Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change the oil and filter on my 2004 Elantra myself. Use 4.07 quarts of oil
(4 quarts, 2 ounces) and the proper Hyndai filter. The 4.07 is what the owners
manual specifies. After the oil change the dip stick always reads over full by about
a third of a quart! (I've been changing the oil in my cars since 1970. I'm sure I
am doing the job properly) Does anybody else see this in your car???

·
Registered
329 Posts
You've certianly got the spec right. When you change the filter you need to run the engine for a minute or so before checking the oil. That gives the filter a chance to fill up, which would be around a third of a quart.

It wouldn't do any harm to just put in 4 quarts then do your check and top up as needed.

Gord

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by gordo@Oct 8 2004, 09:25 AM
You've certianly got the spec right. When you change the filter you need to run the engine for a minute or so before checking the oil. That gives the filter a chance to fill up, which would be around a third of a quart.

It wouldn't do any harm to just put in 4 quarts then do your check and top up as needed.

Gord
[snapback]1598[/snapback]​

Hi Gord............I've done what you suggested, still over full mark. The car is running fine,so I will proabably just leave it alone. Has it snowed yet where you
are in Canada?

Merel

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi Merel - sometimes I wonder how accurate the factory specs are - I know that the 'O2 calls for a bit more oil - some slight change in engine configuration.

No snow for us - just lots of rain. Victoria is on the west coast (look for Vancouver and look left - we're on the southern tip of Vancouver Island) Our weather is a lot like Seatle's.

We did get some winter driving in last Christmas when we went up to Edmonton to see the grandkids. Lots of snow, ice and slush but the Elantra held the road through the mountains like it was glued on. This was with the stock tires. No problem starting in -30 but the windshield washer quit working at one point (even with fluid rated to -35)

Gord

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have also noticed the same readings. To be on the safe side I add 3.5 qts and after 1 min of engine run. I re-check and top off as needed. Too much oil can cause excessive crankcase pressure and possible rattle noise like its a diesel.. Just my 2 cents......

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
WOW, you really dug-up an old one! :coffee:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts