusted mechanic today.

He checked exhaust components, front and back valve cover gaskets, hose to PCV valve, and all other hoses. He could not find anything that was leaking oil or any other fluids.

He said that there is a very mild sweating at the power steering pump but it is nothing. I keep a close eye on all fluids and have not needed to top up any except washer fluid over quite an extended time period and number of miles.

I will carefully clean off the sweating power steering fluid and monitor that. But as I said, the power steering container is topped up and there is no measurable leaking.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for what might be causing this burning oil smell?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Has your serpentine belt ever been replaced? If it's 170,000 miles old, it could be slipping slightly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DSHornet:

Thanks, but it was just done at 167,000 miles.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
DSHornet:

Thanks, but it was just done at 167,000 miles.

Any other ideas?

Has the smell started since then? It could be a bad belt, a bad tensioner allowing slippage, or it could be misaligned so it's not riding in all the grooves on every pulley. Just an idea of something else to check.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WD-50:

Don't know, will ask the mechanic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DSHornet:

No the smell was there before the belt change.

However, the belt is clearly visible so I will check it for the possible defects that you mentioned.

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally found and fixed the problem.

Turns out it was a leak in the front flex pipe so, like last time when it was the catalytic converter, the smell was from the exhaust.

I guess from both these experiences, minor exhaust leaks can go un-noticed and un-diagnosed for quite some time until they become larger and more obvious.

Anyway, flex pipe replaced and smell in cabin is gone.

Now have 280,000km (174,000mi.), just replaced the power steering rack which seems reasonable at those miles.

Still loving this car and hoping to get 400,000km (250,000mi.) out of it.

Reactions: DSHornet

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The smell is back.

I have had two different mechanics check everything, but they are unable to locate the source of the smell.

Unfortunately, the smell is intermittent and they cannot duplicate. It seems to occur after a long drive (engine well heated) when idling at a traffic light. But, since it is intermittent no one has been able to isolate the cause.

All fluid levels are holding steady, so it is unlikely fluid leaking onto hot engine or exhaust.

I have not had the PCV valve or hoses replaced, so will check into that possibility.

Anyone have any other ideas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Valve Cover Gasket Again, Again, Again, Again.

Well, my mechanic tells me that the burning oil smell is again caused by the leaking front valve cover gasket.

I made an appointment with the Hyundai dealer to have this replaced on Monday.

I wasn't aware until just now that the Hyundai Campaign that I had the VCG replaced under in January and again in March of 2016 had been replaced by a Transport Canada Safety Recall in June of 2016.

I guess Hyundai Canada used the campaign to try to avoid the recall.

This is the 4th replacement and I hope it lasts for awhile.

I do not understand why/how the back valve cover gasket has lasted all this time without problem.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Well, my mechanic tells me that the burning oil smell is again caused by the leaking front valve cover gasket.

I made an appointment with the Hyundai dealer to have this replaced on Monday.

I wasn't aware until just now that the Hyundai Campaign that I had the VCG replaced under in January and again in March of 2016 had been replaced by a Transport Canada Safety Recall in June of 2016.

I guess Hyundai Canada used the campaign to try to avoid the recall.

This is the 4th replacement and I hope it lasts for awhile.

I do not understand why/how the back valve cover gasket has lasted all this time without problem.
My son went through three changes before it was fixed and I think it still has a very slight leak even now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts