Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to hit my 1000 mile mark and I'll be doing my own oil change to make sure quality oil and filters are used since I plan on keeping the car for a long time. I know I want to use synthetic, but I'm unsure which brand of oil to use. I am also unsure about the filter. Please post your oil/filter selection for your Sonata including the part number and a small detail why you chose it. thanks!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read all the post on the the threads and I can't seem to find a concensus answer to what are the top brands of oil and filter to use for the sonata. Most of the responses are very conflicting and opinionated. I don't understand why we cannot have a more direct answer to the questions being asked. For example... if someone ask what is the best oil to use... everyone have specific brands they like so why can't we have a sticky about something like this:

Top five oils members are using for their sonata:

Top five filters members are using for their sonata:

I don't think it's too much to ask what each member acutally uses on their car. I'm not asking for opinions on what you think is the best or not. All I am simply asking is what you ACTUALLY use and why...Is it simply because you trust it, good for the money or whatever.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Use any oil you want. I would go with Mobil 1, Castrol or even Valvoline. They all make a good syntehic oil that you can pick up at any auto store. For filters you could go with Wix, Mobil 1 and Purolater. If you don't like my answers then use google to pick.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I've read all the post on the the threads and I can't seem to find a consensus answer to what are the top brands of oil and filter to use for the sonata. Most of the responses are very conflicting and opinionated. I don't understand why we cannot have a more direct answer to the questions being asked. For example... if someone ask what is the best oil to use... everyone have specific brands they like so why can't we have a sticky about something like this:

Use whatever you want. This is a very subjective question and that is why most of the responses you read are conflicting & opinionated.

And posts like this turn into a Flame Fest, and then your usual Royal Purple & Amsoil suppliers who lurk the Auto forums post. But the Real Deal

here is, #1 Not many 2011 Sonata Owners have done extensive Oil Changes yet to warrant this conversation here. And # 2, we have the

General Hyundai Non-Model Specific Discussion Forum, and that is where this belongs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 28 2010, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327414
I've read all the post on the the threads and I can't seem to find a concensus answer
You never will man :grin:. It's like asking what's the best religion, best politician, best looking girl, etc. Just do your research and make your own decision. Any of the full synthetic (although not really full synthetic, but close :grin: ) commercial oils available, like regular Mobil1 (Mobil1 extended performance is a true synthetic oil), Syntech, Pennzoil Platinum, etc., will be WAAAAY better than any regular oil, so just take your pick. Good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic and a factory filter in my cars (includes Vette, Mustangs, Town Car, VWs, Subarus, etc) and never had an oil related problem. However, my Hundai dealer gives free oil and filter changes using Quaker State synthetic blend and Hyundai filters every 3,750 miles for as long as I own the car and give the full engine warrenty regardless of mileage, even beyond 100,000 miles. I figure if these products are good enough for the factory and dealer to use and still honor their warrenty, that's ok with me. I'll go with their recommendatios - especially at the price :grin:

Don

·
Registered
426 Posts
QUOTE (DonRich90 @ May 28 2010, 09:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327517
I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic and a factory filter in my cars (includes Vette, Mustangs, Town Car, VWs, Subarus, etc) and never had an oil related problem. However, my Hundai dealer gives free oil and filter changes using Quaker State synthetic blend and Hyundai filters every 3,750 miles for as long as I own the car and give the full engine warrenty regardless of mileage, even beyond 100,000 miles. I figure if these products are good enough for the factory and dealer to use and still honor their warrenty, that's ok with me. I'll go with their recommendatios - especially at the price :grin:

Don
I tend to agree, but its kind of hard for me to swallow. My dealer does not give me the oil changes free, every third one is free. They have a pretty resonable charge of $26.50 for oil/filter change though. They use Valvolene sythetic blend. I have been using Mobile 1 for years and for me to by the oil and a good filter, I am going to have over $30.00 in the change not to mention my time.

I am starting to lean to having the changes at the dealer, with their recommended oil/filter for less money then what I would normally do and also have it documented that it was done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Use whatever you want. This is a very subjective question and that is why most of the responses you read are conflicting & opinionated.

And posts like this turn into a Flame Fest, and then your usual Royal Purple & Amsoil suppliers who lurk the Auto forums post. But the Real Deal

here is, #1 Not many 2011 Sonata Owners have done extensive Oil Changes yet to warrant this conversation here. And # 2, we have the

General Hyundai Non-Model Specific Discussion Forum, and that is where this belongs :thumbsup:
[/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~

thats where you are wrong, the first oil change is at 1000mile for new cars, so many owners are getting ready or have already done their first oil change by now. this topic thread is meant for sonata owners to reply on what oil/filter they decide to go with starting with their first oil change at 1000miles. So, if you don't have any good thoughts, experiences, or knowledge to a post, then do everyone a favor and don't reply to the post--it's a waste of space. Thank you and have a good day.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Lets keep it on subject here guys. I would appreciate it if the snyde remarks would stop, we really do not need it here.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (BiXLL @ May 28 2010, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327541
Lets keep it on subject here guys. I would appreciate it if the snyde remarks would stop, we really do not need it here.
<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE (02accentgrl @ May 28 2010, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327540<div class=\'quotemain\'>thats where you are wrong, the first oil change is at 1000mile for new cars. So, if you don't have any good thoughts, experiences, or knowledge to a post, then do everyone a favor and don't reply to the post--it's a waste of space. Thank you and have a good day.[/quote]
BiXLL
, since you are allowing this non Sonata discussion to continue, and may I add I found your Oil/Filter Thread to be right on target :thumbsup:
Why would we want duplicate Threads and then endless posts (and they will never end) when you answered the basic question. All this can be brought up in seconds. But no one cares to look, or read. I of course would follow your advice, and use genuine Hyundai Parts for now.
And I pay $19.95 for a Factory Oil and Filter Change, along with a Multi Point Inspection, and a Car Wash. Best darn Dealer in Kingman Arizona. Possibly America! Get to know your Service Manager. The Writers too. Make them your friends. I got to know 3 Service Managers in
Miami that were outstanding. I wish i could say that about the Mechanics they employed. I only commented about this thread, because I
have read a lot of wrong information, including comments about an Oil change at 1000 miles which is quite outrageous. Again
follow the Manual, and follow the Severe schedule if need be. And be careful of some of the poor advice you can read here!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok let me just settle this once and for all. MiamiLX, I'm sure you've been a big help on some of the threads on this forum, but all you've managed to do on this thread is start a flame war.

First of all. I know that asking what the best oil to use is subjective and that's the reason I did not ask that. There is a thread for that already.

Second, this is not a general non spefcific model question because if you ACTUALLY REAED MY ORIGINAL POST I'm also asking for part number on the filter used.

Third, wether people like to do their first oil change at 1 mile or 1000000000 miles is non of anybody's business. That is not being asked on this thread and I'm not asking anybody's opinion on that matter.

Fourth, of course I will use whatever oil I want, but it does not hurt to have a selection of good oils and fiilter by popular demand specific for the 11 Sonata. Im sure it will benefit other members who may be interested to know.

Fifth, Obviously this thread is only meant for people who had their first oil change already so if you haven't done one on the 11 sonata, please spare me your opinion.

Sixth, I seriously don't understand why it's hard for people to just list the oil and filterf they used when they did their first oil change. Is it really hard to say "I used this brand x oil and this brand y filter. Here is the part number on the filter. I just chosed this combination becaused I like it"

Lastly, just because someone posted a new thread with a similar title, don't assume that it is necessarily the same question and they did not read the other threads. Although it may be true for some, making an assumption without understanding the question proves that you're incompetent to understand the question and provide the correct answer.

My appologies if I step on some toes here, but this has gotten way out of hand. This thread was meant to gather data based on what the majority of members selection of oil and filter with part number. Later we can create a sticky thread with good information on what top 5 brands of oil and filter members have used on their sonata so they can havea selection and make their final informed decision on their own.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 28 2010, 01:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327414
Top five oils members are using for their sonata:
3. [attachment=18407:genuine.JPG]

Top five filters members are using for their sonata:
3. [attachment=18407:genuine.JPG]

I don't think it's too much to ask what each member acutally uses on their car. I'm not asking for opinions on what you think is the best or not. All I am simply asking is what you ACTUALLY use and why...Is it simply because you trust it, good for the money or whatever.
Why not take a Forum Poll Nitrate? Again in your limited opinion what does this have to do with the 2011 Sonata? Every Car has Oil & a Filter :trophy:

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Basically, with todays oil and engines, noone in this forum will ever have an oil-related engine failure, even if they use 99-cent cheapo gas station oil, as long as they change it semi-regularly. Even the cheap stuff is 100x better than the stuff 20 years ago, and its all the same oil anyway.

But if you really wanna obsess over it, use Search for any of a dozen past threads, or go direct to the source of all oil-related info, Bob is the Oil Guy's forums. Then start testing your oil on each change at $20 a pop and find what works best for you.

Or, pick one of the tried-and-tested quadfecta: Amsoil, Royal Purple, German Castrol, Mobile1. The differences between these for drivers are so minor, you will be good with any UNLESS you expect to see me at the NHRA next weekend in your Sonata. At which point you would be experienced enough not to post this thread anyway. :whistling:

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ May 29 2010, 08:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327616
MiamiLX, I'm sure you've been a big help on some of the threads on this forum
That'd be wrong :grin:. And he doesn't even own a Sonata. This guy is the reason forums came up with the 'ignore list' feature, and he was the first to populate mine. They have nothing better to do than to pick fights on forums until they get kicked out.

If you want to learn more about oils, visit bobistheoilguy.com site and you should have enough reading material for a while. Take care.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Time out! Take a chill pill folks. It's just another "what the best oil" question. State your opinion is all you have to do.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
this is yet another post that's getting way out of hand. please keep to the point and stop the personal remarks and attacks or the topic will be closed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts