Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel is still offset (~25 degrees to the left from horizontal line).
Dealership did 3 alignments - all parameters are in the green zone on the diagram.
I'm wondering if I should request alignments till they straiten up the steering wheel - or there is a way to pull out the wheel from the shaft and realign it back properly?
I've done this before on German cars w/o any issues.

Are there any special procedure and precautions to follow when taking out the air bag cover to get access to the shaft nut?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Your dealership messed up. You start an alignment by centering the steering wheel and work from there. Otherwise the rack isn't centered properly.

I'm not familiar with the electronics on your Hyundai but my Chrysler uses an angle sensor on the steering wheel shaft part of the stability control system. If the steering wheel isn't correctly aligned, all kinds of codes get thrown up. So, although you have pulled the steering wheel in the past, to re-center it you couldn't do that to a German product today.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some Chryslers use many Mercedes features that might not be present on less sophisticated vehicles.

The steering diagram for SF has no indication for any sensors.
As for OBDII codes - I'm very suspicious here, as I've seen none so far.

Other opinions on the steering?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yours? Yeah - sloppy work by the tech. Have them straighten it out properly.

WOW.. another "it's in the green zone"...

Lets go back and build a square by reading the numbers and not the colors..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If you know what the total toe number is for the front based on the print they should might have given you a copy of as a courtesy,, post up wht the numbers is and I can walk you making your steering wheel look cosmetically straight.. really dont need to set it up and go back through, but the copy of the finised print with numbers be of enormous value

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
WOW.. another "it's in the green zone"...

Lets go back and build a square by reading the numbers and not the colors..
No kidding. I know that this drives you as nuts as it does me. Wish we had your shop in a few of these other towns where so many of our fellow owners in the forum here are stuck with a bunch of jokers for techs.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Is it just me or most of the dealership horror stories are from Canada?
Absolutely. Granted, we have what appears to be a disproportionate representation here from Canada in the forum vs. worldwide sales, but even accounting for that, the dealer complaints are further disproportionately recorded from those Canadian owners. For some time now, it's been my opinion that Hyundai Canada runs a much sloppier service operation than they do down south of the parallel. Yes, we hear a few bad news items here as well, but not nearly as many as from Canada.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
sbr711, I'm curious. What are you thinking of doing? Equal tie rod rotations until square?
I need to know where the shop set the toe for total first before I have him tweak the ends..

Most makers have at one time or other put out TSB to tell that to center s steering wheel that is slightly off cosmetically, tweak the tie rod ends equally to center steering wheel..

Oldest trick in the book. If I know the total toe on finished product, I can tweak an end to add total toe, or subtract total toe and move steering wheel to suit for cosmetic center.. That why I want to know what the total is currently.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
No kidding. I know that this drives you as nuts as it does me. Wish we had your shop in a few of these other towns where so many of our fellow owners in the forum here are stuck with a bunch of jokers for techs.
It not the shop, it the prior training on how to read numbers and know what they mean.. most ding dongs see green, it's in spec.. lets apply the numbers you see as green, and build a box with numbers,,, is it straight and square ?

I was watching an episode of Shade Tree Mechanic on TNN years ago, they was farting with an old Taurus I think it was, and he was doing an align.. I happen to see the numbers, whopper jaw, but he says it in spec.. lets move on... I think it was the toe at rear.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
It's the company's job to make sure their techs are adequately trained. So in that sense, it really IS the shop. If your attitude about these things is any indication, whoever is in charge of your shop evidently has their head screwed on straight and is assuring that the shop techs not only have adequate training, but are applying their skills correctly. "In the green" is like saying "Close enough for government work", which is really annoying when it takes little more time to just do it right. Of course, what you could be saying is that the rest of the guys in your shop are a bunch of knuckleheads, but I hope that's not what you mean!

Still, we do hear a greater % of dealer complaints from our fellow Canadian owners, and worse, we seem to hear more complaints about Hyundai Canada corporate when it comes to resolving a problem. That last part bothers me even more, because it seems as though the corporate culture up there isn't very service oriented at the top. Perhaps that attitude is what filters down to the individual shops too often?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I need to know where the shop set the toe for total first before I have him tweak the ends..

Most makers have at one time or other put out TSB to tell that to center s steering wheel that is slightly off cosmetically, tweak the tie rod ends equally to center steering wheel..

Oldest trick in the book. If I know the total toe on finished product, I can tweak an end to add total toe, or subtract total toe and move steering wheel to suit for cosmetic center.. That why I want to know what the total is currently.
That's what I figured I just had to make sure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's the company's job to make sure their techs are adequately trained. So in that sense, it really IS the shop. If your attitude about these things is any indication, whoever is in charge of your shop evidently has their head screwed on straight and is assuring that the shop techs not only have adequate training, but are applying their skills correctly. "In the green" is like saying "Close enough for government work", which is really annoying when it takes little more time to just do it right. Of course, what you could be saying is that the rest of the guys in your shop are a bunch of knuckleheads, but I hope that's not what you mean!

Still, we do hear a greater % of dealer complaints from our fellow Canadian owners, and worse, we seem to hear more complaints about Hyundai Canada corporate when it comes to resolving a problem. That last part bothers me even more, because it seems as though the corporate culture up there isn't very service oriented at the top. Perhaps that attitude is what filters down to the individual shops too often?
I have a few friends that are techs. Things have changed over the years when it comes to these guys. It used to be a full time employment with benefits and training. These days the techs are like contractors who are only paid by the working hour according to a rate sheet for a specific job. They go to work and sit around waiting for someone to come in but, if no one comes in, no pay. For this reason, up-selling is part of the tech's routine so that he gets paid a few more hours.
A good tech can do work faster than the rate sheet which means he can do more jobs in a given day and make a good buck. He also trains himself and pays for his own courses. When he develops a good word of mouth reputation, he ends up being one very busy guy.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ok, seeing the toe is ideally 0.00", we can afford to buy a little toe-in and center the wheel and maybe improve the steering feel at same time..

What yuo need to do is work at the right front wheel..

Grab the inner tie rod end with a pair of locking plier (vise grip) with handle pointing down toward ground... loosen the lock nut just eough to allow you to unscrew the inner end from the outer maybe 1/4 turn, effectively moving the right front wheel to the left, and lock the nut firmly..

Go for test drive. See if steering wheel now pretty in center with car going straight down road. The added toe in will make steering wheel feel more responsive.

·
Registered
2009 SF LTD 3.3
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will take care of it once the cold weather passes by.
Thank you !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts