Hyundai Forums banner

901 - 920 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
my philosophy, if you want less headaches, go with oem. This applies to many parts. You get better fit or less issues like you had. Introduce variables (aftermarket parts) and savings may be there, but performance may be less than desired.

That is one reason i use oem filters. Another reason is to get tiger-heli all wound up, since he may get a kickback from ebay when you buy the t-h fram 6 pack. :grin2:
lol!

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
My philosophy, if you want less headaches, go with OEM. This applies to many parts. You get better fit or less issues like you had. Introduce variables (aftermarket parts) and savings may be there, but performance may be less than desired.

That is one reason I use OEM filters. Another reason is to get Tiger-Heli all wound up, since he may get a kickback from Ebay when you buy the T-H Fram 6 pack. :grin2:

Yeah I have mostly used OEM filters on this car but read a lot of good things about the Boss filters and got the oil change special. Definitely not worth the hassle with this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have a Quick Question I just bought a 2012 Elantra and did an oil change and used Mobil 1 5W-20 High Mileage Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil is that a problem ?? because I read a few post here saying don't use High Mileage Oil here I hope I did not mess-up any input would be great Thanks

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have been using exactly that oil for about a year now. All good so far. What exactly are the reasons stated for NOT using high mileage claim oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was worry about it because I read some where in here them saying not to use High mileage oil and thats what I used
Mobil 1 5W-20 High Mileage Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil with OEM oil filter .. Just bought the car and just want it to last because I read some people have had motor problems knocking and tacking out of no where and I didn't want to fall in the case after just buying this .. I really like it and my wife does to .. Thanks

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My only objection to people switching to a HM oil is that in many case the engine is running fine but they have over 75,000 on it and feel (via the marketing machine) that they need a HM oil. If there are no consumption issues, no leaks etc then IMO there is no need for a HM oil. The added seal conditioners etc just are not needed. Many drivers go the life of the vehicle without HM oils. Now, running a HM oil will do no harm either, but in most cases IMO just not necessary.

·
Registered
867 Posts
That is me exactly. I have never had any significant oil consumption, but I figured what the heck - I'll switch to HM. And here I am....... all still good at 125 k miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the negative long term effect of skipping oil changes

I'm looking at a lease-return 2015 Elantra at a dealer that has about 35k miles on it. They have the carfax available but it only shows oil changes (done at dealer) at 3k, 7k, 23k.

Sure, they might have done their own oil change or had it done somewhere that doesn't report to carfax, but suppose they went 16k between one oil change and now 12k before the next ... what long term risk am I looking at if I buy it and do regular oil changes. Is damage already done? Is there any way I can tell?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you are getting a good deal and want the car, I say go for it. Should still have warranty. And with modern oil there should be little or no damage. Do a couple of 3K oil changes to clean it up if necessary. I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm a little late to this thread, but want to ask about "OEM" vs. Mobil 1 Full Synthetic vs warranty.

My car still has about one year of OEM warranty. it also has a 5 year 125K extended warranty. (bought is with 18.5K)

Given the issues (although not specifically with the 1.8 NU engines) with sludge and the like, I am concerned with using anything else besides the recommended (Quaker State) oil and OEM filters.

What is the general consensus with maintaining warranty and brand of oil? The manual also says to use fuel treatment every change as well.

I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic with either Mobil 1, or Fram oil filters. I would hate to void my warranty or have a claim denied if Hyundai is very specific with warranty coverage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can use ANY brand of oil that meets spec. And Mobil 1 certainly does.
I thought so, but you never know. I bought a bottle of the Hyundai fuel injector cleaner - it was nearly $20. I guess I wasn't pricing dealer oil changes and specific requirements to maintain my warranty when I bought this car. :surprise:

I can get Mobil One for $23 at Wally World. With a filter I'm out about $30. Most places around here not allow you to bring your own oil and if they did, they charge you the same amount. Those that use or can get full synthetic up-charge you if you request it. :frown:

My concern stems from a major warranty issue I had with my wife's car. She needed her entire head replaced and they fought me about not having proof of oil changes. I did all the oil changes myself. The authorized garage stood by me and requested an inspector come out and see the condition of the engine. They didn't care one bit that I have video taped every oil change, took pictures of the parts and the work done. At the end of the day, they wanted papers from an authorized servicer or garage.

Definitely don't want these issues with my Hyundai. :|

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I thought so, but you never know. I bought a bottle of the Hyundai fuel injector cleaner - it was nearly $20. I guess I wasn't pricing dealer oil changes and specific requirements to maintain my warranty when I bought this car. :surprise:

I can get Mobil One for $23 at Wally World. With a filter I'm out about $30. Most places around here not allow you to bring your own oil and if they did, they charge you the same amount. Those that use or can get full synthetic up-charge you if you request it. :frown:

My concern stems from a major warranty issue I had with my wife's car. She needed her entire head replaced and they fought me about not having proof of oil changes. I did all the oil changes myself. The authorized garage stood by me and requested an inspector come out and see the condition of the engine. They didn't care one bit that I have video taped every oil change, took pictures of the parts and the work done. At the end of the day, they wanted papers from an authorized servicer or garage.

Definitely don't want these issues with my Hyundai. :|
I bought two bottles of Techron at Autzone for $15.26. The difference is my label does not have Hyundai on it. It is a common item to be on sale at the part stores.

Mobil 1 has a $12 rebate right now.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/17-off-motor-oil-march-may-2018

I like Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Plantinum since after rebate very reasonable. Dealership uses Valvoline Premium Conventional for basic oil change. Brand is not the issue. Meeting SM spec and following the proper severe interval is required. Quaker State is not required.

As far as warranty my understanding you need to have paper receipts. I also post online at MyHyundai and keep a written log. Hopefully Hyundai would not give a hassle if warranty work is required that needs oil change verification. I know I am doing everything on my part to ensure my Elantra gets excellent care.

I am the authorized servicer in my garage which is good enough for me.:grin2:

Warranty work depends on which dealership you go to and who you talk to. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
Do what is required. Document. Let go...in that order.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Daughters 2013 Elantra has 54k with dealership oil changes using non synthetic oil. It is a lil noisey on cold until warm. It is ok to switch to synthetic or should i keep using non?
Would synthetic help with the infamous noisey cold start on these?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Safe to switch. You can even go back and forth if you wish. However, if conventional is working out fine just stay with it. I have no idea if the cold start noise would go away, may be worth a try to see. My 2013 Elantra is normal, I mean all engines are noisier when first started cold but no real clicking sound etc. Been using synthetic since first oil change and OCI is 5000 miles for me which takes 6-9 months at my rate of driving.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Bought the Napa filter again along with 3 Valvoline Syn 5W30 quarts. I had 1.25 quarts of Mag1 5W30 Syn left over from last year and mixed them. The quart bottles are so much easier to pour but so much harder to fill with the old oil.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Bought the Napa filter again along with 3 Valvoline Syn 5W30 quarts. I had 1.25 quarts of Mag1 5W30 Syn left over from last year and mixed them. The quart bottles are so much easier to pour but so much harder to fill with the old oil.
I solved that one with a monster-sized funnel. Big neck + large capacity = no messin' around :gunsmilie:

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
I solved that one with a monster-sized funnel. Big neck + large capacity = no messin' around :gunsmilie:

Yeah until you knock over the little bottle or overfill it and spill. I did both on my last oil change and of course the wife and kid come out right after I make a mess. At least I had a large piece of cardboard down 🤬

901 - 920 of 941 Posts
About this Discussion
940 Replies
130 Participants
Bismarck318
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing