Hyundai Forums banner
41 - 60 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Do they make these oil extractors in 110V?
I swore-off hand pump extractors several years ago. I couldn't even get the cheap $10 Harbor Freight hand-pump to extract my lawnmower oil...lol. The directions were awful.

I hated throwing something brand new in the garbage. But that's what I did. So I'm dead-set against buying another hand pump version. Both of my push mowers must be turned over to discharge ALL of the oil. What a mess this creates every two spring-times.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Do they make these oil extractors in 110V?
I swore-off hand pump extractors several years ago. I couldn't even get the cheap $10 Harbor Freight hand-pump to extract my lawnmower oil...lol. The directions were awful.

I hated throwing something brand new in the garbage. But that's what I did. So I'm dead-set against buying another hand pump version. Both of my push mowers must be turned over to discharge ALL of the oil. What a mess this creates every two spring-times.
View attachment 449202
From what I've seen, the electronic ones are really slow. This one is decently quick. I was actually surprised at how quick. I started it up and walked away to fetch my tools that I left inside, by the time I came back out, it was just about done. It probably would have finished if it didn't need to be pumped more.

The pneumatic ones are pretty cool too. You don't even need to pump, just hook up air compressor.

I was also looking into getting this one before I purchased the one above from Harbor Freight. Seemed very nice, but a little pricey IMO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks. Yes, those dilution values are not bad at all! Hopefully mine isn't too bad...I don't think it will be considering I extracted less oil than I initially thought.

How do you like the Fumoto valve? Does it ever leak?
I’ve only done one oil change with the Fumoto and it was fine. There’s a plastic piece that slides over the valve lever for extra security. I need to trim a tube to the correct length next time and empty straight into a 5 quart oil container. It’s a little slower because the drain hole is smaller.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have owned an oil extractor for over 6 years and it's the best way to change oil. ---- NO MESS :=)
I paid about $70 at Amazon. People complain that it takes too long and they are don't like hand pumping the device.
My unit takes about 15-20 easy pumps to completely remove the oil. The secrete is to warm the engine up then extract the oil. ----( Also remove the oil cap)
I also have used Fumoto valve in past years and never had a leak problem ... it just took too long.
Another idea is punching a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and you have better control over oil spill
It takes me about 15 minutes to do an oil and filter change using these methods.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have owned an oil extractor for over 6 years and it's the best way to change oil. ---- NO MESS :=)
I paid about $70 at Amazon. People complain that it takes too long and they are don't like hand pumping the device.
My unit takes about 15-20 easy pumps to completely remove the oil. The secrete is to warm the engine up then extract the oil. ----( Also remove the oil cap)
I also have used Fumoto valve in past years and never had a leak problem ... it just took too long.
Another idea is punching a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and you have better control over oil spill
It takes me about 15 minutes to do an oil and filter change using these methods.

I totally agree. I haven't changed oil the regular way since I've bought an extractor years ago.

Loosening the oil filter slow will allow it to drain in a controlled manner.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,847 Posts
But u still have to raise the car, slide under, remove the panel. The 2 times I changed oil, I screwed up on the aim lol. The drain hole is too high, the collection tray is only 12", difficult to place the tray in the desirable position. Next time I'm gonna try to slide under without the ramp.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I’m looking forward to seeing the results of the Kirkland oil. I’ve got 6 of the 5qt. jugs sitting down in my basement. My guess is that it’s going to be pretty much identical to the Super Tech oil (which gets great reviews), as they’re both made by Warren Labs.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yep. Based on the video Project Farm did on YouTube, they pretty much perform the same. Many speculate that Warren may also be manufacturing Mobil1 because it also performs similar to SuperTech.

Just judging by the looks of the used oil, still seemed to have a good amount of life left.

I just got my analysis kit today so I'll be placing it in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully the sample is good. The oil has been sitting for about a week now. I was sure to shake the bottle to disperse anything that might have settled on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
FishRamLion, response to your Correction 07/19 update...
I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, the jug has markings on the side. I poured to 5L, poured the rest to another jug and estimated about 0.75L. The estimate would be inaccurate if the jug has no markers.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
FishRamLion, response to your Correction 07/19 update...
I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, the jug has markings on the side. I poured to 5L, poured the rest to another jug and estimated about 0.75L. The estimate would be inaccurate if the jug has no markers.
Right. I was refering to markings on extractor....I revised my estimate after emptying the oil back into the oil container. With the Kirkland oil container it doesn't have the 5qt marker on the bottle, and the bottle holds just a litter over 5qts in capacity. I measured where the 5qt marker should be (based on the other markers) and the level was still a little over that. So actual amount of oil pulled from the oil pan was closer to 5.2 or 5.3 qts rather than the 5.8 initially estimated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Right. I was refering to markings on extractor....I revised my estimate after emptying the oil back into the oil container. With the Kirkland oil container it doesn't have the 5qt marker on the bottle, and the bottle holds just a litter over 5qts in capacity. I measured where the 5qt marker should be (based on the other markers) and the level was still a little over that. So actual amount of oil pulled from the oil pan was closer to 5.2 or 5.3 qts rather than the 5.8 initially estimated.
You’ve got me thinking about getting an extractor thinking it would save some effort with oil changes, but don’t you have to put the car on ramps to get to the filter anyway?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
You’ve got me thinking about getting an extractor thinking it would save some effort with oil changes, but don’t you have to put the car on ramps to get to the filter anyway?
Yes, unfortunately due to the filter location and being covered by the panels. I still think it tends to be a little quicker and less messy than the traditional method.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Amen, had a VW with a top mount cartridge - with an extractor oil changes were a snap & not a bit of mess.
According to various forums messageboards, some cartridge containers are a pita to open & close. I'm thankful that the spin-ons are still existing today. Once the new vehicle owner recognizes which kind of spin-on oil filter wrench, he / she needs to use, then the following 50 oil changes should be a breeze.

One can now buy an assortment pack of bottom-end filter removers, the type that require a socket extension and wrench. Some of these packs even come in a carrying case and fit inside of each other. Or one can buy a wrench that wraps around the filter for removal, depending on the amount of room needed.

If you have a cartridge type that's easy to use, you are fortunate. Many are not easy to operate and some are messier than spin-ons.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
My traded 07 Sonata V6 used the cartridge filter. The large O ring is easy to replace, but the small O ring is a pita to remove and pita to install. Too small and too slippery!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have owned 3 Hyundai cars with V6 and those top of engine cartridge oil filters. What a super easy and almost no oil mess filter change . Losen the top of filter and oil would drain into the engine. I used an oil extractor to remove oil
It would take 10 min. top to do an oil change and filter

·
Registered
956 Posts
oil filter can sits in front of oil pan on mine easy change out can i safely use 0w40 come fall on my 2006 elantra?
Yes. 0w40 may turn out to be a good choice. Even heavier oil is used in that same exact engine in some foreign countries.
------------------------

What I dislike about this forum / messageboard is not knowing where other members here live. Most-all boards list location below the user-name. Knowing the location helps in deciding the oil grade to use at specific times of the year.

I put my location inside my Signature.

41 - 60 of 337 Posts