Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a 45-mile run out I-84 in the gorge and listening to the low-profile Limited wheels and tires roar out on the asphalt ruined by the idiots and their studded tires, I realized I've had enough. As litesong and others in my area can likely testify, the use of studded tires in this area just makes any road surface older than a year absolutely intolerable. For the last year or so, I've had this website bookmarked and tonight I shot them an e-mail to see what would be the best product for Emma. My plan is to thoroughly pad the front and rear wheel arches, all four doors, the inside of the trunk lid and the entire trunk compartment behind the liner.

It will likely be a month or so before I can order the stuff (it's not cheap) and I'll be blocking out a full day to strip out the arch liners, trunk and door skins to install the insulation. My goal is to make long-distance travel on our awful roads a semi-tolerable experience.

·
Registered
183 Posts
After a 45-mile run out I-84 in the gorge and listening to the low-profile Limited wheels and tires roar out on the asphalt ruined by the idiots and their studded tires, I realized I've had enough. As litesong and others in my area can likely testify, the use of studded tires in this area just makes any road surface older than a year absolutely intolerable. For the last year or so, I've had this website bookmarked and tonight I shot them an e-mail to see what would be the best product for Emma. My plan is to thoroughly pad the front and rear wheel arches, all four doors, the inside of the trunk lid and the entire trunk compartment behind the liner.

It will likely be a month or so before I can order the stuff (it's not cheap) and I'll be blocking out a full day to strip out the arch liners, trunk and door skins to install the insulation. My goal is to make long-distance travel on our awful roads a semi-tolerable experience.
AWESOME!!!!! I really hope you are going to turn this into a walk through with pictures and directions for the rest of us. I've thought about doing this myself but it seems like a HUGE undertaking!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I too will be watching this one as I have looked into it with curiosity in the past.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Insulating the rear wheel well tubs and trunk bottom on mines did a lot. A project like yours will be interesting and worth a look.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I would like to remove the entire carpet on my car and put something underneath. Just doing the wheel wells will surely help. When it rains I can hear water like if it were coming from inside. The problem with my car is anti-rust treatment. there must be oil inside the panels.

·
22,793 Posts
Just to be an insufferable PITA with this comment: There is a noticeable gap between the headliner and the metal roof if you have ever pulled out the map light or dome consoles and looked up inside. I can't help but think that some layer of insulating would benefit in abating cabin noise here, as well. But getting to it? Hmm...I'm not so sure that I am that ambitious. Yet. :wink2:

Can't wait to see the install project for the other items you mention, Andrew. Maybe this summer. Certainly not a winter project.

·
Registered
187 Posts
For some reason insulated the undercarriage of some Hyundai vehicles is not a priority of Hyundai. What a huge difference in water, road noise that would have been. Its a shame we have to do it. I know Hyundai isn't the only one. Have to admit though, they do make nice looking rides. If they would increase the cost it would be worth it. Just how much, anybody know?

·
Registered
664 Posts
How much weight is there to the sound deadening stuff? I would not want to make the car much heavier.

The rustproofing is another concern I would have in my situation.

That said, can't wait to get your results. I have thought about some measures to make my car quieter, without too much added weight.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
How much weight is there to the sound deadening stuff? I would not want to make the car much heavier.

The rustproofing is another concern I would have in my situation.

That said, can't wait to get your results. I have thought about some measures to make my car quieter, without too much added weight.
Granted it was a bigger car, but when I deadened my Intrepid it added 32 lbs, for the 80 sq feet I added. That was an incomplete install, which consisted of the 4 doors, the full gigantic trunk and part of the floorboard. It may have been enough material to do an entire E, since the car is much longer and wider. I used the original Second Skin Damplifier, and not the heavier plus type material. So, a full hardcore install, including the firewall, and tire wells and maybe the overhead would probably add 40 -50 lbs to the car. Not that much worse than a spare tire kit.
Damplifier™ 80 sq. feet - 1 Shop Pack - SSA STORE

·
Registered
639 Posts
For some reason insulated the undercarriage of some Hyundai vehicles is not a priority of Hyundai. What a huge difference in water, road noise that would have been. Its a shame we have to do it. I know Hyundai isn't the only one. Have to admit though, they do make nice looking rides. If they would increase the cost it would be worth it. Just how much, anybody know?
Agreed. It does add cost which is probably their reason for not doing it, but it does make a huge difference in customer satisfaction and quality perception to eliminate NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) levels. Sound deadening adds a "premium" aura to any car.

If you think your Hyundai is bad, my recently acquired 2011 370Z borders on ridiculous, even if it is a sports car. The noise/roar from the rear wheel wells is unbelievable, and running over small debris sounds like bbs bouncing around in there when going slow. At speed it goes away because the car is pretty loud anyway, especially due to the low profile, wide "summer" tires.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Cars of this class are not quiet because they want to keep the price in the $20,000 range. Luxury cars are quiet but you pay for it.

·
22,793 Posts
...my recently acquired 2011 370Z borders on ridiculous, even if it is a sports car. The noise/roar from the rear wheel wells is unbelievable, and running over small debris sounds like bbs bouncing around in there when going slow. At speed it goes away because the car is pretty loud anyway, especially due to the low profile, wide "summer" tires.
I didn't need to see this. I LOVE the 370Z. Kinda wanted one when I bought my first E, but listened to the wife and bought a 4 door "family" vehicle which no one rides in but me! Oh, no...has to be the Tucson if "we" go anywhere together... because it "sits up higher." She should have bought herself a Hummer with 24's. Donked it, Pimped her Whip. Something. Puh-leeze.

I'll take my E. She can have her Tucson (which is an awesome little vehicle, BTW...trying to be objective and fair). I'll still take Ingrid!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Andrew, did you ever hear back from the B-Quite staff?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrew, did you ever hear back from the B-Quite staff?
Yes I did. Sorry I never thought to post it so here ya go. :thumbsup:

Andrew,

You're definitely on the correct track with your plans of Ultimate throughout. Adding Vcomp to the doors can be an issue in some vehicles due to available space. Vcomp needs to be applied to the "dry side" of the vapor barrier, rather than the "cavity" of the door. Some vehicle manufacturers tend to minimize dead space in this location so that they can maximize shoulder and elbow room.

Layering Ultimate is a good idea as well and will provide better overall results.

I'd encourage you to consider Ultimate and Vcomp for the floor and lower interior firewall areas as well - there's always the potential to augment oem materials and stop even more noise in these areas.

Thank you for your interest in B-Quiet. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Wade

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks! And interesting...

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
My sound-deadening project was crude but effective: Give the Elantra to my spouse so she wouldn't have to ride the bus, and buy a Veracruz for myself.

Interpret that however you like ^_^

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sound Deadener Showdown

I thought the info on this website was interesting. He's selling his stuff and there's no comparison info, but quite a bit of good how to.

Can't post links yet but look for Sounddeadenershowdown.

Good luck, looking forward to hear how it goes

·
22,793 Posts
My sound-deadening project was crude but effective: Give the Elantra to my spouse so she wouldn't have to ride the bus, and buy a Veracruz for myself.

Interpret that however you like ^_^
How'd you get so smart, Don? Sheer genius! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts