Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my car for less than a month I've got a small chip in the paint on the driver's side fender. The chip is a quarter of the size of a grain of rice and has gone through the clear coat and the paint but stopped at the primer. It looks like it came from a highway rock.

I talked to two dealerships and it looks like hyundai hasn't produced a touch up pen yet. I was thinking of applying a few coats of wax to it while I wait for the pen to become available. What do you guys think?

Pictures later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 7 2010, 09:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320732
Whatever you do, and there are options, do not wait for nor get a Hyundai Paint Pen.
Can you explain some of the options?

Will the pen murder my dog, rob me blind, and drink my milk straight from the container? It's a pretty small area so unless the pen is bright orange i don't think it would be noticeable. I'm just worried about rust and corrosion

·
Registered
162 Posts
QUOTE (osrk @ May 7 2010, 09:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320737
Can you explain some of the options?

Will the pen murder my dog, rob me blind, and drink my milk straight from the container? It's a pretty small area so unless the pen is bright orange i don't think it would be noticeable. I'm just worried about rust and corrosion
I would like to know what some other options are too, while I'm waiting on the touch up kit from the dealer.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
The Hyundai Paint Pens are so bad, that you will probably receive at least one free Pen coupon in the next Year.

There are many posts on paint chips & paint pens here at Hyundai-Forums. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 7 2010, 10:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320749
The Hyundai Paint Pens are so bad, that you will probably receive at least one free Pen coupon in the next Year.

There are many posts on paint chips & paint pens here at Hyundai-Forums. :thumbsup:
You beat me to it Miami . . . . I wouldn't use a pen myself either (ohh and this is my third Hyundai and my wife has owned 4).

·
Registered
98 Posts
QUOTE (osrk @ May 7 2010, 08:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320707
I've only had my car for less than a month I've got a small chip in the paint on the driver's side fender. The chip is a quarter of the size of a grain of rice and has gone through the clear coat and the paint but stopped at the primer. It looks like it came from a highway rock.

I talked to two dealerships and it looks like hyundai hasn't produced a touch up pen yet. I was thinking of applying a few coats of wax to it while I wait for the pen to become available. What do you guys think?

Pictures later.
Just so you know, there is a touch up pen, I picked one up last week at my dealer.

Good luck, touch it up quickly!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (grcguy @ May 8 2010, 08:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320836
Just so you know, there is a touch up pen, I picked one up last week at my dealer.

Good luck, touch it up quickly!
I think I'm going to a auto paint place and have them match the color and then seal it. I was also looking at this website too:
http://www.paintscratch.com/

I think this solution is better then the touch up pen. Thanks though!

·
Registered
209 Posts
i feel your pain!

i have a chip on the front passenger fender. i looks like a bug until you get up close enough realize it's a chip in the paint. it's really annoying because i have only had the car for like 3 weeks and have only driven it 4 or 5 times. :(

neither of the sites in this thread list pearl white as being available. i emailed paintscratch.com to see if they can help. any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Within a week of purchasing my new Pearl White Sonata, I noticed a small paint chip on the rear panel. I have no idea how it could have happened on the rear panel The paint was chipped all the way down to the black rubber/plastic. Because the paint chip was all the way down to the black rubber, it really stood out.

My local dealer suggested I just use the Hyundai paint pen to fix this very small paint chip. The dealer had to order one for me. The cost was $13.88 with tax.

Within a few days, I had one in hand. The paint pen has two tips on it. One is the paint color and the other was clear coat.

Even though others don't recommend the paint pen, I went ahead and gave it a try on this small paint chip. I applied the paint very sparingly. I waited until the next day to apply the clear coat.

The result: I can't even see where the paint chip was. If I feel around the area, I can find it by touch. The paint pen worked good enough for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
QUOTE (retiredguy @ May 24 2010, 12:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325852
Within a week of purchasing my new Pearl White Sonata, I noticed a small paint chip on the rear panel. I have no idea how it could have happened on the rear panel The paint was chipped all the way down to the black rubber/plastic. Because the paint chip was all the way down to the black rubber, it really stood out.

My local dealer suggested I just use the Hyundai paint pen to fix this very small paint chip. The dealer had to order one for me. The cost was $13.88 with tax.

Within a few days, I had one in hand. The paint pen has two tips on it. One is the paint color and the other was clear coat.

Even though others don't recommend the paint pen, I went ahead and gave it a try on this small paint chip. I applied the paint very sparingly. I waited until the next day to apply the clear coat.

The result: I can't even see where the paint chip was. If I feel around the area, I can find it by touch. The paint pen worked good enough for me.
i too can't believe i got a chip considering i've barely driven it. it makes me think i should have inspected it better at the dealer before i took possession. also if i lay down and look under the fender there are scraps there too and i know i've never ran up on anything. my car had 200 miles of test driving on it before i got it so i'm not to sure the damage wasn't already there.

thanks for the info about the pen.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Welcome to the days of good ol' VOC compliant water based garbage (car manufacturers call it PAINT)

QUOTE (osrk @ May 8 2010, 08:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320843
I think I'm going to a auto paint place and have them match the color and then seal it. I was also looking at this website too:

paintscratch is the best :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (osrk @ May 8 2010, 06:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320843

I went to the paintscratch site and did a search but they don't have "pearl white" as an option for the 2011 Sonata Anyone have any idea why ?

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (kbear @ May 24 2010, 04:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325891
I went to the paintscratch site and did a search but they don't have "pearl white" as an option for the 2011 Sonata Anyone have any idea why ?
thats because its probably called Camel Metallic Clearcoat paint code SV (which you are calling pearl white) :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts