Hyundai Forums banner

941 - 951 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I no longer order anything online, but I had heard years ago with the association between Wal*Mart & Warren being their OEM.

Not much activity on this thread anymore, unless everything has been discussed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great, now I can go through & decipher 48 pages of different opinions of many who's driving habits vary. :confused: :)

I only drive 5K or less a year I want to get that one year interval on warmer months. Don't believe my oil is even a bit dirty @ 4K though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would be scared to put walmart oil or even whatever the dealer uses. I have been searching for something top quality and found these for my 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 L
www.searchforparts.com/oil-change/hyundai-2017-elantra-2.0l-f
and
amazon.com/Royal-Purple-12520-API-Licensed-Performance/dp/B000BO0532

I'm ready to buy one of the above, any suggestions before I do so? I hate to say this but I drive with a heavy foot and the engine revs up more than the average driver, so I need something tough as nails for engine protection. Thanks!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I used the recommended Quaker full synth while I was within the 100K mile warranty. Since out of warranty, I have used Castrol full synth (I get it on sale). I change it at 7k miles. I'm at 153k miles and going strong!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have found that all good synthetic oils when used with a high end oil filter comes out to be expensive. I want peace of mind. My father owned a mechanic shop for 15 years. He's pulled out so many engines from people who refused to use synthetic oil, it wasn't even funny. He told me just to use the cheapest oil and change it every 3,000 miles. I told him, "Yeah, so then my engine will be the one sitting over there on the bench with all of the sludge in it. NO THANKS." After years of bantering back and forth with him, I finally got him hooked on synthetics.

I've tried Royal Purple, Quaker State, Valvoline, Red Line, Castrol... you name it. All of them were expensive. I'd buy the oil and filter, bring it to the dealer and have them put it in. Well, doing this every few months got to not only be expensive, BUT A ROYAL PAIN! There was one time I went in for an oil change, and I was stuck in that waiting room for nearly 5 hours until they finished with my car! They were so busy, that it took forever to get my car. So not only was the oil changes expensive, it started to get time consuming. Very time consuming. So then one of my friends who works for a government agency told me that if I hated doing all of those oil changes, why not try that Amsoil stuff? He said they have tons of government vehicles using it and in over 20 years of using it, they've never had an engine or transmission failure, plus with my Elantra, I could go 15,000 miles between oil changes. The Amsoil oil and filter cost me about the same as I was paying for Red Line, Royal Purple and Castrol. And now I'm doing oil changes 1/3rd of the time! I researched this company and found tons of great things about it. For starters, these are the people that pioneered synthetic oil in the first place! I had no idea. I've seen comparison tests against them and Quaker State, Valvoline, Mobil 1 and lots of others and these people came out being the best out of all of them. Believe me, I have NO PROBLEMS paying $100 for an oil change as long as I can do this every 15,000 miles. I'd gladly pay this as long as I can go 3x longer than before. And let me tell you... this oil has blown away my expectations. After I started going to 8,000 and 10,000 miles, I was scared to death for the very first time using it. A friend of mine came over and parked next to me. I had 10,000 miles on my oil and he had just over 1,000 on his. We both pulled out the dipsticks and compared how the oils looked. His oil was very dark and really looked like it was used pretty good. Mine was still golden brown even with 10,000 miles on it!!! When I got to 15,000 miles, I watched the quick lube place drain it. It looked amazing. ZERO SLUDGE and WAS NOT BLACK! Still golden brown. I bet I could have driven for thousands of miles more EASILY if I wanted to. Their warranty only covers 15,000 miles, so I wasn't going over that.

So let me tell you all... based on my 10+ years experience using this oil and trying every synthetic oil on the shelf, hands down, Amsoil has cost me the least amount of money and saved me a ton of money. With my 2005 Elantra automatic (damned I wished I had a manual), I was getting 34-35 MPG on the highway. That was the best I could get. After switching the fluids to Amsoil, I started hitting 38 MPG. I was happy as a clam. So basically, I was getting a rebate at the pump. Over a year, all of those fuel savings end up being more than I paid for the oil. So, you bet, I'm a happy customer.

So, TyroneJ, in answer to your question, YES, go with the Amsoil stuff. Royal Purple is awesome, too, but plan on changing it way more often. If I wanted to pay almost $300/yr for oil changes, I'd buy a BMW or Mercedes, not a Hyundai. I like my Hyundai. I've owned many. One of my first was a 1989 Hyundai Excel GL. I wish I had pictures of that thing. They were all at my mom's house and she lost all of my photos when she moved. I would have loved to scan them in to show how it looked.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My 1988 Accord engine was clean and ran like new after 20 years and 220k miles of conventional oil every 5000 miles.
Electrical gremlins started popping up, got too hard to get in and out of the low seats, and it smelled old.

My 2006 Toyota Matrix engine was clean and running like new after 12 years and 68k miles of conventional oil every 5000 miles.
A hit and run driver totaled it. It could have gone a lot longer.

Modern SN oils labeled "conventional" are actually semi-synthetic to meet the specs.
I'd prefer any budget oil that meets the spec that's clean over any "boutique" oil that's dirty with too many miles on it.

I'm using Walmart's SuperTech Synth in my Tucson. Synth only because it's GDI.
And, you guessed it: every 5000 miles or 1 year.
Because of COVID I'll be changing in the fall after about 9 months (don't want to do it in the winter again) and ~1500 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's too expensive to change it every 5,000 miles. I've already done the numbers many times during long commutes. I was trying to find the oil that would save me the most money. You're not saving any money with conventional. You're giving up better fuel economy.

I once had a Saturn Ion that I use to use to drive over 180 miles per day doing deliveries. It got to be so annoying to constantly have to stop at the oil change place every few weeks. At the time I was getting 29 MPG. That was the best the car would do. So I had the engine oil changed to Amsoil and then had the guy flush the transmission with Amsoil ATF. I tested it again and week after week I got 33.7 MPG. That's a huge gain. (Again, NOT numbers I read in sales literature. These are numbers I experienced PERSONALLY.) Had I used conventional oil, I would have never seen that gain in fuel economy. So using your oil would cost me not only in excessive oil changes, but worse fuel economy. Plus all of the hours of personal time lost that I could not get back.

Do the math @ $2.75/gal. Let's suppose I drove the car 100,000 miles using your oil and changed it every 5,000 miles. That would be a whopping 20 oil changes. And let's say fuel costs were a constant. 100,000 miles of driving divided by 29 MPG = 3,448 gallons of fuel. @ $2.75/gallon that would cost me $9,482 in fuel costs during that time.

Now my way:

Same $2.75/gallon. But now 100,000 miles changing the oil every 25,000 miles is only 4 oil changes using the Signature Series 25,000 mile oil. Now if you take the 100,000 miles divided by 33.7 MPG is 2,967 gallons of fuel. @ $2.75 gallon that ends up to be $8,159. That comes out to over $1,300 less just in fuel costs. Now in the Ion, it used cartridge filters that I changed every 7,500. Those were about $6/ea. So that would be 13 oil filters used in 100,000 miles. The car used 6 quarts of oil each oil change. So to go 100,000 miles, 24 quarts would do it. I think I paid almost $10 or $11 per quart back then or something close. So let's say it was over $260 for the oil and $80 for all of the filters. That's a total cost of nearly $350 to go 100,000 miles. That is DIRT CHEAP to maintain a car!!!

So how would I have an advantage to use conventional oil? I'd have to get my hands dirty changing it all of those extra times. Plus all of the trips disposing the used oil ( which I hate doing.)

All of the above is not stuff that I read in sales literature. These are numbers that I ran when I was desperately trying to cut my costs down.

I'm at a loss why anyone would not want to agree with it. Why would you #1 want to spend more money #2 change your oil more often #3 spend more time away from family or other things and #4 hurt the environment by using up natural resources. At the time, I was just concerned about #1, #2 and #3. But then other people brought #4 to my attention as time went on.

If you are not clear on something I made here, please let me know. Most of this stuff is from memory.

The whole purpose of this post is to help people STAY AWAY from dealers and quick lubes. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Do the math on the 5,000 mile oil change and you'll see that it's a huge scam to keep you coming back to the dealer so they can keep selling you more and more stuff.

941 - 951 of 951 Posts