Hyundai Forums banner

921 - 940 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
No it's just a observation the the significance is to your choosing.

When I was using dinosaurs it was not like new at the time of extraction.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2013 Elantra is off warranty now, I have always used the OEM filter , and mostly Quaker State 5W-20 Advanced Durability regular oil,changed at 6 month intervals. I am retired so I don't drive too many k's now having 24,500 KL.now. With this oil change regime, the engine has run smoothly with no undue noise at start up.

But I have started in a new direction now, going with the Fram Ultra XG9688 and Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic oil. I have not done the oil change yet, waiting for the oil to arrive tomorrow. What I have not decided upon yet is the oil change interval, I am thinking 6-7000 kl. or every 10 months.

The OEM 26300 35504 filter is well built, with a thick casing, and sturdy filter cartridge, my concern is the filtering ability vs the Fram Ultra

The Fram did not weigh as much as the OEM filter, but it was close,and Fram is known for thinner housing material, but as long as it is strong enough. The Fram filter is smaller in diameter and a little taller.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My 2013 Elantra is off warranty now, I have always used the OEM filter , and mostly Quaker State 5W-20 Advanced Durability regular oil,changed at 6 month intervals. I am retired so I don't drive too many k's now having 24,500 KL.now. With this oil change regime, the engine has run smoothly with no undue noise at start up.

But I have started in a new direction now, going with the Fram Ultra XG9688 and Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic oil. I have not done the oil change yet, waiting for the oil to arrive tomorrow. What I have not decided upon yet is the oil change interval, I am thinking 6-7000 kl. or every 10 months.

The OEM 26300 35504 filter is well built, with a thick casing, and sturdy filter cartridge, my concern is the filtering ability vs the Fram Ultra

The Fram did not weigh as much as the OEM filter, but it was close,and Fram is known for thinner housing material, but as long as it is strong enough. The Fram filter is smaller in diameter and a little taller.

I have used synthetic on my 2013 Elantra since new with OEM filter and a 5000 mile (not kl) OCI. Either Mobil 1, Pennzoil Plat or QSUD. the OCI is a tough one, if I lived in Canada I would go with a 0W20 year round and probably keep my 5000 mile interval. I would not worry about the filtration issue but I would want the best flow at at start up in your winters. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually 0W-20 oil viscosity is something I found out about recently, I read somewhere that the 0W-20 rated oil may be a bit more fortified than the 5-20. i am thinking that 0W will perhaps give better oil flow in winter at start up, and have read that engine wear happens at this time.

The other thing I am curious about, and may discover: will your engine run better, and will you get better fuel economy with synthetic oil? The one i have coming is the Mobil 1 AFE 0-20.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You will get slightly better gas mileage but it may be undetectable to you. My experience has been a somewhat smoother engine when I changed over an engine to syn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am changing the oil today, I am curious to experience this Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20. Actually the Quaker State oil 5-20 was just recently changed, but I will save it for my Geo Metro and also I can use it for chain lube oil for my chainsaw, it may not be a bad thing to have a fairly clean internal engine to start with. Also will be installing the Fram Ultra xg9688

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that the anti drain back valve may work better on the Fram. I have less startup rattle than with the stock Hyundai filter.
I agree! there is no start up rattle at all, it runs smooth and quiet, this engine runs well with the 0w-20 synthetic and Fram Ultra oil filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had 1st oil change done.
112km[last one was done a 107km]
I am second owner .[Traded 07 Mazda CX-7 GAS GUSSLER]
After reading this thread decided on Hyundai to do the job.
OEM Filter
QS 5W-20 ADV DURABILITY oil.
$49.99
And declined the Fuel Additive[$13.00].
Using Lucas Fuel treatment every 5 tank refills
Regards

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Oil change and fog light bulb replacement today. I used Quaker State Ultimate Durability Synthetic 5W30 and Napa Gold 1334 filter. First time using this filter but its really built just like the stock one. No install issues and no noise so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve literally never changed the oil in my MD...it’s been done 100% at the same Hyundai dealer every 5000 miles ($30 with coupon x 22 times)
**** for $30... even going through RockAuto to get an OEM filter and 4 quarts of oil is $20...I’ll pay someone $10 to do it for me everyday of the week

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I’ve literally never changed the oil in my MD...it’s been done 100% at the same Hyundai dealer every 5000 miles ($30 with coupon x 22 times)**** for $30... even going through RockAuto to get an OEM filter and 4 quarts of oil is $20...I’ll pay someone $10 to do it for me everyday of the week

Although I am slowly getting to the point of having someone do it for me I cringh at the dealer using the least expensive bulk oil they can find that may not even be the correct viscocity for my engine. I would have to bring my own oil and hope they use it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Although I am slowly getting to the point of having someone do it for me I cringh at the dealer using the least expensive bulk oil they can find that may not even be the correct viscocity for my engine. I would have to bring my own oil and hope they use it.

Find a highly respected private import shop that works on Audi/VW/BMW that has reasonable oil change prices and tell them you will bring your own filter, so they don't have to order one in. They will most likely have Audi/VW speced oil that is FAR superior to the Hyundai dealer even if they use Hyundai's speced oil that is nothing to special. You will most likely get a person that has more attention to details since they work on premium cars and in most cases own those premium cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used Amazon 5W-30 after reading the 5W-30 is better for protection and the 5W-20 is for better mpg at the cost of a thinner film and possibly more wear. No problems with Amazon SN+ 5W-30 and Hyundai OEM filter. If anything, it has run smoother and more efficient than any oil change I have had from any shop or the dealer.

921 - 940 of 941 Posts
About this Discussion
940 Replies
130 Participants
Bismarck318
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing