Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I recently got an analysis done that is quite interesting, so I thought I'd share.

A little Background info first:
I've owned my SF for almost 5 months now. I got my first oil change done at the dealer back in early March at ~2100 miles. I noted to the dealer that I suspected that the vehicle may be suffering from fuel diluting the oil as the oil level had gone above the full mark. The dealer told me that they couldn't find any huge red flags as they pulled just under 5.07 quarts when changed the oil (To my memory, 5.03 was the exact number). I didn't make a huge issue over it, and was going to keep a close eye on it. Going over my paperwork, I noticed that they put in conventional oil, which I would rather run synthetic as DI + turbo engines are pretty rough on oil. Anyway, at 666 miles on the conventional oil, I decided to change the oil. I bought an oil extractor from Harbor Freight. It has pretty good build quality and did a great job extracting the oil. It pulled just under 5 liters of oil. I used the Costco Kirkland brand synthetic 5W30 oil and will most likely be sticking to that along with the wix 51334xp filter. I didn't change the filter yet since I only ran 666 miles on the conventional oil. I plan to change the oil every 4-5k miles (depending on my next oil analysis) and change the filter every other oil change since it is rated for 10K miles so I won't have to crawl under the vehicle too often.

Now to the good stuff: The report.
Well, after only 666 miles on the oil, fuel has diluted the oil to a 0w20 viscosity. See the report below.

I will change the oil around 5800 miles and have another oil analysis done. If I feel like it or if the oil goes over the full mark, I will take it into the dealership again. Right now the oil level looks fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
742 Posts
From what I read, oil dilution with gasoline is normal for DI engine due to the pressurized system. What I haven't find is what is the maximum acceptable percentage. For my SF, 5L in, 5.75L out during winter season.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you have fuel in your oil, you are in deep trouble! If your report can prove that I suggest you lawyer up and get Hyundai to replace your motor.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I read, oil dilution with gasoline is normal for DI engine due to the pressurized system. What I haven't find is what is the maximum acceptable percentage. For my SF, 5L in, 5.75L out during winter season.
Yes. I expect there to be a little dilution, but it shouldn't be to excessive like in my case. We will see how my next oil analysis turns out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have fuel in your oil, you are in deep trouble! If your report can prove that I suggest you lawyer up and get Hyundai to replace your motor.
I doubt that I will get my engine replaced so soon since it hasn't caused a problem (YET). I mean I do like the vehicle so I will work with them to get it fixed...then if they can't fix it correctly...I will go down the route of lemon law and getting a lawyer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FishRamLion
Where does it say the Hyundai oil filter can be used for 10K?

Also, if the dealer has you on-record for citing fuel dilution concerns, you better follow the Severe Service Recommendations of the owners manual and change your oil by 4K. I believe the manual actually says 3,750 miles and that includes the oil filter changed also.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FishRamLion
Where does it say the Hyundai oil filter can be used for 10K?

Also, if the dealer has you on-record for citing fuel dilution concerns, you better follow the Severe Service Recommendations of the owners manual and change your oil by 4K. I believe the manual actually says 3,750 miles and that includes the oil filter changed also.
Not the Hyundai oil filter. The Wix XP oil filter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not true. Almost all internal combustion engines have some degree of oil dilution from fuel. DI engines have more than non-DI. Unless the amount is significant, the major downside in reduced viscosity. Reduced viscosity means reduced film friction levels which means more wear on moving parts. It's a good thing Hyundai has a 10year/50K mi warranty on the engine. When you get close to either limit, a oil analysis is a good weapon to have when you go to deal with the service manager.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
On a lighter note and not related to the DFI engine.
This is a pic of a Isuzu that hydrauliced from fuel buildup in the engine (internal leak). It had only travelled 300kms and cost $58,000 in repairs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a lighter note and not related to the DFI engine.
This is a pic of a Isuzu that hydrauliced from fuel buildup in the engine (internal leak). It had only travelled 300kms and cost $58,000 in repairs.
View attachment 446965
Yikes! I assumed the insurance company declared the car totaled at those repair expenses. I wonder how and engine replacement equates to $58K in repairs.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
It was a brand new truck and for some reason the dealer adjusted the tappets and the mechanic left an injector return hose loose or off and it was inside the engine. The truck was on the highway doing 100km/h when the engine was full of diesel fuel and it got sucked into the engine via the PCV system and kapow. All over red rover. They fixed it with a new engine and transmission plus who knows what else. The repair bill was $58.000.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update 05-20
So it has been a month since I changed my oil. I have driven ~900 miles. I checked the oil today, and it was a tad over the full marker. The oil didn't have as strong of a fuel smell since the last oil, but I could still smell a little fuel.

Not the best image but It was about as good as I could get with one hand without getting oil drops on anything and trying to prevent the paper from blowing away.

So far I am liking the Costco Kirkland brand oil...but of course we will see how it fares with the next oil analysis.

I might not reach 5K miles by the end of July/early August, but I might end up just changing the oil anyway.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
742 Posts
The improvement is probably due to the shorter warm up period from the warmer weather.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have never had a car with a fuel in the oil problem until this 2016 Elantra GDI. Seems to run fine but it is noisy when the engine is cold. This sample was take during cold weather and short trips.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never had a car with a fuel in the oil problem until this 2016 Elantra GDI. Seems to run fine but it is noisy when the engine is cold. This sample was take during cold weather and short trips. View attachment 447285

Have you taken it to the dealer and shown the oil analysis results? If so, what was their response?

·
Registered
288 Posts
No I have not for two reasons. I have no warranty on this vehicle and secondly, they are not going to do anything. If I had a warranty and the engine broke, I hope they would fix it. They have no responsibility other than that. Perhaps all engines have this much fuel in the oil during short trips and I really don't see a problem right now. Maybe I'll do another oil analysis later this summer and I'll do it right after a long hot drive to see if the fuel dilution goes down.

FishRamLion, I would not be to worried if I were you. Short trips are going to put fuel in the oil, a long drive [30 minutes] once a week should boil off the fuel. Keep an eye on the oil level and if it rises more than 1/4 inch , draw a sample for analysis. Hyundai is not going to do anything unless the fuel dilution is huge. I have had other cars where the oil viscosity drops down a grade for no apparent reason and it created no problems.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I do lots of short trips in my Tucson. I normally do 5000 mile changes.
May go shorter with COVID.
About 500 miles after an oil change the level rises about 1/4" and then stays put.
If you're worried about fuel dilution do shorter changes and do the filter every other change.
If you DIY with $15 SuperTech synth it's not exactly a financial burden.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I have not for two reasons. I have no warranty on this vehicle and secondly, they are not going to do anything. If I had a warranty and the engine broke, I hope they would fix it. They have no responsibility other than that. Perhaps all engines have this much fuel in the oil during short trips and I really don't see a problem right now. Maybe I'll do another oil analysis later this summer and I'll do it right after a long hot drive to see if the fuel dilution goes down.

FishRamLion, I would not be to worried if I were you. Short trips are going to put fuel in the oil, a long drive [30 minutes] once a week should boil off the fuel. Keep an eye on the oil level and if it rises more than 1/4 inch , draw a sample for analysis. Hyundai is not going to do anything unless the fuel dilution is huge. I have had other cars where the oil viscosity drops down a grade for no apparent reason and it created no problems.
Yea, I'm not gonna worry too much about it. Just gonna bring it up again when I have another oil analysis done just to make sure things are well documented in case I have any issues down the line. I will also take my used oil to them just in case they want to send a sample back to Hyundai headquarters to test themselves.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I do lots of short trips in my Tucson. I normally do 5000 mile changes.
May go shorter with COVID.
About 500 miles after an oil change the level rises about 1/4" and then stays put.
If you're worried about fuel dilution do shorter changes and do the filter every other change.
If you DIY with $15 SuperTech synth it's not exactly a financial burden.
Yes. I noticed that too during the winter. It rises to 1/4 inch and seems to stay there. I'm using the kirkland oil..so even $3.50 cheaper than the SuperTech.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Perhaps there's a certain amount the oil absorbs (saturation point) that becomes difficult to boil off but more than that it boils off and is consumed via the PCV system.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts