Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who doesn't love winter? I'll tell you what, my Sonata doesn't love it! Well my eyes don't that's for sure. Having to go to my car and see its ENTIRELY covered in salt makes me cringe! Although... If I wait long enough I might have the pearl white color I wanted to get originally! But what can you do when you live in the northern states, and it snows constantly and they use egregious amounts of road salt? And then two days later its sunny and it melts again and the salt gets thrown everywhere. No sense in getting a car wash unless you can guarantee you have a few days of cloudy skies, but no chance of snow to keep the roads dry.

One thing is for sure, when I build my house, its going to have a heated garage and a floor drain so I can at the very least rinse my car down when it gets covered in salt in the winter. oh, and a lift! ^_^

Anyway, just ranting and killing time at 3:15 in the afternoon at work! I'm sure a lot of people can agree with me, winter sucks when it comes to your cars!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sunny and in the 50s here and my Sonata is nice and clean. :D

And I think you have the garage thing all wrong............you just need to head south. I made my move from Ohio about 30 years too late.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Who doesn't love winter? I'll tell you what, my Sonata doesn't love it! Well my eyes don't that's for sure. Having to go to my car and see its ENTIRELY covered in salt makes me cringe! Although... If I wait long enough I might have the pearl white color I wanted to get originally! But what can you do when you live in the northern states, and it snows constantly and they use egregious amounts of road salt? And then two days later its sunny and it melts again and the salt gets thrown everywhere. No sense in getting a car wash unless you can guarantee you have a few days of cloudy skies, but no chance of snow to keep the roads dry.

One thing is for sure, when I build my house, its going to have a heated garage and a floor drain so I can at the very least rinse my car down when it gets covered in salt in the winter. oh, and a lift! ^_^

Anyway, just ranting and killing time at 3:15 in the afternoon at work! I'm sure a lot of people can agree with me, winter sucks when it comes to your cars!
Commiserating with you!

On the other side of the lovely WI and my beautiful Red Sled looks like I drove it through a salt mound.

Just took it through the soft touch'er at Fleet Farm and it looked good for about 10 minutes.

Mind you, I moved from Ohio 7 years ago because there wasn't enough of this crap there!

Oh only 4-5 more months to go, right?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Haha nothing like being up north in Canada where cars rust in 3 years and rustproofing is ineffective. .

The salt here is ridiculous.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mine does not like the cold, if I put my fan on 4 and heat between cold and hot the engine has a hard time holding temp even at 100kmh .. Did this one day at only -4c now its terrible when its -20 or more.
If I stop for more than a minute or so it drops to almost zero.
They tell me it's ok and working fine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh man I hear u. Here in Minnesota it is a constant battle with the weather. I got a car wash last week n it looks like crap already. I rinsed off my driver's side rubber floormat the other day. Something about the black floormat turning white from salt bothered me. :rolleyes:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
134 Posts
Haha nothing like being up north in Canada where cars rust in 3 years and rustproofing is ineffective. .

The salt here is ridiculous.
Just need to move somewhere colder B). They don't really use salt on the roads here, it gets too cold for it to be effective.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've owned many vehicles and have kept a few for as long as 11 & 8 years with no rust.
sorry I exaggerated haha.. i had a 1992 corolla that rusted in 5 years with only 30,000 kms, a 2002 suzuki vitara that rusted in 8 years with 60,000 kms, and my 2011 mazda 3 has rusted in on the wheel wells but it's gotten 115,000 kms. I hope this sonata will last at least 5 years without rust.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It's been in the 30's and 40's in Georgia and it rained like ALL last week and it's gonna rain again this weekend.

I DON'T love my car looking dirty all the dang time, but I'll tell you what...turbo cars LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this cold weather.

The difference in power is absolutely noticeable. I love it! ^.^

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Houston here. This is the best time of the year for us. No snow, no salt. Temp seldom go below 30. Dry air. You just don't want to be here in August. I guess everything is a trade off :(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pittsburgh here.. its been around 15-25 degrees for the past week. about 9 inches of snow. i NEED to get new tires. i have the crappy kumo solus that come on the car with 28k miles on them. i think i will be getting some blizzaks next week. i'm hoping for a better sale closer to Christmas.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know where you are coming from but actually heated garage will accelerate the corrosive nature of salt. When I built my house years ago I also wanted a floor drain in the garage but I was told no because guys used to drain their oil into them thus they stopped allowing floor drains.

Get an unlimited car wash package and drive the Sonata through it as many times as possible.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
2.0 터보;1815666 said:
I know where you are coming from but actually heated garage will accelerate the corrosive nature of salt. When I built my house years ago I also wanted a floor drain in the garage but I was told no because guys used to drain their oil into them thus they stopped allowing floor drains.

Get an unlimited car wash package and drive the Sonata through it as many times as possible.
Actually the garage wouldn't need to be heated and it should stay above freezing even in the coldest weather, but I would love to be able to at least rinse the car down when it gets salt all over. Therefore, no corrosion! Also, they really told you that you couldn't do it? That stinks. As far as I know, some places require you to have an oil separator but don't dissallow it I know. It should be illegal to dump oil in there but not illegal to have a floor drain. plus you could just have a drain that goes outside then into the sewer and it's the same thing all over. Wouldn't stop anyone from dumping oil if they wanted to.

And I thought about doing that, but I prefer to hand wash as much as possible. I do go through car washes but I don't know if it's worth it with how much I prefer doing it myself.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I wish some entrepreneur would come up with heated garages for the DIYer...I would also pay to have a touchless (no chems) that I could select a soft water high pressure rinse that INCLUDES the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish some entrepreneur would come up with heated garages for the DIYer...I would also pay to have a touchless (no chems) that I could select a soft water high pressure rinse that INCLUDES the bottom of the car.
One of my friends has a normal garage and they put a small unit heater on a rack that was fastened to the ceiling. It works really well. Just turn it on full blast for 30 minutes and it gets pretty dang hot in there. You could also add insulation to the walls and I'm sure they make insulated garage doors too.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
One of my friends has a normal garage and they put a small unit heater on a rack that was fastened to the ceiling. It works really well. Just turn it on full blast for 30 minutes and it gets pretty dang hot in there. You could also add insulation to the walls and I'm sure they make insulated garage doors too.
Oh, my garage is heated and I have insulated doors. I don't, however have a drain. I have started to hand wash with No Rinse. However I am still skeptical about heavy dirt so I still rinse off at a near by local place. The whole blot thing is weird to get my head around. Blot instead of wash. Really weird. I have only been doing it on lower panels (fender, doors).

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Oh you rich guys and your heated garages!

Im jealous---I dont even have sheetrock in my garage. The poor cars shiver all winter!

However, I may consider doing a ceiling mounted natural gas heater one of these days. Any suggestions on brand?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts