Hyundai Forums banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
5% of 5 quarts is 250mls of unburnt fuel in the crankcase.
Not sure where your 5 gallons comes from...........
You are really bad at math aren’t you! The piston rings are no water hoses.

Piston rings are consider worn when they leak 10%.
Air Fuel ratio rich is 14.8 to 1. 14.8 lbs of air and 1 lbs of fuel.

Please read the analysis this person supplied. It show 2.5% fuel in 5 qt of oil.

Amount of fuel = 2.5% fuel as a percentage of 5 qt of oil = 0.125 qt fuel in oil. Convert to Lbs Fuel = (0.125 qts / 4 qts per gallon) x 6.8 lbs per gallon wt of fuel. = 0.2125 lbs unburnt fuel.

Total Amount of unburnt fuel in cylinder with 10% bypass
= (0.2125 lbs x 14.8 AF ratio) / 10% = 31.45 lbs unburnt fuel in cylinder. 31.45 lbs / 6.8 lbs per gallon fuel = 4.625 gallons unburnt fuel in cylinder.

Because he stated he drove 666 miles / est. 20 miles per gallon = 33.3 gallons of fuel burnt to travel this distance.

This person experienced 4.625 gallons of unburnt fuel in 666 miles of travel burning 33.3 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Please read the analysis this person supplied. It show 2.5% fuel in 5 qt of oil.

Amount of fuel = 2.5% fuel as a percentage of 5 qt of oil = 0.125 qt fuel in oil. Convert to Lbs Fuel = (0.125 qts / 4 qts per gallon) x 6.8 lbs per gallon wt of fuel. = 0.2125 lbs unburnt fuel.

= (0.2125 lbs x 14.8 AF ratio) / 10% = 31.45 lbs unburnt fuel in cylinder. 31.45 lbs / 6.8 lbs per gallon fuel = 4.625 gallons unburnt fuel in cylinder.

Because he stated he drove 666 miles / est. 20 miles per gallon = 33.3 gallons of fuel burnt to travel this distance.

This person experienced 4.625 gallons of unburnt fuel in 666 miles of travel burning 33.3 gallons of fuel.
This makes zero sense......zero.
I'm talking %5 total volume to argue the highest levels of fuel I have seen in various UOA's.
Even at that 250mls is not 5 Gal....
Your conversions to get 5 gal makes zero sense........zero.
Converting liquid volume to liquid weight, does not work like you are suggesting.

250mls is 250mls......of fuel.
Sorry case closed.

Why an I even posting this...........?

·
Registered
440 Posts

This is some funky math man.....
Multiplying .2125 with the AF.........c'mon.
You are just grabbing numbers.......
Ok NOW I'm done. This is just too much BS to actually be real.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Frankly, I don’t know why anyone would read Raymond’s idiotic posts! Much less, why would anyone even answer them!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Th
Thaks to the OP for sharing the UOA,
I suspected these engines having mire than usual oil dilution issues.
It really confirms it.
Thanks
You're welcome. That's what these forums are for, to share our experiences!

I have about 900 miles until my next oil change. With COVID and still working from home it will probably take me another month to drive 900 miles lol!

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
112 Posts
If it is of any interest this same topic and same results can be found on almost every vehicle equipped with a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine.

Our 2nd car is a KIA Niro PHEV EX. On the Niro Forum there are a couple of threads with people going on and on agonizing over this same subject. The KIA Niro has a 1.6 l GDI engine. It is a great engine these vehicle get over 52 mpg and are simply great vehicles for economic travel.

Honda, Toyota and many others have individuals reporting the same thing. There are many videos on youtube discussing GDI engines and gas in the oil.

Personally I don't worry about it at all. In my world with Covid, and family this issue wouldn't make my top 100 concerns.

Our Niro has over 25,000 trouble free miles on it and runs great averaging over 50 mpg.

I will point out that one individual did have a legitimate concern and condition on his vehicle. His was getting a measurable amount of gas in his oil. The Kia technicians troubleshot it to a faulty Secondary Fuel pressurization pump that is driven off the cam. It had a bad seal and gas was leaking from the pump into the valve gallery.

If there really is a problem it is very simple to isolate: Leaky injectors, bad secondary fuel pump or leaking rings.

Our Niro is a Plug in Hybrid so it runs on electric a great deal the gas engine kicks in when it is cold and we need heat or the electric range is exceeded. Under these condition some gas is of course getting in our vehicles oil. When we take a trip and use the expressway and the gas engine has a chance to run the fuel is vaporized and the oil level returns to a slightly lower level.

So far our Hyundai Santa Fe oil level is holding its own and very stable. We don't use the Santa Fe around town it is used most often for longer trips.

I also appreciated you posting your oil results and hoped others experiences may be of interest to you.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
If it is of any interest this same topic and same results can be found on almost every vehicle equipped with a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine.

Our 2nd car is a KIA Niro PHEV EX. On the Niro Forum there are a couple of threads with people going on and on agonizing over this same subject. The KIA Niro has a 1.6 l GDI engine. It is a great engine these vehicle get over 52 mpg and are simply great vehicles for economic travel.

Honda, Toyota and many others have individuals reporting the same thing. There are many videos on youtube discussing GDI engines and gas in the oil.

Personally I don't worry about it at all. In my world with Covid, and family this issue wouldn't make my top 100 concerns.

Our Niro has over 25,000 trouble free miles on it and runs great averaging over 50 mpg.

I will point out that one individual did have a legitimate concern and condition on his vehicle. His was getting a measurable amount of gas in his oil. The Kia technicians troubleshot it to a faulty Secondary Fuel pressurization pump that is driven off the cam. It had a bad seal and gas was leaking from the pump into the valve gallery.

If there really is a problem it is very simple to isolate: Leaky injectors, bad secondary fuel pump or leaking rings.

Our Niro is a Plug in Hybrid so it runs on electric a great deal the gas engine kicks in when it is cold and we need heat or the electric range is exceeded. Under these condition some gas is of course getting in our vehicles oil. When we take a trip and use the expressway and the gas engine has a chance to run the fuel is vaporized and the oil level returns to a slightly lower level.

So far our Hyundai Santa Fe oil level is holding its own and very stable. We don't use the Santa Fe around town it is used most often for longer trips.

I also appreciated you posting your oil results and hoped others experiences may be of interest to you.
Thanks for the info. Yep. I am aware and interested in other cases. I think everyone knows about the infamous Honda 1.5T. I also think that the manufacturers are aware and they're just being tight-lipped about it. I guess one good thing that my previous UOAs revealed is that even though there is some oil dilution, the oil still did a pretty good job protecting the engine; there wasn't any abnormal wear. We just have to make so we are diligent with our maintenance of these engines.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Those honda 1.5's have been known to stall out while driving because the system can get so saturated with fuel.

DI , short trips and cold weather....not a great mix.

201 - 212 of 212 Posts